PDA

View Full Version : New Kid

Roy Radford
January 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hi, Everyone,

So this is the Cafe.. (White with 2 sugars please, waiter. :))

I'm the new kid on the block... Well... bit elderly for a kid really, 69 years young at the last count.

New to Linux for all practical purposes, I did have a brief affair with Suse several years ago, but with work and family commitments I couldn't really get into something which didn't fall into my lap as soon as I opened the box!

My main interests are learning to play the electronic organ, and building VTPO (Virtual Theatre Pipe Organs) The basic idea is you connect MIDI keyboards and pedalboard to a computer, link the soundcard to a decent speaker system, and run a program which simulates the sounds and actions of a pipe organ.

The synthesiser part of the job requires a LOT of computer power for serious work, and the VTPO forums I belong to have recently started getting interested in Linux to get more 'Bang for buck' in that department.

The philosophy of the various VTPO groups is similar to that of the Linux community. Everyone contributes what they can to the cause of making decent VTPO programs freely availabe to everyone else.

I've installed Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, accepting all defaults because I don't know any better yet! All went well until I discovered that the soundcard wasn't installed if the USB keyboards are connected at boot time???

Some fumbling with files I barely understand seems to show that the keyboards are being treated as soundcards. (They are NOT, they only produce MIDI messages, not sound!)

...Just chatting, I'd better learn a bit more basics before I think of posting this in the more serious forums!

Have fun,

Roy.

Nano Geek
January 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the Forums and the Cafe.
Sorry, but we don't serve caffeinated drinks here. Some of the guys here get too hyper under the influence of caffeine and then the mods have to kick them out temporarily. ;)

Just kidding. I hope you enjoy using Ubuntu. Please don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Lster
January 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu (and the forums). :)

If you have any problems post a thread in the appropriate sub forum - I remember the great advice that I got when I was a Ubuntu newby (still am). You should probably also read the link in my signature about malicious commands to get clued up.

Enjoy your time here. :)