PDA

View Full Version : We take you to a meeting of the RIAA

CCNA_student
January 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
How well do you think this picture represents the RIAA? I saw this photo and I just had to show everyone. This is great comic isn't it?

Sin Cere,

CCNA

smartboyathome
January 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Funny, I was just thinking that next they were going to charge you a fee each time you listen to a song "after all, they shouldn't listen to a song for free, even if they own it".

Lostincyberspace
January 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah and then they will start charging artists for writing the song.

Seriously the RIAA is so stupid. they are killing the music industry.

evil316
January 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I think the lopping off of the hand and giving it back is the kind of idea the RIAA would have.

LaRoza
January 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I think the lopping off of the hand and giving it back is the kind of idea the RIAA would have.

What about the storage fee?

b0ng0
January 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Funny but probably true. I hope anyone affiliated with the RIAA gets eaten alive by demon sheep, they make me sick.

CCNA_student
January 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Linuxratty
January 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Funny, I was just thinking that next they were going to charge you a fee each time you listen to a song "after all, they shouldn't listen to a song for free, even if they own it".

Ah but you don't own it,you are only renting it...And there are rental fees for sure and they will add up over time..
Your best bet is to learn how to play a musical instrument.

Lostincyberspace
January 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
But then they will charge you for making music without a license.

Dimitriid
January 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah and then they will start charging artists for writing the song.

Seriously the RIAA is so stupid. they are killing the music industry.

Music shouldn't be an "industry" anyway, nowadays its hardly needed to deal with an "industry" at all, one can achieve better outreach with websites than most labels ( in reality most labels are fairly small btw but they do get pushed around by the big ones )

oldb0y
January 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM
:lolflag: RIAA are nice! Good thing I don't live in the US.

Linuxratty
January 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
But then they will charge you for making music without a license.

Ah,but they have to FIND him first and as long as he does not connect his instrument to the internet...it's a safe bet he's safe.
They have not found my hammered dulcimer YET!:twisted:

forrestcupp
January 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
That's great. I like the one about stabbing a pencil in their eardrum. Hey, if they're deaf, they won't need to steal music.

Remember when people used to play and sing for enjoyment?

Linuxratty
January 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM
[/QUOTE]

Remember when people used to play and sing for enjoyment?[/QUOTE]

People still do that..I ran a dulcimer club here for seven years.

allforcarrie
January 5th, 2008, 05:35 AM
all you have to do is say Fee...... LOL

cwej
January 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Not funny, because too realistic...

Tundro Walker
January 5th, 2008, 07:34 AM
It's true the internet helps a lot of labels and individual artists circumvent the whole record industry, but the record industry controls the majority of radio stations. And a majority of folks get their "new" music based on what they hear on the radio. So, without air-play, a lot of ronin artists can't make ends meet, even though it's easy as 1,2,3 to hop on their site and d/l an album of 10 songs for $5.

That's why I like internet radio stations...folks setting up their own play lists, where you can hear things you might not hear on normal radio. But since some of those folks keep tossing main-stream songs onto their play lists, the internet radio keeps coming under scrutiny for playing songs without paying royalties.

The "industry" keeps trying to find ways to make money, and we know DRM is a failure. What I thought was pretty ingenious is the radio hookup that lets you tag a song you hear as it's playing, and you're iPod will add it to your purchase list next time your in iTunes (or wherever). Now THAT's something people will actually do. I mean, impulse buying is a marketable reality all the time, and they can do it in today's world of electronics. Not sure why they didn't think of that sooner. No, no, let's stick with selling CD's and complaining when someone rips a copy and sue them for it...morons, total morons.

Lord DarkPat
January 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
It might as well be true. But Idon't live in the US anywayz :D
I download music for free, but due to a logical reason :
WE CAN'T BUY MUSIC ANYWHERE 'ROUND HERE!
No CD shops, online stores don't work(bloody RIAA) what are we supposed to do?

Tundro Walker
January 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
It might as well be true. But Idon't live in the US anywayz :D
I download music for free, but due to a logical reason :
WE CAN'T BUY MUSIC ANYWHERE 'ROUND HERE!
No CD shops, online stores don't work(bloody RIAA) what are we supposed to do?

Well, you notice they're not exactly pursuing international cases or "piracy". Heck, some countries probably encourage their citizens to pirate music just to "stick it" to the United States in some fashion. Funny thing is, our own citizens are doing the same thing. But we really don't see it as "sticking it" to ourselves...we hate big corporations. Well, we hate big corporations that turn greedy. For instance, most folks like Google, even though they're pretty big now, but can't stand MS or RIAA.

