PDA

View Full Version : OpenMoko: Neo Freerunner

PartisanEntity
January 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I have translated an article from the Austrian newspaper Der Standard about the first consumer phone from OpenMoko called the Neo Freerunner on my blog (http://www.cognitivecombine.com/?p=204).

Highlights:
Complex interface effects
Touch screen
Position sensors
An 850 MHZ and a 900 MHz Tri-Band model
Wifi

Looks very promising, if anyone has further details please share them.

GeneralZod
January 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Couple of English articles:

http://gizmodo.com/339965/openmoko-launches-neo-freerunner-open+source-smartphone-for-the-masses
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205207789

If the GPS works nicely and doesn't require a network connection (I'm unsure of how AGPS works compared to GPS), then this will be my next phone :)

Kareema
January 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Here is some more info about the Neo Freerunner aka GTA02 from the official Wiki:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_GTA02_Hardware
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Current_events

diskotek
January 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
nice communication toy

macogw
January 14th, 2008, 03:17 AM
GTA02? I thought it was calle the Neo 1973?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just reread that URL and realized the whole name wasn't used before.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Your image on the left is fake, your image on the right is old. The real thing is currently much nicer :)

Some interface screenshots (of OS 2007.2) over on their wiki: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Current_Applications#Screen_Shots

Chang An
January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Have you guys seen the source code for this? I have not been able to find it. It would be a shame if this ended up to be a halfhearted attempt like android with no source code.

Ebuntor
January 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Is this going to be a release for end-users? I read on the OpenMoko wiki that the GUI apps aren't stable yet.

macogw
January 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Is this going to be a release for end-users? I read on the OpenMoko wiki that the GUI apps aren't stable yet.

Yes, it will be released to end users. Right now, only developers have them because they're the people writing the apps. When they're done writing them (or enough of them), it will be released.

Devpaul
December 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM
From what I can see online, the Freerunner is great except that it is too slow / sluggish.

Why not have a faster processor / more RAM and leave out as many extras as possible to still allow a reasonable cost?

For example, ditch the accelerometer and replace it with a button or screen tap.

It is simply not an enjoyable experience to use a sluggish handset. For evidence, look at YouTube videos of Android on the G1 vs. the Freerunner. Or even the other operating systems used on the Freerunner.

If a new, faster handset is released, that is all it would take for me to buy it. I understand the limitations of cost, but hopefully it can be done in an affordable way.

jrusso2
December 30th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Is this vaporware? Seemslike I have been hearing about this for two years yet you can only get development edition.

MikeTheC
December 30th, 2008, 05:16 AM
If I am understanding this correctly, they're presently selling this as an unlocked device for $399. I was at BestBuy yesterday and, for the first time, I saw a section which was specifically labeled "Unlocked", so clearly this is something that's starting to catch on in a big way here in the U.S. (finally).

IIRC, every one of those "unlocked" phones that was half-way decent was at least as much as the OpenMoko, and the smart phones were all easily another hundred or two more.

I'd love to see the OpenMoko platform really take off. That would be great for everyone.

PartisanEntity
December 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Now that Google has brought out Android, I do not see a future for OpenMoko. The marketing power behind Google will simply drown out OpenMoko. Also I think it is cheaper to develop for the Android platform than for the OpenMoko.

And last but not least, when developing for the OpenMoko, you are investing time and money in the hopes that this platform will take off. When developing for Android, the platform has pretty much taken off with cell phones being made for the masses already, as opposed to developer packs only.

