PDA

View Full Version : what is the right pronuciation of linux

tikal26
September 16th, 2005, 01:36 AM
so i have a question about what is the right pronunciation of linux I get corrected by people that don't use it. I think that it is like linus with a x at the end . also what is thep ronunciation for chroot english is not my mother language so I have no idea as to the right way to say it

escuchamezz
September 16th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Pronunciation: LIH-nucks or LIE-nucks

1. A reimplementation of the UNIX operating system kernel, written by Linus Torvalds, and distributed for free on the Internet. Linux has acheived remarkable compatibility with UNIX, from the point of view of a programmer compiling his software from the source code. Software originally written for UNIX can usually be compiled to run on Linux with no modifications. Linux binaries cannot run on UNIX systems that don't have Linux compatibility on purpose. Linux can be made to run binaries from SCO OpenServer via the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard (IBCS).

Linux is more compatible with UNIX systems that descend from UNIX System V than it is with BSD systems such as FreeBSD.

2. The Linux kernel, bundled with application programs like those that come with UNIX. When these applications are products of the Free Software Foundation, the combination is called GNU/Linux (the G in GNU is pronounced).

When the kernel is combined with applications, the result is called a Linux "distribution." Some distributions are commercially sold and have their own brand names.

3. A registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.

4. A religion practiced largely on the USENET newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The primary ritual of Linux is arguing endlessly with one of two denominations of Linux practitioners: Linux advocates, and Windows advocates, over whether or not Linux is better than Microsoft Windows. The arguments that make up the ritual can be divided into five categories: Linux sucks, Linux rules, Windows sucks, Microsoft sucks and personal insults.

Linux practitioners are even more fervent than computer users who engage in other so-called "religious wars" such as the classic EMACS vs. Vi.

3. A registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.

Linux (the operating system) looks and feels very much like Sun Solaris, despite the fact that it is not based on the original UNIX kernel, and even its shell commands are complete rewrites of the originals.

GNOME, the graphical interface of Solaris, was written for Linux first.

Since its inception in 1991, Linux has become the most popular UNIX-like operating system, beating Solaris, and even UNIX-based Mac OS X.
1. ~ 2.6 does better under heavy load than ~ 2.4 did.

2. We have a web server running Red Hat ~.
urbandictionary.com

bob_c_b
September 16th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Pronunciation: LIH-nucks

Any other way is wrong.

xequence
September 16th, 2005, 02:15 AM
I always pronounced it Lin (in, with an L) ix. Though CNBC pronounced it like "Lye-nix".

"Lye-nix" is like linus, but with an X. It sounds very stupid to me o.o

WebbyBabe
September 16th, 2005, 02:29 AM
I always pronounce it as LIN - ux . lol I figured it was LIE-Nux because the person who made Linux name is Linus

parktownprawn
September 16th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Attached are audio filed of Linus Torvalds showing us—in his very own words (with Swedish/Finnish accent)—how to say Linux (from http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

(in wav, mp3 or ogg)

gord
September 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM
http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/ clears things up a bit ey ;) i say it the same way as mr Torvalds (lin-ux) allthough i think you should prononce it however you like, whatever feels most natural to you.

Brunellus
September 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM
I know that "properly" it's LEENOOKS, but I always think about the kid from the Peanuts comic strip, who is known as LYENUHS. as in the great Vince Guaraldi Trio song, "Linus and Lucy".

arnieboy
September 16th, 2005, 02:45 AM
I know that "properly" it's LEENOOKS, but I always think about the kid from the Peanuts comic strip, who is known as LYENUHS. as in the great Vince Guaraldi Trio song, "Linus and Lucy".
its neither leenooks nor lynuks.. its just plain Lin-uks.

Brunellus
September 16th, 2005, 02:48 AM
its neither leenooks nor lynuks.. its just plain Lin-uks.
*sigh*

I'm trying to specify which sound of "i" is used, and you go and obfuscate again....

BWF89
September 16th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Lin-x

drizek
September 16th, 2005, 05:53 AM
i always thought torvalds would have an american accent... it was kinda weird hearing that.

wmcbrine
September 16th, 2005, 06:07 AM
its neither leenooks nor lynuks.. its just plain Lin-uks."Lin-uks" is a just poor anglicization of "Lee-nooks". But I've relcutantly given in to common usage.

