PDA

View Full Version : Images to print onto livecds

barbedsaber
January 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Greeting people of the internet.

I like to give out ubuntu live cds, but they don't look very profesionall.

is there any artwork at the moment that I can print onto a peice of paper, an slide that into the slot thing, I suppose I could make somthing with a picture of a gibbon, ubuntu log etc, but I dont want to waste the time if someone has already gone to the trouble.

Spike-X
January 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Check out the Art & Design section.

saulgoode
January 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
You might wish to investigate the LightScribe CD/DVD burner (http://www.lightscribe.com/index.aspx?flash=no), which will print your label directly on your CD/DVD. Not only will the end result appear more professional, but you will avoid the problems that some front-loading units (such as those found in cars, entertainment centers, and Macs) have handling CDs with thicker, printed labels.

The units themselves are not that expensive, but you will have to pay about twice as much for the specially coated blank disks. There is a vendor-supplied Linux version of the labeling software and though this is not Open Source, there is also a software development kit for writing your own or including in an existing project.

There may be similar offerings from other companies but I haven't checked.

barbedsaber
January 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I would love to get light scribe, but I live in Australia, and shipping is expensive, dont want to pay for expensive cd's either. thanks anyway.

Spike-X
January 7th, 2008, 09:07 AM
DON'T USE STICKY LABELS!!

The glue seeps through the disc over time, and does affect the information recorded on the disc.

I've found a better option to be discs with a printable surface. Inkjet printers that can print on these aren't at all expensive, and the results are excellent.

regomodo
January 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
umm, who still uses labels? You can use printable cds and look a lot better than labels could ever be.
CD-labels is one of the problems with linux-distros, even ubuntu. There were some released by canonical (i think) for Edgy but i think that was it. Also, some person here did a good job of doing label designs for Feisty but i can't find them

Namtabmai
January 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
You can find some cover art for you're CD/DVD's here;
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing