PDA

View Full Version : Campaign for Abolition of 'lol' in Ubuntu Forums

Blutack
January 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Ban it.

Example:

im not having much luck with this at all lol but i am liking liinux its great lol.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=660439

I propose a filter replacing offending word with something (potentially) more amusing.

Example:

im not having much luck with this at all...That's what SHE said!

Maybe 1 in 100 would work out...
Ideas, comments, and the inevitable wit who will reply with nothing but lol.

sajro
January 7th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Smell the torches? You're about to be flamed.

I think this is a good idea. Lol and related 1337speak is useless and IQ leeching. If the people can't bother to type "haha" or such then they don't need to be laughing on the internet. (That sounds extremely stupid, but the meaning is there.)

However, the replacement idea is plain absurd. It should just disappear.

vambo
January 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Ban all tla's I say :tongue:

IgnacioMiller
January 7th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Lol, you're so silly lol.

(Just kidding ;))

Bachstelze
January 7th, 2008, 03:32 AM
lol

(kind of looks like a dude who just met a couple cops :p)

TeaSwigger
January 7th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Slow news day? ;)

~LoKe
January 7th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I'm a Nazi about everything pertaining to the English language, but I don't really mind "lol". It's one of the more tolerable abbreviations, and I'd rather see that than "hahahaha". It is often overused and can be irritating, but compared to a lot of made up works people are using, this is easily the most acceptable. Hey, even I use it sometimes.

CCNA_student
January 7th, 2008, 03:43 AM
It seems that I am not the only one who tires of these acronyms, I but I do not support what you are asking for. If someone uses lol or something stupid like that, I say let them. As for me, I will attempt to use proper English.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

xyz
January 7th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Would laughing out loud be more appropriate? It's almonst a phrase.

I like LOL!

yabbadabbadont
January 7th, 2008, 03:46 AM
:lolflag:

(Now I have to go and punish myself for using that abomination... ;))

Nano Geek
January 7th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I don't think we should ban it.

Why is saying "haha" any better than saying "lol"?
Neither one is expressing the sound most of us make when we laugh. In fact, according to the movies, only bad guys laugh using "haha"; often times with a "mu" added to the beginning of the phrase. As in "MUHAHAHA."

So I suggest we ban the phrase "haha" as it refers to, and is mainly used, by evil persons. ;)

p_quarles
January 7th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I think that "lol" should be filtered and automatically replaced with one of those "lollerskates" or "roflcopter" animated ascii images. Seriously.

( ;) )

boast
January 7th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I think Chuck Norris sigs should be banned

Presto123
January 7th, 2008, 03:49 AM
How about ROFLSHIBATF?

:P

(Rolling on the floor laughing so hard I broke all the furniture)

p_quarles
January 7th, 2008, 03:53 AM
How about ROFLSHIBATF?

:P

(Rolling on the floor laughing so hard I broke all the furniture)
Personally, I'm more fond of "iicslolrtmimeatteuwm"*

*if I can't stop laughing out loud right this minute I might explode and take the entire universe with me.

xyz
January 7th, 2008, 03:57 AM
*if I can't stop laughing out loud right this minute I might explode and take the entire universe with me.

oh my oh my we wouldn't want you to explode!! I think it's high time we hire some National Guards here....LOL which now stands for:

Liberation Of Laughter.

ryanVickers
January 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM
we better ban all smilies too - sign of emotion / facial expression... you know...

;)

oh yeah, and all sigs and avatars too, and anything that sounds like a person saying it versus just stating a fact or instructions...

all forms of self expression and personification of us robots must die!! :p

alwiap
January 7th, 2008, 03:59 AM
lol

toupeiro
January 7th, 2008, 04:02 AM

Can we campaign for the abolition of threads like this?

Praadur
January 7th, 2008, 04:03 AM
There's a certain irony in a situation like this, where a person with a Chuck Norris signature complains about the internet-borne abbreviation LOL. How can one bash one somewhat overused locution whilst supporting another? That seems rather silly.

Still, taking the topic frankly, I say live and let live. After all, if we banned everyone that ticked our vocabulist pride, then in my case I'd say we'd have to ban everyone who dropped nessescary bits from words like colour and jewellery! I don't believe that at all though as everyone has their own way of conveying and expressing ideas, and providing that that expression isn't causing any real amount of physical suffering (and who could put claim to that?) then... well, I think it's absurd to do anything other than let people be.

ryanVickers
January 7th, 2008, 04:03 AM
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

wow... this whole thing is just.... lol ;)

draggedout32
January 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I've got only one thing to say: LOL! :lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

DeadSuperHero
January 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Why not just get rid of "the" while we're at it, it's obviously overused, as is almost every other word.

EDITED THROUGH FILTER:
I love supporting censorship!

ryanVickers
January 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Why not just get rid of "the" while we're at it, it's obviously overused, as is almost every other word.