I really can't sympathize with the music industry complaining about CD sales dropping and such. I'd think they'd embrace that fact. I mean, most folks want to get their music online, so it lets them do away with the overhead of stores, making CD's, sales staff, equipment for the store, etc, etc. A whole headache gets to go away, and in its place you setup some online shops that only a few, well-paid web-admins need to maintain. Seems like a nice trade-off in my eyes. Do all kinds of stuff to get folks to impulse-buy music in electronic media format ... EG: the adapter that plugs into the radio to let you tag a song you hear for later purchase, that phone idea some company had that lets you record a part of a song you hear and it'll search a database for the song to let you purchase it...etc, etc. There's a whole new world of profit out there. They just need to accept the fact that there's always going to be an underground pirate / bootlegger aspect. You can't use electronics to control everything and everyone...because ultimated the CUSTOMERS are the ones who suffer and feel like they're being treated like criminals. Meanwhile the criminals just keep going on doing what they're doing. It's almost like anti-handgun laws...criminals will always carry guns, b/c they don't care about the law, but by cracking down on the citizens, you make them feel like criminals, and in some cases might even convert some of them into criminals just because they're fed up with the new regulations.

Lord DarkPat
January 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well, you notice they're not exactly pursuing international cases or "piracy". Heck, some countries probably encourage their citizens to pirate music just to "stick it" to the United States in some fashion. Funny thing is, our own citizens are doing the same thing. But we really don't see it as "sticking it" to ourselves...we hate big corporations. Well, we hate big corporations that turn greedy. For instance, most folks like Google, even though they're pretty big now, but can't stand MS or RIAA.

I really can't sympathize with the music industry complaining about CD sales dropping and such. I'd think they'd embrace that fact. I mean, most folks want to get their music online, so it lets them do away with the overhead of stores, making CD's, sales staff, equipment for the store, etc, etc. A whole headache gets to go away, and in its place you setup some online shops that only a few, well-paid web-admins need to maintain. Seems like a nice trade-off in my eyes. Do all kinds of stuff to get folks to impulse-buy music in electronic media format ... EG: the adapter that plugs into the radio to let you tag a song you hear for later purchase, that phone idea some company had that lets you record a part of a song you hear and it'll search a database for the song to let you purchase it...etc, etc. There's a whole new world of profit out there. They just need to accept the fact that there's always going to be an underground pirate / bootlegger aspect. You can't use electronics to control everything and everyone...because ultimated the CUSTOMERS are the ones who suffer and feel like they're being treated like criminals. Meanwhile the criminals just keep going on doing what they're doing. It's almost like anti-handgun laws...criminals will always carry guns, b/c they don't care about the law, but by cracking down on the citizens, you make them feel like criminals, and in some cases might even convert some of them into criminals just because they're fed up with the new regulations.
Well said, and I do actually feel guilty when I download music from all those great artists who sing for a living. At least I'm not making any self-profit. Could someone point out EXACTLY why the online stores aren't middle-east compaitble?

Tundro Walker
January 6th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Could someone point out EXACTLY why the online stores aren't middle-east compaitble?

My off-the-cuff response would be that the online stores are stupid, like some of the online sites only accessible to Internet Explorer, and totally excluding Firefox customers from the profit potential.

But, it may be that, like China, some Middle-Eastern countries do content filtering or something that causes a breakage for you when you try to use them. It may be that the online stores are just too stupid to implement internationalization, accepting money in different formats.

It's really sad. I mean, from your perspective, sounds like you're willing to spend a little money to save yourself the hassle of having to hunt down the music else where. But since the online store won't work for you, you end up having to ... well, you know ...

You should write them an email and ask them to look into it. Businesses usually assume that every email they get form a customer represents 100+ other customers with the same issue that are just too frustrated or simply don't have the time to bother writing about a problem. If you figure an average customer pops $20/month at the online store, that could be $2000 they're throwing out the window by not addressing an issue that would let another 100 customers use their store.

Of course, if iTunes and the like were really interested in bringing in a bigger customers base, they'd make a Linux version of iTunes ... there's lots of folks complaining about that, but no action as of yet.

CCNA_student
January 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I didn't realize that so many people had looked at this. Is there anyone here that did not like it?