PDA

View Full Version : Recommending programs that use less system resources

quadomatic
January 6th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I've been having a huge problem with lag on my computer lately, and I'm trying to switch the programs I use to try and make my system run faster.

One switch I made was to Firefox 3 Beta 2 from Firefox 2. It uses far less ram than Firefox 2 does. At least for me, Firefox 3 uses about half the ram Firefox 2 would use.

I also changed the Bittorrent client I use. I was using Azureus. Azureus is a great bittorrent client, but it is one heck of a resource hog. I switched to Deluge. Deluge has gotten a lot better since the beginning of this year, and it uses far less ram and processing power than Azureus does. I heard rTorrent is a good bittorrent client, and uses minimal system resources, but I don't know how to use it. Can someone help me with a guide?

Also, for word processing, instead of using OpenOffice, I'm using Abiword. Abiword seems pretty capable thus far, and uses a lot less ram than OpenOffice does.

Does anyone else have recommendations on what programs to use to free up system resources so our PCs can run more smoothly?

Thanks

slimdog360
January 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Arch, openbox, thunar, geany

sports fan Matt
January 6th, 2008, 03:02 AM
im using swiftweasel instead of firefox and i have far less ram them you (382)..just my 2 cents

kdarkentity
January 6th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Rather than using alternate programs you could try out other desktop environments such as Kde or enlightenment.I'm not sure if kde uses less ram or not but i do know that enlightenment uses alot less ram and cpu usage but its also alot less user friendly.

quadomatic
January 6th, 2008, 03:12 AM
thx for the tip. I'll give swiftweasel a shot.

Steveway
January 6th, 2008, 03:18 AM
You should definatly give XFCE a shot.
I only have 512MB of Ram and use it all the time as my primary Desktop Enviroment.
Also many XFCE applications are far better than Gnomes. Thunar, Ristretto xfwm4...

-grubby
January 6th, 2008, 03:19 AM
fluxbox,thunar.gpicview,abiword

quadomatic
January 6th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I prefer GNOME to XFCE, and I'd rather not give it up.

quadomatic
January 6th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I tried SwiftWeasel, and its definetly faster than Firefox 2, but it uses loads more ram than Firefox 3 beta 2.

urukrama
January 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Thunar as file manager, leafpad as simple text editor, audacious or mpd + client for music, epiphany or kazehakase for web browser.

If you want to stay with Gnome, you could also use another window manager within Gnome. Try Openbox -- it is lighter than Metacity and has some good themes. Simply do

sudo aptitude install openbox obconf

Log out, and select Gnome/Openbox from the session menu. You'll then have a Gnome session with the Openbox window manager.

rjmdomingo2003
January 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I heard rTorrent is a good bittorrent client, and uses minimal system resources, but I don't know how to use it. Can someone help me with a guide?

Here's a good guide: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUserGuide

mrgnash
January 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Native Gnome apps are going to run better for you in most cases, so:

Web browser: Epiphany
Mail client: Evolution
Document reader: Evince
Music player: Rhythmbox, Exaile or Banshee
Video/dvd player: Totem
Word processor: Abiword (although Lyx is many times better, imo)

urukrama
January 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Also try epdf to read pdf documents, and feh or gpicview as an image viewer.

bobbocanfly
January 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Openbox as a DE/WM.
MPD/NCMPC as a music player.
Thunar as a file manager.
Kazahakase (sp?) or even Lynx as a Web Browser.
Mutt or Pine as an email client

new2*buntu
January 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Native Gnome apps are going to run better for you in most cases, so:

Web browser: Epiphany
Mail client: Evolution
Document reader: Evince
Music player: Rhythmbox, Exaile or Banshee
Video/dvd player: Totem
Word processor: Abiword (although Lyx is many times better, imo)

I say you should probably use XMMS instead as Music Player

fuscia
January 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I prefer GNOME to XFCE, and I'd rather not give it up.

you'll probably be stuck with the lag, then. if more of your resources are used up running your desktop environment, then less will be abvailable for running your apps.

machoo02
January 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Here's a good guide: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUserGuide
Or, check out this one (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/).

bobbocanfly
January 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Or, check out this one (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/).

KMandlas guide (and blog) is brilliant. Makes rTorrent really simple.

jimrz
January 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
try gnumeric for spreadsheets

jybumaat
May 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Im happy with Gnome interface since it uses only 256mb of RAM. Its swift and very fast than that of all the Microsucks Windows operating systems combined. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/star.png

I come to think that my operating system is used in supercomputers!

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140
ECS 945GCT-M2/1333
1GB RAM
WD 80GB SATA HDD

barbedsaber
May 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
My 2 cents, (may have already been said)

open up system monitor, figure out what is using all the recources, and replace THAT, rather than everything.

happy-and-lost
May 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sylpheed-Claws is a nice lightweight email client.