I read the word for years before I ever heard it, so I always used to pronounce it "Lie-nucks".

PatrickMay16
September 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Heh, this reminds me of a funny thing I saw.
http://linix.ytmnd.com/
(note, that page has some imbedded audio, which is the part which made me show you all this link.)

Freddy
September 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM
always thought torvalds would have an american accent
Why did you think that? Linus Torwalds is from Finland and begun to work on the Linux kernel when he was a stundent at University of Helsinki. /// Freddan

benplaut
September 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Vi vs Emacs?
KDE vs Gnome?
LIH-nucks vs LYE-nooks?

\\:D/

i say it "LIN-uhks"

tikal26
September 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hoa I was just wondering since people correct me all the time so I figure I should ask. Thanks

skoal
September 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM
"hehwo! My wame is Elma Fudd, an I pwonouns Winux as WINUX! uh-hah-ha-ha..."

\\//_

tikal26
September 17th, 2005, 08:22 PM
:)

majikstreet
September 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I've always said it as lin-uks... and then again I say Debian as DE-bian. My uncle says it as DEB-ian....

tseliot
September 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
It is /'lIn-uks/ if you use phonetic transcription. Otherwise Lee-nooks but "ee" and "oo" are pronounced with a short duration (but the same sound as if they were long)

Curlydave
September 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
As many people have said, it's pronounced "Lih-nux". I heard a short sound clip from Linus Torvald, and it said "Hello, thsi is Linux Torvald, and I prounounce Linux 'Linux'." (using the above pronounciation.)

benplaut
September 17th, 2005, 10:08 PM
:)

[-X

zenwhen
September 17th, 2005, 11:17 PM
As many people have said, it's pronounced "Lih-nux". I heard a short sound clip from Linus Torvald, and it said "Hello, thsi is Linux Torvald, and I prounounce Linux 'Linux'." (using the above pronounciation.)

I was going to post the same. He said it that way (li-nux) in "Revolution OS" as well. There's really not a debate to be had. :)

Lux Perpetua
September 18th, 2005, 12:26 AM
LOO-niks

wmcbrine
September 18th, 2005, 05:48 AM
and then again I say Debian as DE-bian. My uncle says it as DEB-ian....Um, what's meant to be the difference there?

Now, DEB-i-an vs. de-BI-an, I get.

drogoh
September 18th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Um, what's meant to be the difference there?

Now, DEB-i-an vs. de-BI-an, I get.

Since many people have asked, Debian is pronounced /ˈde.bi.ən/. It comes from the names of the creator of Debian, Ian Murdock, and his wife, Debra.

The above, off-topic information comes from debian.org so it has to be right. :p

matthew
September 18th, 2005, 06:14 AM
"hehwo! My wame is Elma Fudd, an I pwonouns Winux as WINUX! uh-hah-ha-ha..."

\\//_
skoal, you always know how to make me laugh...thanks!

Zyphrexi
November 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Linux Torvald? heh heh. no one noticed that. Hilarious.

Also woohoo,i was right. =D>

Wolveen
November 9th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Sounds like he is pronouncing it:
Lean-nicks

I always pronounced it:
Lin-nix

flower
November 9th, 2005, 11:25 AM
gosh ... I must say this is a problem of the English language I think :)))
I'm from Bulgaria and here a written word can be read in only one way so we don't have this problem :)))

-----------------------

correction : BoyOfDestiny is right ... it's not only the english language :)))

BoyOfDestiny
November 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM
gosh ... I must say this is a problem of the English language I think :)))
I'm from Bulgaria and here a written word can be read in only one way so we don't have this problem :)))

English has a lot of words "borrowed" from other languages. There ya go. I find the grammar a little simpler than romance (IMHO fluent with spanish, child level with french), but the pronounciation in English is indeed odd.

Though
Tough
Also, homographs (plenty of languages have these)

Klingons off the starboard bow
bow and arrow

Wound the toy
He had a wound.

Ok that's my small contribution. :)

P.S I hate future tenses. ;) I like to say "I'm going to" and ditch it ;)