Johnsie
December 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
openmoko sounds interesting but I don't think it will be as slick looking as the Samsung Omnia or the Iphone. From what I've heard the G1 seems to have very little to offer after quite alot of hype about android.

bufsabre666
December 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
its kinda sad that android is ganna stamp out openmoko, openmoko is completely open, hardware and software, where as android isnt completely open and the hardware its ganna be put on certainly is not going to be. although i still want an android phone, mostly cause im tired of windows mobile, maybe verizon will have some when my new every 2 contract is up, or better yet a real linux mobile phone ((remember verizon you said linmo would be your preferred platform))

PartisanEntity
December 30th, 2008, 01:21 PM
openmoko sounds interesting but I don't think it will be as slick looking as the Samsung Omnia or the Iphone. From what I've heard the G1 seems to have very little to offer after quite alot of hype about android.

That is kind of obvious. Android is still in its infancy, it will mature over time.

The iPhone was also rather limited on first gen phones, only with the 2nd generation phones and the App Store did it start becoming more interesting.

perce
December 31st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Did they put a camera on it? it's going to fail badly on the mass market without.

ELD
December 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
Now that Google has brought out Android, I do not see a future for OpenMoko. The marketing power behind Google will simply drown out OpenMoko. Also I think it is cheaper to develop for the Android platform than for the OpenMoko.

And last but not least, when developing for the OpenMoko, you are investing time and money in the hopes that this platform will take off. When developing for Android, the platform has pretty much taken off with cell phones being made for the masses already, as opposed to developer packs only.

Quoted for truth, it doesn't stand a chance, i have the G1 i love it.

Peronix
December 31st, 2008, 12:37 AM
This phone is one ugly duckling. :P

amitabhishek
January 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have been leeching on this phone for a while now. Nothing quite underscores the nature of this device as a computer while booting up, with lines of code scroll across the screen. The phone though very much usable in its current form, is very clear in its intent, it is a phone that is meant for tweaking. Any one who fancies himself/herself as a Linux enthusiast should consider buying one. For e.g. it has a media player but plays only .ogg file, mp3 codecs needs to downloaded separately and likewise. Sounds familiar!!?:).

Apart from the default OS OM.2007. It supports Qtopia, Debian (Yes freaking Debian on your palm!) now Android. OM.2008 will be out now anytime. Now which phone offer so much to an enthusiast!!!I understand its sluggish but there are so many sluggish phones out there. My Nokia E61i is sluggish from day one. Moreover you can test the firmware using QEmu or any other VMs. I think its super cool. I think every phone has its share of drawbacks but this one is just more "open" about it.

joshmuffin
January 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I was a week away from getting it. The economy dropped and the Aussie dollar dropped harder, the phone almost doubled in hight.

RaZoR1394
January 9th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I have a G1 since the beginning of December. When I first powered up the device, entered my Google account info and entered the Android desktop I was shocked of how smooth it was. This is the best phone I've ever used out of probably 20 mostly due to the capacitive touch screen and Android. Throw away your stylus, none is needed. Android is a very good combination of proprietary and open source software. The base of Android is fully open source however. The standard Android firmware of the G1 has some proprietary binaries and libraries. Other things I can think of is the Amazon and Youtube app.

Now with Samsung soon to release their first Android device, probably an updated Omnia I'm very uncertain of Openmoko:s future. I have never tried Openmoko but I have tried Familiar Linux on some devices. Then we have the Kogan Agora shipping the 29th. It looks like a blackberry and I have no idea how good it is but the specs of the PRO version look really good except the display size. It's too cheap however which smells fishy.

Now Android is running on Netbooks. The cupcake branch of Android has x86 support and a lot of other things like on-screen keyboard, a2dp and video recording.

I have been using Windows mobile since it was called Pocket PC 2001 and it is really bad. I mean really, really bad.

www.rzr.online.fr
March 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Now Android is running on Netbooks. The cupcake branch of Android has x86 support and a lot of other things like on-screen keyboard, a2dp and video recording.

Cupcake also on freerunner see video :

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Video_demo_of_Freerunner_running_Android_Cupcake_T utorial

brenthen
November 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
i have one of these running android 2.2 off sd card and qtmoko v35 on nand memory i love it :D:D

Elfy
November 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Party is over in this thread long ago - closed