PDA

View Full Version : Is the next President of the United States running Linux?

Sporkman
January 6th, 2008, 04:42 AM
A bit dated, but interesting nevertheless:

http://www.douglaskarr.com/2007/06/23/2008-elections-by-server/

It looks like the republicans are more into Windows Server.

daynah
January 6th, 2008, 04:51 AM
(deleted)

Peyton
January 6th, 2008, 04:54 AM
The candidates have no idea how their sites work. I really don't see what the use is in trying to make any kind of a connection between a candidate and the platform his site runs on.

frup
January 6th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Probably just indicates MS prefers to lobby republicans :D

macogw
January 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM
The candidates have no idea how their sites work. I really don't see what the use is in trying to make any kind of a connection between a candidate and the platform his site runs on.

Actually, one candidate's website's front page said something like "We just switched to [either Drupal or Joomla, I forget] CMS for the new website! Check it out!" as of November. I forget who it was. Kucinich is using Joomla. The guys I worked with at the Washington Post commented on how he had a very nice up-to-date events calendar and was all nicely organized. The other candidates buried their events page and didn't update often. Hillary's events page has a "find events within <dropdown> miles of <textbox> area code" which is rather useless since we try to track all of the candidates' events across the country. I used Firebug to add an option for 20,000 miles :) Her website apparently doesn't sanitize user input, though. If I put a ' as the value of an option on the dropdown, it'd freak out. It wouldn't show you the SQL errors (at least they hid that), but you could definitely use SQL injection on at least the events page.

bufsabre666
January 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM
still doubt they know anything about how their websites work, let me know about their personal computers then we'll talk

Lostincyberspace
January 6th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Does any one know what the lookup function in network tools is called on the command line.

fuscia
January 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM

i agree. it's like saying "hey, nelson mandela uses ubuntu!"

Sp4cedOut
January 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I got a little too hopeful and thought you were talking about personal computers. As was posted in the comments of the article, the sample size is too small, to get a good comparison it would need to include senators and representatives. Second, I'd be shocked if any candidate has ever seen a single line of HTML from their website.