PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for linux / ubuntu

NoTiG
September 15th, 2005, 12:23 AM
A unified boot process... sort of like suse where the boot up screen and gdm login are all sort of the same... but ALSO Initng so the whole boot process is much faster. Booting up in 15 seconds with some cool splash would be nice :P

An improvement to the filesystem ext3... EIther reiser4... or enable the dir_index so that its better/faster .

Better default fonts... I think the ones that ship are shoddy... maybe the bitstream vera ones or something

A migrating tool to transfer bookmarks and stuff for new users that just works

Full desktop acceleration for Nvidia AND ati users using opengl. I guess exa might do this.. but after reading the recent article about the state of linux graphics... it looks like there is no clear direction which is kind of disappointing >< . eyecandy improvements and a better theming system as well .

The improvement of gcc 4 so that programs compiled are actually FASTER than gcc 3 ... etc...

some kind of improvement to either gtk 2.8 or metacity... memory reduction and general speed improvements all around

A p2p program that is actually good... sort of like bearshare .. but without the adware

Shockwave (how many votes will it take? theres 12k already)

ANd one small thing that i wanted.... a modification to the GUI sysstem where.... if you click on a window (such as firefox) and where you click doesnt actualy do anything (like the grey area to the right of the help menu) .. to have it act as a handle bar... like the top, so that you can move and drag the window by clicking elsewhare besides just the top bar (sets the stage for a future Blended theme)

stoffe
September 15th, 2005, 12:36 AM
A unified boot process... sort of like suse where the boot up screen and gdm login are all sort of the same... but ALSO Initng so the whole boot process is much faster. Booting up in 15 seconds with some cool splash would be nice :PHehe, wishing is always nice. Actually, I do sometimes wish that the DHCP and networking stuff was handled in the background. It can take a long time getting an answer which could be used to starting other stuff in the meantime.

An improvement to the filesystem ext3... EIther reiser4... or enable the dir_index so that its better/faster .Dunno. Will not install a filesystem that needs to check itself every 30 boots to be sure ever again, that's for sure. Or if it needs or wants to, it shouldn't take soo looong tiiime. A home desktop here gets turned off at least once per day, so this happens often.

some kind of improvement to either gtk 2.8 or metacity... memory reduction and general speed improvements all aroundDon't know what is the problem, but I could do with especially faster startup times, that is true. YELP and Gedit for instance should just be tiny fast apps, especially as everything else uses them, but they both take ages to start. I do hope that some time is spent on unglorious optimizing now and then. :)

But in general, I'm much satisfied. Best OS I've tried, and it's only just starting. ;-)

endy
September 15th, 2005, 12:52 AM
You're right about the boot times, they are starting to become an issue and to the average non technical user it's a major show of performance. In fact I think I'll start playing around with initng this week :)

You have to be patient about gcc4, IIRC this version allows for some good optimisation that will come in the future, what we have so far is the foundation for a much, much better compiler :)

With gkt moving to cairo we are at the beginning of a big change aswell, laying the foundations to what should be some major imporvements. Again we have to be a little patient.

Regarding Shockwave, that's up to Adobe/Macromedia and I guess they can't be bothered. Booo :(

Ubunted
September 15th, 2005, 01:07 AM
A unified install format.

That is all.

gflores
September 15th, 2005, 01:22 AM
A unified install format.

That is all.
Agreed.

xequence
September 15th, 2005, 01:40 AM
A unified boot process... sort of like suse where the boot up screen and gdm login are all sort of the same... but ALSO Initng so the whole boot process is much faster. Booting up in 15 seconds with some cool splash would be nice :P

Yes, it currently takes me a couple minutes to start up my computer.

Better default fonts... I think the ones that ship are shoddy... maybe the bitstream vera ones or something

I havnt noticed any problems.

A p2p program that is actually good... sort of like bearshare .. but without the adware

Bittorent is THE p2p program. How many movies, 8 GB full seasons of shows, modified version of windows, and unreleased movies/music do you see on gnutella, fasttrack, etc? Well, maybe some, but the majority of it is on bittorent sites. Bittorent is the best p2p program out there, nothing comes close in my opinion. Unless you are downloading one song at a time, use something on the gnutella network. I use gnome bittorent very much and I find it to be a very lightweight and great addition to ubuntu.

weasel fierce
September 15th, 2005, 06:03 AM
The main thing I'd like is a sort of double-click install for deb files.

That and more obscure hardware supported

GoA
September 15th, 2005, 07:05 AM
That you could move windows without high cpu usage, you could move files without high cpu-usage (Yes, DMA is on. Today I copied about 7 gigs of mp3 from fat-partition to reiserfs partition and it took 100 % cpu usage. Drice speed is ok so I don't understand how it can take 100 % cpu usge with 2.2 GHz Athlon)

poofyhairguy
September 15th, 2005, 07:14 AM
That you could move windows without high cpu usage

Thats why they are modernizing the Xorg. I have what you want today in Breezy.

