PDA

View Full Version : do celeron and sempron has dual core and how much are they

afeasfaerw23231233
January 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM
?

~LoKe
January 7th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Semprons and Celeron D's are single core as far as I know.

khensucat
January 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
The processor I have, the Intel E2140, is supposed to be a Celeronish option to the Core2Duo - the same thing with half the L2 cache. At $75, it was a heck of a buy :D

mips
January 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Celerons & Semptrons suck imho. They lack cache which makes them a lot slower than their bigger brothers. Personally I stay away from them, I learnt my lesson when i purchased a celerom m laptop over two years ago.

Jhongy
January 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Celerons & Semptrons suck imho. They lack cache which makes them a lot slower than their bigger brothers. Personally I stay away from them, I learnt my lesson when i purchased a celerom m laptop over two years ago.

Some Celerons in the past have proven to be excellent value for money -- I had an old Celeron 1GHz 'A', which was basically an underclocked P3. Bumped up the front-side bus and it was faster than the equivalent P3, at about a quarter of the price. Ran it 24/7 for years -- still works OK, but it's in my parts box.

Mike'sHardLinux
January 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Ahhh. That reminds me of the Celeron 300A, overclocked to 450MHz! A 50% increase!! Those were the days \\:D/

These days, I usually recommend to my friends not to overclock. You are getting a whole lot more power per dollar today than back then, and even the weaker processors aren't too shabby. Maybe I am old fashioned? I've always felt overclocking to be more of an enthusiast thing rather than simply trying to get more bang for the buck.

jespdj
January 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
do celeron and sempron has dual core and how much are they
That question is impossible to answer, because the names "Celeron" and "Sempron" have been used for different kinds of processors. There was a Pentium II Celeron, long before dual-core processors were available.

Most Celeron processors until now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors) are single-core processors, but according to this list of future Intel Celeron processors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors) there will at least in the future be some dual-core Celeron processors (Celeron E1200, E1600).

According to Wikipedia it's the same kind of thing with AMD Sempron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Sempron_microprocessors) processors; most of them are single-core, but according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sempron#Future_plans) there probably will be dual-core Semprons in the future.

As to how much they cost, you'll have to look that up yourself in advertisements of local computer shops.

Jhongy
January 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Ahhh. That reminds me of the Celeron 300A, overclocked to 450MHz! A 50% increase!! Those were the days \\:D/

These days, I usually recommend to my friends not to overclock. You are getting a whole lot more power per dollar today than back then, and even the weaker processors aren't too shabby. Maybe I am old fashioned? I've always felt overclocking to be more of an enthusiast thing rather than simply trying to get more bang for the buck.

I agree -- in fact, even for most games, even budget CPUs are more than capable these days.

khensucat
January 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I run my two cores, on the E2140, at the stock 1.60 per piece, but my hubby has OC'd them to 2.8Ghz per core, on the stock cooling fan, while playing intense 3d games, and on the stock fan and case cooling, they only raised 2 degrees. And that's with throttling, etc... turned off. Again, not a bad value. I'd have to recommend it. Although, at only 1mb cache, there are certainly more capable Allendale procs if you can afford them ;)

For me, though, that's more than I'll ever need. I just keep them at the 1.6 for chip life. I'm particular like that, I guess.

Moustacha
January 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Semprons will only suffer a tiny performance hit from having half the L2 cache of the bigger brother Athlon64s. Don't know why you'd want to go and shoot yourself in the foot when you can get the bigger brothers for dirt cheap. I got my x2 3600+ (some might call it a sempron in disguise but it performs on par with a x2 3800) for about AUD$90

afeasfaerw23231233
January 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
yes. celeron and sempron are more than enough to me. i have a celeron 700mhz and still work fine! the lowest model of celeron and sempron in our store are 420 and LE-1100 costing $32 each. i just wonder when can i get a celeron or sempron dual core at this price as all cpu [except celeron and sempron] are dual core already. i also want to know how fast is celeron or sempron while compared to p4 cpu. i once touch a sempron 2700+ [ a few years ago] and find it much faster than my p4 1.8G! i also remeber that my celeron 700mhz is much faster than PII 350mhz. would a celeron 420 and sempron le-1100 faster than a p4 3.6G ? i don't need a high-end computer since i don't play games or do extensive graphic or video editing. so i usually buy the cheapest available computer components [save a lot money!] actually a second hand box may satisfy my need, but old computer parts are VERY expensive. one gig of sdram cost more than $120! and old parts are not so reliable too.