PDA

View Full Version : Can Linux Os Ruin Laptops?

jcer93705
January 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yes what a stupid quetion. LOL I received this from my brother
my mother baught it from him for me for Christmas. My brother
went to IT in somewhere in California and anyways he works now
at Compusa. Anyways I am having a issue with my Sony VGN-FS 790
it will not boot onless if i have power supply thingy attach once turn on i can unplug it and still runs. Anyways I told my brother my
problem. Then I ask him, my battery works a bit more in linux.
He went nuts on me, because i have linux. And he thinks linux
is not meant for laptop. He thinks it can ruin it. I think it can
not ruin my vaio laptop. Even if windows xp driver needs to come
from sony. Linux is made from millions of people. What do ya
all think? Can linux, and linux driver ruin a laptop electronics?

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
there used to be an issue with the laptop harddrives being on constantly but this was corrected in the 2.6.8 or something kernal and even if its older theyre fixes availble

but ive heard this many time, i want statistical proof the and operating system can do damage to hard ware in anyway

ster1988
January 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
lol your brother sounds jealous that you have linux, i doubt that linux could harm your hardware. if you are having power issues it may be a bad charger those things go out pretty frequently.

frup
January 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I've heard rumors about problems with hard drives and the occasional person blaming linux on battery failure but in reality I think neither is a problem. So many people here use laptops and none of them have problems.

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
batteries fail all the time i dont know how anyone can blame that on linux, i used to get almost 2 hours on linux before my laptop broke, and like 1,5 on windows xp and like 1.25 on vista ((those arent really bad numbers it was a 17" screen))

lisati
January 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I, too, have heard rumours. If you have a recent version of Linux running on a fairly new machine, and take reasonable care not to do something stupid, you should be okay......

Zack McCool
January 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I've spent the past 20+ years building, installing and repairing PC's, Servers and Laptops of all flavors. I am highly regarded for my knowledge base. My services are well sought after. I do not work in a Computer Store, though I once did, many years ago.

No OS, or any other piece of software, physically harms hardware. It just doesn't happen. I've never seen any evidence of it. I've never read any verifiable data that even suggests it.

Your brother is probably a nice guy. He's probably plenty smart. But if he believes this line of crap, he has been had.

ZapalacX
January 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
No, that just doesn't happen. It won't ruin it any more than Vista will.

prabbit237
January 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM
No OS, or any other piece of software, physically harms hardware. It just doesn't happen. I've never seen any evidence of it. I've never read any verifiable data that even suggests it.

Actually, there are a couple of ways software can ruin some parts of the hardware. Using the wrong frequency on the video drivers can kill the monitor. Also, something that forces a CD or DVD drive to repeatedly start, stop, start, stop, etc. can overheat the drive. But those are rare and they can also happen just as easily with windows (i.e. there's nothing inherent to Linux that would cause problems any more than windows.)

But kill the motherboard or any card on it? You're right, it ain't gonna happen.

Kzin
January 5th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Two colleagues of mine, both of which are probably part of these forums, have linux running on their laptops.
One has Kbuntu running on an Acer and one has Ubuntu running on a mac and an older IBM thinkpad.
The one with the mac uses it constantly as a media streamer for his living room, has been for a couple of years with no complaints. The one with the acer buys a new laptop every year, but thats because he chucks it across the room like he doesn't care about money. Makes me wanna cry koz I don't have a laptop hahaha.

oldos2er
January 5th, 2008, 02:19 AM
"Linux is made from millions of people."

Soylent Green is made from people!

Sorry, just had to chuckle at that....

Dr Small
January 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM
My brother
went to IT in somewhere in California and anyways he works now
at Compusa.
Your brother won't work at CompUSA long... they are closing the last 100 that are still around.

http://lists.rmlug.org/pipermail/rmlug-general/2007-December/003614.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/08/076226

cwej
January 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I'm writing this on my System 76 (Pangolin) laptop. It replaced my old IBM T41 (pre-Lenovo) laptop, which I passed down to my son. Both run Ubuntu (the IBM has since 2006). Works great. Lasts a long time.

Now can a setting in an OS harm a computer? Sure. For example, if some an ill conceived setting (e.g., in fstab) causes your hard drive to constantly spin; or, if CPU is run over-clocked and chassis cooling is insufficient to compensate, eventual harm might ensue. The moral is don't do stupid stuff, regardless of OS. Ubuntu defaults to not-dumb. Users are free to override.

