PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk: Proprietary Linux Hardware?!?!

Warpnow
January 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
I was browsing Autodesk's website...the company that makes the ever famous Maya. I was looking at their Flame program.

It says its for linux. Now, flame is a complete workstation solution...like the higher end versions of avid they sell it only on the machine itself. Its a hardware and software bundle designed for a very, very specific purpose.

I would, however, love to be able to get ahold of the software. The hardware solutions will run you more than most of us make in 2 or 3 years salary, so buying it is impossible.

Has anyone heard of a way to get a hold of the software without the outrageously pricy hardware? I have a feeling a video editor developed by the people who make maya would kick Cinellera's ***...

toupeiro
January 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm 99.99999 and 9/10'ths % sure thats illegal.

Autodesk has a past history of using hardware components as a primary or secondary purpose of license control. If they are continuing to do this, what you are blatently asking is for someone to tell you how to pirate an application that would cost more than 2-3 years of our salaries...

Thanks, but I think I'll pass. I rather enjoy my job, my salary, my life, and my freedom.

Warpnow
January 3rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
I didn't ask anyone to do anything illegal or ethically sketchy, I was just asking if anyone had information that I don't have about it.

toupeiro
January 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
I didn't ask anyone to do anything illegal or ethically sketchy, I was just asking if anyone had information that I don't have about it.

Not without most likely breaking the law, I do not, no. Better check an EULA before you go too far into this one, for your own protection. When software/hardware costs that much, the developers don't simply shrug it off.

TeraDyne
January 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Not without most likely breaking the law, I do not, no. Better check an EULA before you go too far into this one, for your own protection. When software/hardware costs that much, the developers don't simply shrug it off.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I think you missed the point of what he's asking. From what I can tell, he's wanting to know if there is anyone knew something that he didn't. In other words, he's seeking information as to whether or not it's possible, not on how to pirate something.

As for the item in question, mind posting a link?

Warpnow
January 3rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5562722&siteID=123112

macogw
January 3rd, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'm 99.99999 and 9/10'ths % sure thats illegal.

Autodesk has a past history of using hardware components as a primary or secondary purpose of license control. If they are continuing to do this, what you are blatently asking is for someone to tell you how to pirate an application that would cost more than 2-3 years of our salaries...

Thanks, but I think I'll pass. I rather enjoy my job, my salary, my life, and my freedom.

He's asking if there's any *legal* way to buy the software, since he has a fine computer to run it on.