PDA

View Full Version : Is a Mac Mini worth it?

odiseo77
January 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hello people. I just saw an offer on one of these internet shopping sites about a Mac Mini, but I don't know a thing about Apple computers, so I don't know if it's worth it. These are the specs:

Core 2 Duo, 1.83 Ghz. RAM: 1 Gb, (SDRAM, DDR2, 667 Ghz). HD: 80 Gb (serial ATA). DVD-ROM/CD-RW. AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth and remote control. Price: around 1325 US $.

(Doesn't come with monitor, keyboard and mouse, so I'd have to pay extra money for them).

In case I buy it, it would be basically for doing the normal stuff: Installing Linux -aside OSX-, surfing on internet, listening music, chatting with my friends, etc... pretty much the same things I do on my PC, except gaming. The main reason I'd like to buy it is because I want to have fun discovering and using a Mac and OSX (which I've never used), and because it seems to me the price is not that high, considering it's a Mac machine. I'm fighting with myself because I think I don't really need it (I'm not a musician or a graphic designer), so it would be like a whim.

So,what do you people think? Is it worth buying it considering is not so expensive, or I rather save my money for something else? (I'm prone to choose the latter, but I'd still like to hear your opinions, etc) :)

Thanks in advance.

metalpancake
January 7th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I personally think you would be better off getting a laptop. They are getting very cheap now, and generally have higher spec and are portable.

BreathEasy
January 7th, 2008, 01:24 AM
What? $1325 and you still don't get the necessary peripherals? Screw that.

Might as well get a Macbook Pro, OR... if you really want to try out OS X, there's another way that doesn't involve buying a Mac first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86

el_ricardo
January 7th, 2008, 01:27 AM
hell no

x0as
January 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Core 2 Duo, 1.83 Ghz. RAM: 1 Gb, (SDRAM, DDR2, 667 Ghz). HD: 80 Gb (serial ATA). DVD-ROM/CD-RW. AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth and remote control. Price: around 1325 US $.

Same spec on apple's website is $600.

KCPokes
January 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
The original point of a Mac Mini was to introduce a Mac to people for an affordable price, allowing them to continue to use their normal periphials. Problem is the price has continued to creep, thus making it a useless gesture on the part of Apple. When the Mac Mini first came out the price was around $500, for starters, making it a reasonable investment for the purpose of experimenting. Now the prices just don't seem to justify. For that price I'd just buy a Shuttle, if you want something small, or just bite the bullet and buy a full blown Mac.

[EDIT]

Same spec on apple's website is $600.

That makes far more sense. For that price it makes it worth buying one to play with. Throw in a KVM switch to allow you to switch back and forth at ease.

ticopelp
January 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
For $600, I think it's worth it. I'd get one if I felt I had any need for one -- probably light video editing or something like that.

Sockerdrickan
January 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Yes $600 is the price

I've had one and they are absolutely wonderful.

barbedsaber
January 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM
go the $600 one, and even if you hated os10, you could install ubuntu on it, an those specs arn't bad for $600

odiseo77
January 7th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Hi folks, thanks a lot for your answers! Well, about the price, here where I live, Apple computers are very expensive, so I thought this was cheap (the guy who's selling it must be buying it in 600 $ and re-selling it here at more than the double of its original price). I just saw the images and find it so nice that I got suddenly in love :p :D . Now that you mention the price, I'm considering ordering abroad, so I can pay a fair price for it (in case I buy it)... But thinking it twice, I rather save some money for a travel I'm planning for this year, since I don't really need another computer.

Just in case I can buy it abroad, is a Mac Mini worth it for a cheap price? (I read an article in Spanish saying they're pretty much obsolete)

Thanks a lot again for your answers, people :)

SomeGuyDude
January 7th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I've never found an Apple product that was worth its listed price.

xArv3nx
January 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Cheap(er) alternative: Hackintosh

Though, there is nothing like the real thing.

odiseo77
January 7th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I've never found an Apple product that was worth its listed price.

lol, I've never used anything from Apple, so I don't know, but you're right, Apple products are way too expensive (at least here)...

SunnyRabbiera
January 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Mac Mini's from what I know are actually pretty good, they usually come with decent specs and really despite its size I heard updating one isnt terribly hard.
but there are a lot of arguments against it

SomeGuyDude
January 7th, 2008, 02:10 AM
lol, I've never used anything from Apple, so I don't know, but you're right, Apple products are way too expensive (at least here)...

I enjoy OSX, but under no circumstances is it worth an extra $600. I can put Ubuntu on a $600 notebook and it's as nice as a low-end Macbook, why pay double that?

maniacmusician
January 7th, 2008, 02:12 AM
At the lower price, it may be worth it...although if you really want a learning experience, you could always build your own tiny PC

odiseo77
January 7th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Well, after all, I think I've finally decided to save the money for the travel I'm planning for this year ;)

Thanks a lot for your answers, people! :)

mips
January 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
You can get a non-apple pc in a similair style case for less.