BreathEasy
January 5th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Wasn't there a controversy a few years back how Mandrake Linux had something in the installer which had the potential to permanently KILL specific LG optical drives? From what I can remember it had something to do with the LG's firmware being non-standard and it wasn't really the fault of the distro, but then again, it happened, and Linux was the cause. So there. :)

cwej
January 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM
OK. Anything is possible. Just to put this into perspective, I've replaced Windows with Linux on several of my kid's computers after WIndows eaten unrecoverably by adware, horribly screwed up registries, virus's, pwnd by virus attack, etc. Fewer problems with Linux than with Windows/DOS, and I've been "power user" since DOS 3.0...

FuturePilot
January 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
For what it's worth, I've been running Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop for almost 2 years and it's still going strong. Especially for as old as this thing is getting. :)

HermanAB
January 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Yes, you can ruin a laptop if you turn ACPI and speed stepping off. With Windows it is more difficult to make that mistake.

So, if you are stupid, then you can ruin your laptop with Linux.

macogw
January 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM

There is ONE way I have heard of. One of my friends was trying to write a video card driver for Linux in 1992 because his card wasn't supported. In an attempt to figure out how the card worked so he knew how to program it, he sent power through each pin on the card. When he sent too much power through the wrong pin, it went up through the cable and blew up the monitor. He went through 3 monitors writing that driver XD

As long as you're not a teenage hacker attempting to write drivers for a piece of hardware you know nothing about, though....you'll be fine.

Kzin
January 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Installing Ubuntu on one of my home boxes this weekend appeared to "fry" my drive. Upon further investigation, the time last weekend that my os that was on the drive crashed (prompting me to install Ubuntu on it), I found that the drive had reached well above 70 degrees Celsius. If I had left the corrupted os on there (Win 2000 if you're wondering) the drive would probably been able to limp along. The act of re installing an OS caused the firmware on the drive to allocate all of it's "spare" blocks, and the drive started reporting errors.
Bah.
I used Seagate's repair utility to repair the drive, and installed anyways. Not too smart because its just going to fail again soon, but hey, I know this drive is on borrowed time.

Point of this post? Well, the drive failed because of other reasons, not because I tried to install linux on it, even though to a less experienced user it could have seemed like it was because of linux.

Installing Ubuntu right now on an Alienware Area 51. I'll let you know how it goes.

mips
January 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
YES it can. I'm saying this as I'm no Linux zealot.

I will give you an example. With Feisty 7.04 on some Fujitsu(-Siemens) laptops there was a kernel issue where the cpu fan would not turn on at all. The laptop would boot, overheat, hang & reset. It got bloody hot to be honest and heat is no friend of electronic gear. I don't think it would have killed it outright but it would have shortened it's life.

The only major thing I would check for is to see if the fans turn on or not, this is very important but besides this I would not worry about it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=441036

PriceChild
January 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
The harddrive "bug" is not Linux, but the manufacturers not choosing sane defaults.

I know that the lm-sensors package can kill thinkpads if you don't read the warning and tell it to continue anyway.

Linux won't kill your laptop, unless you do something incredibly stupid which you can do on Windows anyway.

mips
January 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
There is ONE way I have heard of. One of my friends was trying to write a video card driver for Linux in 1992 because his card wasn't supported. In an attempt to figure out how the card worked so he knew how to program it, he sent power through each pin on the card. When he sent too much power through the wrong pin, it went up through the cable and blew up the monitor. He went through 3 monitors writing that driver XD

I'm sorry but that sounds like a load of BS to me. First of all you cannot send power to all the pins of the card as that is not how the PCI/AGP bus was designed. There is no way in hell you can deliver power to the adress or data bus pins. Power can only be delivered via the dedicated power pins. Secondly the monitor output is usually isolated from most of the other circuitry. This just sounds a bit way to far fetched to me.

Edit:
In 1992 it was probably a ISA or EISA bus.

koleoptero
January 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I am using ubuntu with my toshiba m70 for several months now with no problems. the battery lasts longer than in xp, and the whole system runs faster thanks to the lack of antivirus and antispyware scanners.

Kzin
January 10th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Installing Ubuntu right now on an Alienware Area 51. I'll let you know how it goes.

Failure =( :'( (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=662836)

But it didn't mess up the laptop at all. Re-imaged to OEM XP Home just fine. *sniff*