PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff with CrossOver....

Brightbelt
January 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi All,
Boy it's been a while since I've been on an Ubuntu forum...I recently switched to Mac from Windows but I worked with Ubuntu a lot while I was still using PCs, so I have some Linux experience. I'm writing now from a new 24" iMac on Leopard.

An interesting thing has occurred with CrossOver for Mac; I found that the CorelDraw 10 Graphics Suite installs AND works fine through CrossOver. What a pleasant surprise.

I have gotten Wavelab 3.0 to install and I can enter the program, but I somehow need to get the CD driver update to install. I have tried installing the update thru CrossOver but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open. I have not tried any other program functions yet in Wavelab.

I thought these things might be of intertest. I've entertained running Ubuntu on Parallels here, since I'm already running Windows XP that way, but I like working through CrossOver when I can too.

Many Thanks, Frank B.

cyberdork33
January 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
so does this have anything to do with Ubuntu?

handy
January 6th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hi All,
Boy it's been a while since I've been on an Ubuntu forum...I recently switched to Mac from Windows but I worked with Ubuntu a lot while I was still using PCs, so I have some Linux experience. I'm writing now from a new 24" iMac on Leopard.

An interesting thing has occurred with CrossOver for Mac; I found that the CorelDraw 10 Graphics Suite installs AND works fine through CrossOver. What a pleasant surprise.

I have gotten Wavelab 3.0 to install and I can enter the program, but I somehow need to get the CD driver update to install. I have tried installing the update thru CrossOver but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open. I have not tried any other program functions yet in Wavelab.

I thought these things might be of intertest. I've entertained running Ubuntu on Parallels here, since I'm already running Windows XP that way, but I like working through CrossOver when I can too.

Many Thanks, Frank B.

If you are prepared to put some back to the Codeweavers people, you could become an advocate, which will give you access to the nightly builds which are vastly superior to the 6.2.1, they are all but version 7. It will also allow you to communicate directly with the developers who are really nice people with a great attitude. I could say that Codeweavers are all the things that Transgaming are not, with regard to Wine & their customers.

I will ask the mods to move this to the Other OS Talk / Mac OSX sub-forum. ;-)

Sef
January 6th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Moved to MacOSX.

kavoura
January 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I am using Ubuntu after previously using Xandros. Xandros is a paid-for distro which comes with CrossOver. Recently I had a lot of problems with Xandros and the nvidia graphics driver. So far with Ubuntu I have had no such problems at all.
So I decided to install CrossOver into Ubuntu and it worked okay and I am now installing Windows software to use in Ubuntu.
Internet Explorer 6.0 installed okay along with Outlook Express. However, although Internet Explorer works perfectly, I could not get Outlook Express to work. The program opens, but when I try to do anything with it, it freezes, goes all grey and then I have to force it to quit.
Anyone had any luck running Outlook Express on Ubuntu?

Although I personally use Thunderbird which I prefer, I am trying to convert my girlfriend to Ubuntu instead of Windows XP. Her XP installation on her laptop has problems, mostly with sound drivers which make it sound awful, whereas booting into Ubuntu from a live DVD gave perfectly clear sound. If I could get Outlook Express running on Ubuntu she would probably use Ubuntu, as she prefers that to Thunderbird.

handy
January 9th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I just looked in the Codeweavers' compatibility database & Outlook Express doesn't exist there.

There are a variety of Outlook's supported by CXOffice though & you can import Outlook Express data into Outlook.

That may be way around for you.

I also looked at the WineHQ App Database & it looks like no one is interested in running the insecure email client, which from security reasons is understandable.

Hmm, I just searched & it doesn't look like Outlook Express is being used on Ubuntu, but that is not conclusive, the Wine forum will answer your question.

I think you are out of luck on this one, if your girlfriend had to learn Outlook, she might as well learn a Linux email client, which I expect will be able to import her outlook express data anyway.