PDA

View Full Version : open source Patchlink like software

DouglasAWh
January 4th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'm trying to find some information about a potential Patchlink like open source tool. I know there's Xen, but I'm talking about for ******* too (actually, primarily for *******). My workplace is, regrettably, a ******* shop. We have a SUSE server, and I am trying to get my printer management Linux based and off HP Web Jet Admin for *******, but I'm not in charge of what we use, just supporting it...soooo, back to the question at hand. All my Google searches turn up security debates about FOSS vs. proprietary (mostly *******) and that's not what I want. I'm decidedly on the FOSS camp, I just want to know about this one application type. For those not familiar with Patchlink, here's the website: www.lumension.com/.

And, while I'm posting, might as well ask about BackupExec/CommVault replacements too, though that seems to be a much more complicated situation and I don't think there's any chance of us moving off BackupExec, whereas, I could see us moving away from Patchlink when our subscription ran out if we found something good.

DouglasAWh
May 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
hey guys and gals,

I got a post off-list about this, so I thought I would respond here for everyone. The best things I've found that are similar to patchlink are Spacewalk (Red Hat) and Landscape (Canonical) and both are for their respective distributions (though spacewalk is working on Debian and Solaris support).

I have changed jobs and I no longer use Patchlink, so I'm not sure the state of affairs with them. We currently use SMS for the Windows side and I working on getting a spacewalk server up and running for our Linux installs. I am deeply saddened that Landscape is proprietary since I've been firmly in the Ubuntu camp for nearly two years. It looks like we'll be moving to Fedora and using spacewalk. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this.

So, if the original questions about FOSS deployment tools for Windows, I have no better knowledge than I did.