PDA

View Full Version : Technology Fair, Help me plan my part :)

JNowka
January 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
I am going to college, and I work there as well in Technology Services. I even have fun there. I spread the word of open source and Linux to all. I pass out Ubuntu CD's, and continue to try my best to get Linux and open source into the college's education plan.

Today my boss, and his boss( one of the VP's) approached me today and asked me to set up a Linux demonstration booth. A computer will be given to me to do just that, and I will be allowed to work on it while everything is slow. I want make it known that Linux is a valid alternative, and not just for the geek anymore. I need to know some things that I can do to help facilitate this. The following is what I have thought up.

1)Compiz Fusion (Eye Candy is always good!)
2)Awn (Once again throw a little eye candy in)
3)Music (Who couldn't live without this stuff!)
4)Games
Extreme Tux Racer
Nexuiz
Open Arena

That is what I have thought up of so far. I will also have a second computer set up with the default install showing people just what they get from just installing it. And I will be passing out free CD's of Gutsy Gibbon. I am planning some flyer's and the like as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

stalker145
January 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
That is what I have thought up of so far. I will also have a second computer set up with the default install showing people just what they get from just installing it. And I will be passing out free CD's of Gutsy Gibbon. I am planning some flyer's and the like as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how practical it would be for you (or even how many people would want to see it) but you could have a few other laptops lying about. One for those that would be willing to sit and watch for 20 minutes while the OS installed (to show how easy it is - then blast it and start over for the next group) and a couple of others for "customers" to play with and get their questions thought of.

If it's possible to have wireless set up, you could let them try everything out (IM, email, web browsing, networking, blah, blah) to possibly get some real interest and see that it's really not that hard to use Linux.

amadeus266
January 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
You must include the other things people use computers for as well...Open Office, e-mail, internet, etc, etc...

I would be sure to cover as many reasons people buy and use computers both in their work and everyday lives and that it all can be done on a FOSS platform.

tdrusk
January 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
bring in a windows vista computer.

compare.

Techwiz
January 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I would suggest preparing yourself for some of the most common questions. And at least outline what you are going to say about Ubuntu. Good luck with your demo!

oldb0y
January 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
You could also mention the whole virus/spyware issue. Ubuntu, and other open-source apps are free:) Maybe you could install ubuntu on a old computer, just to show that it requires less hardware. Good luck at the fair!

Techwiz
January 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Good luck at the fair!

Yes. Tell us what happens!
Good luck!

JNowka
January 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I will have a 1.8Ghz Intel Pentium 4 computer with 512Mb of Ram and a NVidia 440 mx Video card.

Here is the plan so far:
This Theme:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Enduro+Black?content=65333

This Icon Set:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/black-white+2+Gloss?content=72621

This Wallpaper
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ubuntu+ice?content=71867

If you can think of something better let me know.

I plan on setting up a second box that has just the default installation and will be about 7 years old. I plan on making flyers and brochers to be given away at the tech fair, not to mention CDs.

Stalker145:
I love the idea about demonstrating an ubuntu install a few times.

I will be allowing users to play with and use the computer that I am setting up to be the demo computer. I want people to try it out, and see just what is possible with Linux first hand. I will be making sure that it has internet access.

Lastly I am preparing way in advance. The Tech Fair is going to be Feb. 28th. I have given speeches on the pro's and con's of Linux not to mention creating a Linux Lab for a Software Certification class. So I feel very comfortable doing this

Well I am working on the planning still.

swoll1980
January 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
open office would seem like the most important thing. Providing a viable alternitive to ms office saves people hundreds of dollars and from what I've seen the fastest way to someones heart is through there wallet

Lostincyberspace
January 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Bring some food if you can, even some candy set out in a bowl will do. Because the quickest fay to win someone over is with food, it has some thing to do with primordial instinct or some thing.

Also see if you can get a copy of doom for linux and maybe run some things in wine to show it as a kind of fail safe.