GoA
September 15th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I'm using Breezy.

GeneralZod
September 15th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Pretty much just the use of init-ng or some other boot-time reducing technology, and lower memory consumption for KDE. I gather that both of these are already being worked on, howeverm, which is great :)

Edit:

Oh, and binary-diff style security updates. A 90+MB patch to fix a priviledge-escalation vulnerability should never be required. According to jdong, SUSE 9.3 already has this, and it works very well.

Mishura
September 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM
1. Faster boot times (mentioned earlier)
2. More commercial games. :)
3. Faster desktop.
4. Full webcam/microphone support for Gaim or Kopete for AIM and Yahoo! protocols.
5. Better embedded movie support in browsers? Mplayerplug-in works most of the time.. but not all.
6. A firefox thats just as fast as on Windows..
7. UBUNTU SPECIFIC: The "option" of being able to download extra CDs for more packages. So that I can install Ubuntu on a computer w/o internet access. Keep the 1 CD install deal, but have extra CDs so I can download on broadband and go over to somwhere else and install what I want. Just an idea. :)

npaladin2000
September 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
4. Full webcam/microphone support for Gaim or Kopete for AIM and Yahoo! protocols. Try Gaim-vv or GyachEnhanced/pY!VoiceChat

5. Better embedded movie support in browsers? Mplayerplug-in works most of the time.. but not all. Try using the VLC and its plugin instead of MPlayer; I've had much better luck with it.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM
1) faster bootups.
2) a GNOME that isn't so memory-hungry
3) Hardware-accelerated Xserver
4)better wlan drivers

poofyhairguy
September 15th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I'm using Breezy.

I guess its my Nvidia card then.

GoA
September 15th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I guess its my Nvidia card then.

I'm also having nvidia card. :D But I didn't install the nvidia drivers. somehow I had problems with kernel, fonts or something else and the machine didn't start properly. Everytime had to manually write startx.

And then some new points which are annouying me very much. Currently trying Kubuntu.

Mouse buttons. I know it's the manufactures fault that there is no drivers but does it have to be so difficult to use sidebuttons? In ubuntu I was able to get them work in firefox, in hoary it worked with nautilus but not in breezy.

And sound, gee. don't know where to start. I'm using Terratec aureon sky and why it has to be so difficult to have all the sounds to work together. I hate this tuning and fixing. Anf now in kubuntu (yes, beta, I know) I had to reboot x at least 10 times when I was tuning my bmp and kde sound settings because the darn thing freeze all the time. And then nvidia driver installation. The installer is easy to use after you get sort out all the dependencies even with help of how to. Lost one evening for that.

And then the differences with kde and gnome. I love gnome because of the simplicity. However it lacks some properties which KDE haves and so on, cannot decide which to use. And then java, in breexy when I installed j2re 1.5 the java version still shoved me that it vas 1.42 blackdown blaa blaa. There was no help for that in forums so I just tryed to remove some java packages and finally got it work. Then the updates, Microsost has also problems with that but most of the time their updates ainät something like 20 mb per time. Luckily i have 10/10 connection so there's no waiting for me so that I can test new things and so on.

Thanks for reading this out. :) And yes, still using kubuntu, but will switch back to ubuntu. And if I install hoary now, tune up drivers and so on, I'm afraid to upgrade it to breezy because likely it will broke something up...

escuchamezz
September 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Try Gaim-vv or GyachEnhanced/pY!VoiceChat

yahoo receive only,msn and aol don't work at all, why would anyone use this?

papangul
September 15th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Qingy , using directfb, as the login manager since it starts instantly unlike gnome login manager, which depends on x-server.
http://qingy.sourceforge.net/themes.php

poofyhairguy
September 15th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I'm also having nvidia card. :D But I didn't install the nvidia drivers. somehow I had problems with kernel, fonts or something else and the machine didn't start properly. Everytime had to manually write startx.

Did you try the ones in the repository? I installed the drivers the way the Ubuntu Guide says (in Breezy) and now my computer flies with xcompmgr turned on.

GoA
September 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM
It's better now, thanks. Not perfect but much better. Only sound and mouse problems to solve and that is almost done by switching back to gnome.

poofyhairguy
September 15th, 2005, 08:29 PM
It's better now, thanks. Not perfect but much better. Only sound and mouse problems to solve and that is almost done by switching back to gnome.

Glad to help. I can tell you that xcompmgr and Breezy's Gnome work well together. I suggest using it:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=161495&threshold=0&commentsort=0&tid=131&mode=thread&cid=13506790