PDA

View Full Version : Requirements analysis and management in open source

kitsos
January 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hi,

I've been a user of linux and open source software for a few years now (got completely freed from the Microsoft tyranny about a year ago) and have always had an interest in the way the community works together to produce OS software.

Something that has really interested me is the way that OS participants select the pieces of software to develop according to their preferences, achieving in this way a degree of self organisation and optimum resource allocation in the OS community (from a socio-economic point of view). There are many differences in the way the OS and the proprietary software community works. A phenomenon that has always intrigued me is the lack of input from requirements analysts and detailed specifications and tools to manage requirements in the OS world. A good effort towards this direction is Launchpad. However, the format and presentation of requirements is quite “simple” at the moment compared to what requirements management tools offer.

I would like to invite you in an open discussion on:

If you agree with the above, why do you think that is? (or not?)

Do you think that requirements in the OS world are managed adequately?

Is it that the size/type of the projects and/or the way the work is structured does not necessitate requirements analysis and management?

Is the role of a requirements analyst covered by the developers?

Are there any tools out there to do this?
(the only one I know that is open source is OSRMT and is not web based or provide a web front end or integration with wikis or Launchpad etc, so it could be difficult to integrate as is with the way the OS world works.)

Do you think that the community could benefit from requirements analysts who focus on user needs and project functionality, UI usability, system design and specification documentation?

Finally, would there be interest in the community to embrace the use of such a requirements management tool and what features would you expect from a tool like this?

Thanks

Come on guys? Anyone with some thoughts on this?

prokher
March 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Looks like nobody knows (

fatality_uk
March 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Prepare to be locked for necromancing!!!