PDA

View Full Version : Do you have antivirus software on your Linux box?

m i k e
January 3rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I've heard different things about the need for antivirus software on Linux so I thought I'd see what other people are doing.

Vaelrith
January 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
I didn't have antivirus on windows, and I survived until I switched to linux, so still no antivirus here.

bomanizer
January 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I've used clamscan once on my current box. It reported two warnings and I was like, "what the h---?" Turned out to be a couple of big .zip files...

Nunu
January 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Never thought of it as a problem on Ubuntu with it's access control.

This is some interesting reading though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses)

Daveski
January 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
The need for Antivirus software has been debated a number of times. Here is one of the threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131616

My opinion is that if you are going to be sharing files with Windows users, then you should be checking that those files are not infected before passing them on to others - seems I am in the minority though.

AnonCat
January 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
I use anti-virus for scanning email attachments so I don't inadvertently send Windows viruses to others on my email list. I'm not really worried much about my Linux system becoming infected though.

Nunu
January 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
The need for Antivirus software has been debated a number of times. Here is one of the threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131616

My opinion is that if you are going to be sharing files with Windows users, then you should be checking that those files are not infected before passing them on to others - seems I am in the minority though.

I would agree with you on that one. MS Viruses are like the common cold lately

insane_alien
January 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
I do have an antivirus on ubuntu BUT it is only because, being the neighbourhood geek, i have loads of people asking me to fix their PC,s after they have become so infected they don't even start up. being a nice guy i get linux to remove the viruses and get windows into a bootable state. then i go and install all the necessary tools to prevent a reoccurence.

i do this for free because i'm a nice guy and i like a futile challenge.

Lster
January 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I do have an antivirus on ubuntu BUT it is only because, being the neighbourhood geek, i have loads of people asking me to fix their PC,s after they have become so infected they don't even start up. being a nice guy i get linux to remove the viruses and get windows into a bootable state. then i go and install all the necessary tools to prevent a reoccurence.

i do this for free because i'm a nice guy and i like a futile challenge.

Same here, dunno about the challenge bit. ;)

insane_alien
January 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
you have obviously not encountered a situation where there are thousands upon thousands of the 'do these 30 bazillion steps to remove, no automated remover yet invented' types of viruses that have expanded to take over the entire disk then have you?

the type where if you miss one and then boot up its like going back to square one.

boast
January 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
just weekly scans of my shared media with clam av

bobbocanfly
January 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Always use anti-virus on Windows but will wait until there is a proper Linux virus spreading in the wild before i slow my computer down with AV.

insane_alien
January 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
bob, you don't need to have it running, for instance, mine isn't running at all just now. i don't need to scan anything. but it comes in handy from time to time.

it'll be used tomorrow as one of my neighbours boxes has folded in on itself again. its a PEBKAC problem that just will not get solved. i've tried for years to convince him to leave the programs i put on installed and change operating system (winME). i think i'm going to try and get him on linux. for the sole reason that he does nothing but play solitaire and browse the web. he also thinks FAT32 is superior to NTFS i asked if he knew what a filesystem was and he said 'sure its that word thingy'. i rest my case on the PEBKAC issue.