PDA

View Full Version : Light-hearted rant for web developers

Mateo
January 3rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
Web developers: Do not tell your links to open in a new window. Ever. I'll decide where the links that I click are loaded, thanks. I don't do new windows. It's 2008, not 1998.

ok, just had to get that off my chest, i feel better now.

p_quarles
January 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
. . . and might I just add: Don't use Javascript to disable my context menu, toolbars, navigation bar, or status bar.

Linuxratty
January 3rd, 2008, 03:32 AM
And those building web pages...Don't provide a link that goes to a page that says :"Under Construction."

macogw
January 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Web developers: Do not tell your links to open in a new window. Ever. I'll decide where the links that I click are loaded, thanks. I don't do new windows. It's 2008, not 1998.

Why don't you just use the Firefox setting that opens "new window" links in a new tab?

fedex1993
January 3rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Some people always dont use firefox like i do. I use links to browse the next mostly because its fast for browsing and i like it.

macogw
January 3rd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Some people always dont use firefox like i do. I use links to browse the next mostly because its fast for browsing and i like it.

Does links even pay any attention to "new window" links? It doesn't actually spawn a new terminal for it, does it??? Lynx doesn't.

Dr Small
January 3rd, 2008, 04:16 AM

I use target="_blank" so it opens in a new tab in firefox :p

macogw
January 3rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
I use target="_blank" so it opens in a new tab in firefox :p

That's deprecated in XHTML 1.0 Strict.

Dr Small
January 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
That's deprecated in XHTML 1.0 Strict.
Depreciated my foot. It's still on the w3schools.com/tags page.... I never learned XHTML, only HTML... :|

macogw
January 3rd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Depreciated my foot. It's still on the w3schools.com/tags page.... I never learned XHTML, only HTML... :|

Well it is. It's because target="" defines behaviour, not content, so it's not appropriate for XHTML. The current way around is rel="external" since external site links are what you'd usually open anyway. Then have JS set the targets for all of the links that go somewhere outside the current domain open in new windows/tabs.

Lostincyberspace
January 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Those who do do this are reprieved at all the places i know, but most of the time it is people who really don't know what they are doing

curuxz
January 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM

Sorry but no.

As a professional web developer clients are always asking me to do more to 'trap' customers and this is one of the most ethical and pain free ways of increasing sales. When you get customers in the kill zones of your website you do not want them clicking out of the page when they get distracted.

Just use firefox, life aint fair :P

D-EJ915
January 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
javascript links to open pages always **** me off

LaRoza
January 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
javascript links to open pages always **** me off

See http://laroza.freehostia.com/home

I use ECMAScript to open the navigation links, are you pissed off?

In web development, there are few hard rules, http://www.useit.com has the best advice on the subject.

As for open links in new windows, it is useful for somethings. I once need a way to allow the user to optionally calculate percents (for an insurance type page), so I had a popup calculator (that was small), for the user to use. It was clear by the link it would be a popup though.

Mateo
January 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Sorry but no.

As a professional web developer clients are always asking me to do more to 'trap' customers and this is one of the most ethical and pain free ways of increasing sales. When you get customers in the kill zones of your website you do not want them clicking out of the page when they get distracted.

I'm sure you're correct, but it doesn't work. All that's going to happen is I'm going to copy the URL of the link I tried to open, close the window that you force-created on my desktop, and paste the URL into your website and leave. And I'll be less likely to come back to your website in the future for the annoyance.

By the way, opening in new tabs isn't much better. It's slightly less annoying only because it's quicker to close the previous tab (your website). But the point is, if I want to open in a new tab I'll right-click and open in a new tab. if I want to open in a new window I'll right-click and open in a new window. If I left click, I've already decided that I want to leave your website. And I'm going to leave your website; there's nothing you can do to change it. Annoying me only hurts you.

Methuselah
January 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Don't EVER disable my back button.
Those are sites I never revisit.

Paqman
January 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I'm amazed at the number of designers who think it's ok to try and resize my browser, too.

It's guaranteed to instantly annoy me. It's like going over to someone else's house and rearranging their furniture.