EDITED THROUGH FILTER:
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Presto123
January 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
lol

(kind of looks like a dude who just met a couple cops :p)

"lAl" Is this a girl?

xyz
January 7th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Who's that very bad person who FIRST came up with that LOL thing?
Just so we can throw him/her in a Roman Arena and have famished lions eat him/her up!! See who's laughing now.

ryanVickers
January 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Who's that very bad person who FIRST came up with that LOL thing?
Just so we can throw him/her in a Roman Arena and have famished lions eat him/her up!! See who's laughing now.

I am! :p

although I have to say, this guy was a big inspiration to keep building some of my scripts ;)

draggedout32
January 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM

EDITED THROUGH FILTER:
We could create a filter that replaces "the" with "teh" since "teh" is teh new 1337.

igknighted
January 7th, 2008, 04:31 AM
this thread amuses me lol

NovaAesa
January 7th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I like lol, lolz, lawl, rofl, and all associated acronyms. You can't take them away from me!!!!!111 Noooo!!!!11!!11!!1!!1!111!!!!!!!!!oneoneoneeleven

Blindraven
January 7th, 2008, 04:39 AM
lawl.

Dngrsone
January 7th, 2008, 04:44 AM
http://xs510.xs.to/xs510/06514/Darnkids.gif Why, when I was a youngster, we didn't have any hip sayings like OMG and LOL, by golly!

http://xs34.xs.to/pics/05252/icon_rofl.gif

Praadur
January 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I like lol, lolz, lawl, rofl, and all associated acronyms. You can't take them away from me!!!!!111 Noooo!!!!11!!11!!1!!1!111!!!!!!!!!oneoneoneeleven

Now that's the kind of stuff that could make one twitch visibly, yet still I'd curl up in a fetal ball to support your right to use these euphemisms! Or something like that.

Tundro Walker
January 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I smell FireFox extension! Quick, take the "Swedish Chef" FF extension, and just modify it so it'll replace words like "lol" with other stuff, instead of replacing words with "Bork, Bork, Bork!"

tuebinger
January 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ban LOL( on an Internet bulletin board)? That is something of an oxymoron. LOL.

Acglaphotis
January 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
We'll just get some new acronym/use the smilie.

xyz
January 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Just popping in to say I'm so happy and proud this thread hasn't turned into sour yogurt. We've been "up to par".

Someone started a thread about how folks here "have gotten bad, impolite and so on". I think he said he'd been shocked by the change of attitude on ubuntuforums because he'd been away from forums for a month or so.

That's all, Folks! Thnx.

forrestcupp
January 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
We could create a filter that replaces "the" with "teh" since "teh" is teh new 1337.
A huge pet peeve of mine

lawl is even dumber than lol.

Let's get rid of them all.

Pethegreat
January 8th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Forum users should set the example, and not use that 3 letter word for laughter.

I don't use it. I like to think of my self as a tad more mature than a 6 year old. I do like WTF though. It is the only acronym to describe some of what I expirence using Ubuntu.

I don't see the reason for smiles either. They don't anything, and they are another thing I need to load up. People do enjoy them, so I won't interfere with their enjoyment of .gif files.

I think Chuck Norris sigs should be banned
Chuck has been an internet oddity for 2 years now. You would think that he would have died out by now.

fedex1993
January 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM
The WORD CAN NOT BE BAND AT ALL. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. ITS FREEDOM OF SPEAK IT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING BAD AT ALL JUST?BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE THE WORD YOU CAN JUST IGNORE IT

Dngrsone
January 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Dude, no need to shout.

And for crying out loud, use a little grammar... people are less likely to ignore you if you do those two things.

-grubby
January 8th, 2008, 04:07 AM
what's the big deal? As long as people use decent grammar (AKA: not u r goin 2 da store) I don't really care

p_quarles
January 8th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Sometimes a smiley is the only way of telling the difference between something coming across as a joke or coming across as a personal attack. Sure, if everyone who posted in an online forum were professional writers, we probably wouldn't need emoticons and related mood indicators. That's one of the biggest "ifs" I can imagine, though.

ryanVickers
January 8th, 2008, 04:12 AM
very true - except in threads like this one that was an intensional flame war and referenced crushing peoples skulls into dust frequently... that usually is assumed to be a joke ;)

SomeGuyDude
January 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I'd really like it if things would remain in standard English. This isn't IRC, there's no rush to get your post up as quickly as possible. In a chat room or multiplayer gaming you need to get things out fast, here there's plenty of time to proofread.

ryanVickers
January 8th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I'd really like it if things would remain in standard English. This isn't IRC, there's no rush to get your post up as quickly as possible. In a chat room or multiplayer gaming you need to get things out fast, here there's plenty of time to proofread.

