PDA

View Full Version : It's like Final Destination all over again

~LoKe
January 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I was spitting in a Tim Hortons coffee cup yesterday. Filled it up to the top. Well, I failed to dump the cup and toss it, so while I was sleeping it split the...seam on the cup and started leaking on my desk. It slowly leaked towards the back, and, using the base of my lamp to direct it, flowed over the back of my desk....Right onto my Belkin powerbar/surge protector. I have about $5000 worth of equipment hooked up to this $50 surge protector. I woke up to this awful smell of burning plastic and located the source. All my electronics were off (I always leave them on). The powerbar was arching and making this horrible noise, I knew my stuff was fried already.

I quickly flipped the power switch on the bar and unplug all my stuff. The bar was burning hot, deformed (from the heat) and still smoking. I accidentally tipped it over and a pool of chew-filled spit came out. I threw the son of ^@%!# in the trash. I swapped the power cable for my computer with a spare I had lying around and plugged it into another outlet...it powered up. o_O

One by one I tested all my equipment...Receiver, monitors, sub woofer, etc. All good.

Finally some good luck counter the bad luck I've had for the last 20 years. With the exception of the powerbar, everything is fine. I went out and bought another Belkin power bar, these things are heroes. This one was a little more expensive but I'm getting off easy here.

Damn.

Lostincyberspace
January 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
it's a miracle.

Fred_E _krugar
January 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
well you learned something like I did, dont spit into a paper cup. I use a empty coke can with the top pushed in.

~LoKe
January 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I use a empty coke can with the top pushed in.

Ah, see, I've tried using cans but the opening was too small so it always flowed over the side. Never thought to push it in.

Fred_E _krugar
January 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
ah it helps if ya rip the tab off first it makes a small tear then you push it in from there. Be carefull and not to cut yourself. I am a professional coke top pusher I have been doing it since I was 11. lol