PDA

View Full Version : Making a new engine?

perlluver
January 3rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Is it possible to make a new engine based on the Linux Kernel? To auto detect a publishing program, that adds 3D shading, pixel smoothing, etc.

Compyx
January 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Your post doesn't make sense at all, what the hell did you smoke?

perlluver
January 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
that wasn't for me, that was for my wife's cousin, doesn't make any sense to me either...

pmasiar
January 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
how is publishing program related to kernel? Or you mean another distro? And why you need distro, just install the program you need?

Borbus
January 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Engines like ID's Doom 3 engine and Epic's Unreal 3 engine work on Linux fine. More of a problem is the drivers that are available on Linux, nVidia's are pretty good but ATI's are lacking significantly. Both are nowhere near as good as the Windows versions though.

Some other engines rely on Direct X stuff, like Source. This has nothing to do with the Windows kernel vs. Linux kernel, though. It just means Microsoft only make the proprietary crap for their own OS.

perlluver
January 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I guess he want's to write a couple of line in the kernel. So that he can do a loop to open up a new program and check fro changes every couple of minutes. I am not a programmer, so I have no Idea what he is talking about.

bobbocanfly
January 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I guess he want's to write a couple of line in the kernel. So that he can do a loop to open up a new program and check fro changes every couple of minutes. I am not a programmer, so I have no Idea what he is talking about.

That could be done easily with a shell script and a cron job. No need to go anywhere near as deep as the Kernel.

jespdj
January 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
that wasn't for me, that was for my wife's cousin, doesn't make any sense to me either...
Why doesn't your wife's cousin ask those questions himself in the forums here? Why is he asking you, who doesn't know anything about programming, to ask vague and strange questions here?