I beg to differ! I find huge pressure to try and be the first to respond to any post, especially if your going to be the first to help someone and you know the answer! :D

p_quarles
January 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I beg to differ! I find huge pressure to try and be the first to respond to any post, especially if your going to be the first to help someone and you know the answer! :D
That's not really a legitimate reason. It isn't a contest, and "first post!" should not be anyone's goal.

ryanVickers
January 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
That's not really a legitimate reason. It isn't a contest, and "first post!" should not be anyone's goal.

true, but if your like me you will go as fast as possible while not going fast enough to degrade the quality or usefulness of your response...

Dngrsone
January 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I don't really care

That's nice.

I do.

Perhaps I am just another grammar nazi. Or maybe I was brainwashed by a grizzled old English teacher. Either way, I am greatly influenced by a person's grammar (or lack thereof).

For instance, I saw an advertisement not three hours ago at the local gas station for an "Appliance's Fixer."

Okay, that alone gives me cause not to entrust my "appliance's" to that individual. There was plenty more-- quotes around non-phrase word groups, more inappropriate apostrophes and such similar. I saw no need to memorize anything at the time, so I can't provide specific examples.

Likewise, a person attempting to dispense advice (not "advise," damnit!) in a grammatically-challenged fashion will not get much consideration from me.

ryanVickers
January 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
lol that's great :p

like the Dilbert joke "fur sale"... there was a store that said "fur sale" in the window, and Dogbert was opposing the sale of fur, but then the manager said "I'm not selling fur! The whole store is 'fur sale'"!

... really makes you want to do business there doesn't it... :p

p_quarles
January 8th, 2008, 05:02 AM
That's nice.

I do.

Perhaps I am just another grammar nazi. Or maybe I was brainwashed by a grizzled old English teacher. Either way, I am greatly influenced by a person's grammar (or lack thereof).

For instance, I saw an advertisement not three hours ago at the local gas station for an "Appliance's Fixer."

Okay, that alone gives me cause not to entrust my "appliance's" to. There was plenty more, quotes around non-phrase words, more inappropriate apostrophes and such. I saw no need to memorize anything at the time.

Likewise, a person attempting to dispense advice (not "advise," damnit!) in a grammatically-challenged fashion will not get much consideration from me.
As a colleague of the grizzled old English teacher who brainwashed you, I have to say that you made at least three grammatical errors in that post, one of which was potentially just an omitted word. Then there's the awkwardness of the phrase "non-phrase words," which is more of a syntax issue. I'm not going to "correct" you, but if you're really curious I'm happy to PM you with my observations (since that's sort of off-topic here).

My point is simply that almost no one speaks or writes in "proper" English in any casual situation. Yes, I find mistakes like the one you mentioned amusing, but they don't actually cause me to doubt the technical expertise of the person making the grammatical mistake.

To dismiss someone's intelligence simply because they lack certain kinds of communicative skills is, in my opinion, a far larger mistake than a grammatical one.

Bruce M.
January 8th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Yes, especially for us three finger typists, that have to have spell checking on, my keys keep moving to confuse me, and do 3 or 4 [Preview Post] clicks too.

LOL! no wait that should be hahaha , no, I mean: :lolflag:
Oh, to heck with it, you know what I mean. :)

So I'll just sit here and play my :guitar:, since this is the "only" place I know how.
Bruce

Dngrsone
January 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM
As a colleague of the grizzled old English teacher who brainwashed you, I have to say that you made at least three grammatical errors in that post, one of which was potentially just an omitted word. Then there's the awkwardness of the phrase "non-phrase words," which is more of a syntax issue. I'm not going to "correct" you, but if you're really curious I'm happy to PM you with my observations (since that's sort of off-topic here).

My point is simply that almost no one speaks or writes in "proper" English in any casual situation. Yes, I find mistakes like the one you mentioned amusing, but they don't actually cause me to doubt the technical expertise of the person making the grammatical mistake.

To dismiss someone's intelligence simply because they lack certain kinds of communicative skills is, in my opinion, a far larger mistake than a grammatical one.

Indeed, upon rereading my narrative I found several problems which I have addressed.

I never claimed to be a perfect grammarian, nor am I an English teacher. I submit that we all have prejudices in some form or other; I am pretty open about mine-- I don't like people who fail to use proper grammar and spelling; particularly when those individuals have all the proofing tools they need right in front of them.

In my myriad wanderings across the intarweb, I have learned to recognize most English-as-a-second-language types and do understand that their grammar and spelling will be less than flawless. With that in mind, however, I do note that the overwhelming majority of errors that irritate my sensibilities are perpetrated by English speaking Americans (or the occasional Brit) between the ages of 13 and 28-- they don't care to write or speak properly (that is, when they are not garbling their language intentionally) and, in fact, are often offended when it is suggested that it be a good idea that they should care.

