PDA

View Full Version : Elder noobs.

JacobRogers
January 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I really wish I had the skill to make this a reality but I thought I do have the skill to throw this idea out to you guys and see what happens.

I've seen little programs that automatically set up your computer with commonly used applications, what about a program that will make a computer elderly-friendly. It could do things like make text, radio buttons, check boxes etc bigger and have a wizard for accessibility options.

What do you guys think?

I know I've ready plenty of stories of people fixing up an Ubuntu install for their parents/grandparents and I was just thinking if somebody made a program to aid people with that it would be cool.

LaRoza
January 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Do you mean a way to make adding the codecs, flash, and java easier?

It would be easy to write, if it doesn't exist in a way that is acceptable.

JacobRogers
January 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Do you mean a way to make adding the codecs, flash, and java easier?

It would be easy to write, if it doesn't exist in a way that is acceptable.

That would help, but I'm talking more about making the computer very very straight forward and simplified and make things bigger and easier to click (maybe disable right clicking to make things fool proof). Those kind of changes.

JacobRogers
January 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
That would help, but I'm talking more about making the computer very very straight forward and simplified and make things bigger and easier to click (maybe disable right clicking to make things fool proof). Those kind of changes.

Like pretend you have bad vision, low mobility, and your hands shake. Imagine I'm making an OS with you in mind. What would it be like?

LaRoza
January 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Like pretend you have bad vision, low mobility, and your hands shake. Imagine I'm making an OS with you in mind. What would it be like?

Ubuntu with the accessability options on.

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Ubuntu with the accessability options on.

i concur

you can just enable these for them or make a distro for them with these pre installed

JacobRogers
January 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ok thanks for the input.