Now I will freely admit that my generation was poorly raised. However, mine generation was not given a false sense of entitlement, expecting to be spoon-fed every little tidbit of information necessary for accomplishing the task at hand (which is almost universally a self-serving one), nor do we expect special consideration (as in people bending over backwards) due to any particular specialness.

I am immune to slander. I am willing to admit my mistakes. I expect no silver platter, nor do I ask for any consideration above and beyond that given other people of my rank or stature. I do rant on occasion.

I do expect at least passing courtesy, and try to convey the same.

Though I admit not being at my best form when trying to post and deal with family disputes simultaneously. http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07270/rolleyes.gif

verb3k
January 8th, 2008, 06:05 AM

amingv
January 8th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Yeah, right... What about US lolcode programmers?:lolflag:

Disclaimer: I'm not really a lolcode programmer :/

jespdj
January 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
LOL! :D

Did you know that the word "lol" is a real word in Dutch, and it means "fun"?!

Blutack
January 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Wow, that was fun!
By the time I got bored of counting I had:
~20 "lols"
~10 messages of support
~5 people who actually took this thread seriously
~1 thank!
Nice to see ubuntuforums does indeed have a (twisted) sense of humour.
On a related note, don't even try to compare Chuck Norris to "LOL".
It's like comparing Master Chief to Gordon Freeman.

PurposeOfReason
February 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM
It's like comparing Master Chief to Gordon Freeman.
Why not? I find it possible.

lightstream
February 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM

This fellow's made a dashed jolly spiffing point what? Standard English dictates one must not use colloquial language unless one is working at the pit face.

The intertubes are not some wanton 'free for all' by Jimeney. It is more like being at one's Gentleman's Club, and one must present oneself as if one were addressing a queen at all times.

ghandi69_
February 1st, 2008, 12:29 AM
I like the original poster's idea of replacing it with "Thats what she said", or something different every month. As he said, it could turn up in a place that created some hilarious pun, unknown to the writer of the original message until after he read it. This would be something new to look forward to each month, and could really create some laughs.

hhhhhx
February 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
:lolflag: lolz....:lolflag:

Christmas
February 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah lol is quite stupid to include in a conversation sometimes. Though it's funny on IRC or Quake or UT. Make a frag, rapidly and proudly say a 'lol'. Pwn someone, rush on saying rofl :) It's nice, you know...

days_of_ruin
February 1st, 2008, 02:29 AM
lol:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::l olflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Spike-X
February 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM
I've already used AdBlockPlus to block that stupid bloody "lolflag" thing.

If that's all a person has to contribute to a discussion, I figure I'm not missing much.

gn2
February 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Guess I'm not up to speed with my yoof speek.

I thought it meant Love Of Linux.

derekr44
February 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
roflpanda

Bungo Pony
February 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
Wtflolbbq

cybergal
February 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
If Ubuntu = Linux
and
If Linux = choice
Then posters should have the choice to use lol and its ilk as well as smilies, while those who are offended by that use are free to disregard them.

I really like LOL = Love of Linux!

Let's not lose our sense of humour while we're having fun.

[Have donned asbestos garb. LOL :wink:]

DjBones
February 1st, 2008, 08:00 AM
i never really thought it was that big of a deal,
but if your bent on never letting 'lol' darken your screen again you could always write a greasemonkey script to hide it..
i don't think that many words have lol in them besides that acronym, so it shouldn't pose too much of a problem

Lord Illidan
February 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'm busy issuing infractions to everyone who said the l-word here. Perma-ban should do the trick. :-({|=

gn2
February 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
i don't think that many words have lol in them

Guess what you've just started.......

Lollipop, Gina Lollobrigida (http://www.dianeetlesexedesanges.ch/3colset008/_fondecranph/fond_ecran_gina_lollobrigida_g.jpg), loll, lolling, lollop, lolloping, there's quite a few....

cybergal
February 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
lollapalooza, lollop, lolly, lollygag,

ryanVickers
February 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
mangelwurzel
(yes, its a word... in English too! :D)

DjBones
February 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
touche, but maybe if you started seein funky words you could put the pieces of the puzzle together :wink:
looks like you'd have to write your own though, couldn't find a match on userscripts.org

I've already used AdBlockPlus to block that stupid bloody "lolflag" thing.

If that's all a person has to contribute to a discussion, I figure I'm not missing much.

and yeah, i use adlbock+ to get rid of the lolflag thing too,
a lil obnoxious in my opinion..

hhhhhx
February 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
lol, this loling lol thread is the best lol thread in the loling history of lols. (if 'lol' were a word that sentence would be grammatically correct :lolflag:)

tgrisier
February 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
and yeah, i use adlbock+ to get rid of the lolflag thing too,
a lil obnoxious in my opinion..

Excellent idea ... plonk .... gone.

RAV TUX
February 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58359&d=1201957241
http://icanhascheezburger.com/ ;)