PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntuforums made me start drinking coffee

AbtZ
January 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
... well, not entirely true, but I cannot deny the fact that I've been influenced. (Though I guess my 5 am job has helped.) Anyway, I've gone from disliking coffee, to being indefferent, to feeling like drinking it every time I boot Ubuntu, to actually enjoying the bitter black beverage.

What's with the coffee theme here, anyway? Now that I think of it, a coffee brand named Ubuntu just sounds awesome, hehe. I'd buy it.

~LoKe
January 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?

There tends to be a close connection between geeks and coffee, so that's where the theme came from. Yes, we know not everyone likes coffee, but it's just a silly thing.
:)

oldb0y
January 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Coffee is great:)

Dr Small
January 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Coffee is awesome. Expecially Dunkin Donuts or Gevalia ;)

mmb1
January 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Wow, you can drink your coffee black? You are more of a man than I, my friend! :)

mr.propre
January 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm 'addicted' to coffee, not because of Computers, but more because loving it and well, been addicted to it :-)

markp1989
January 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
love coffee (cant have it black though), but my current addiction is Red Bull

TeraDyne
January 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I can't stand the taste of coffee. It leaves me gagging for a while afterward. Give me milk, fruit juice, or water any time, but not coffee.

AbtZ
January 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Wow, you can drink your coffee black? You are more of a man than I, my friend! :)
It's the only way to truly enjoy it, my friend.

My 5-step method, a perfect way to start a new day:

Wake up, get up.
Brew your own coffee, but make sure not to make it too strong.
Don't add any unnecessary items to your brew, e.g. milk -- it will only taste like bitter, watered down milk.
Drink it while it's hot.
Mm. Savor the taste of your newly made black beverage (preferably whilst browsing the forums, or learning more about Ubuntu).

I can't stand the taste of coffee. It leaves me gagging for a while afterward. Give me milk, fruit juice, or water any time, but not coffee.
That was my point. I was like that less than a year ago. Then Ubuntu happened.

Dr Small
January 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
I add one lump of sugar and barely any cream to it, and drink it like that. But I don't like to many different flavors :S

jken146
January 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
I like coffee, but it just can't stand up to tea.

Pethegreat
January 3rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Wow, you can drink your coffee black? You are more of a man than I, my friend!
You don't get any coffee if you water it down with creamer and sugar.
The 6 or 8 times I drank coffee, I drank it straight. I did not enjoy the taste, but I knew I was getting a vital caffeine boost.

For my caffeine intake, I prefer rip it (cheap energy drink), Bawls, and others assorted caffeine boosted beverages. I keep my self down to only one or two a week. I did give my self a slight case of caffeine addiction last year. I don't want to be a slave to the coffee maker, but I like caffeine. Moderation is key.

Red Bull
Expensive and inferior to almost everything. For the price of 4 250ml red bull cans, I can get 8 500ml cans of rip it. I get over 4 times the caffeine for the same price.

r4ik
January 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Real men don't drink coffee they chew on beans.

hockey97
January 3rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
ya same here ever since I got ubuntu I wanted to drink coffee. I now drink coffee some times black tea.

hockey97
January 3rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
error445

AbtZ
January 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM
As to the health benefits of coffee, we have a quite interesting anecdote of local fame here in Sweden.

During the 18th century king Gustav III of Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_III_of_Sweden) was convinced that coffee was bad for you, perhaps even poisonous. To prove his point he commanded that two death sentenced criminals, who were also identical twins, should be executed by different means -- one by drinking three pitchers of coffee each day for the rest of his life, the other by drinking the same amout of tea. Two physicians were assigned to monitor their health and report back to the king the moment one of them died.

The years passed by, and in another famous event the king was assassinated during a masked ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_III_of_Sweden#Assassination)in Stockholm. Some time thereafter both the physicians died, but the experiment still carried on.

It wasn't until reaching the ripe old age (even in our days) of 83 years that one of the twins died.

It was the tea drinker.

fedex1993
January 4th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Well actually ever since i ahve seen some people talking about coffee and what not but also the theme for ubuntu coffee beans i started drinking coffee to about 2 months ago i use an aol cd as the coaster

Kzin
January 4th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Black
As my title implies at the time of this post, just give me the beans.

barbedsaber
January 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/candy/6e27/

and if you want more

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/

Kzin
January 4th, 2008, 04:16 AM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/candy/6e27/

and if you want more

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/

But I like the flavour of good coffee too.

barbedsaber
January 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM
There is no doubt that coffe beats caffineated **** any day, I should have quoted the guy that made the red bull reference.

steveneddy
January 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Go to Wal Mart and get a bag of 8 o'clock coffee, french roast, full bean and gring it course at the store.

Go to Target and buy a french press, 6-8 cup and use that to brew your coffee..

It will probably be the best coffee you have ever drank.

:popcorn:

Lostincyberspace
January 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I can't drink coffee (allergic), but I am addicted to DR. PEPPER (4-6 liters a day).

methodical
January 4th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I've started to drink coffee at work since I started programming.

Lucifiel
January 4th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Heck, I also started drinking a lot more coffee but also... nowadays, I just drink it black without sugar, cream, etc. :P

p_quarles
January 4th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Go to Wal Mart and get a bag of 8 o'clock coffee, french roast, full bean and gring it course at the store.

I'm a fan of 8 O'Clock too. It's not the best coffee in the world, and it's not the cheapest coffee in the world, but it is by far and away the best combination of those two factors.

On-topic: I've been caffeine-dependent for much, much longer than I've been a regular at these forums. Black, thank you very much.

Linuxratty
January 4th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Now i can drink tea with just some peach juice,but I have to have my soy milk and coco with my coffee.

twin_57103
January 4th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I'm the black sheep when it comes to computers and coffee - the coffee came first. It's only in the last few years that my computer skills have really grown, but I've been drinking coffee since high school.

I'm not a fan of french press - even with coarse-ground coffee, you still get a lot of grit and it's messy to clean up.

The thing about coffee that I find most addictive is the flavor - rich and dark, but not bitter (not when well-prepared). Sometimes I'll add cream, but never sugar. The key to good coffee is high-quality coffee, fresh water, and a good, clean coffee maker.

Fair trade coffee (or other "socially responsible" labels) ensures that the workers get a fair wage for their product and the cost is comparable to other quality coffees. There are several good varieties (depends on location, I'm sure), and a few coffee houses have it available for prepared beverages.

metalpancake
January 4th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm only 15 but I love drinking coffee!:)
My parents allow me to drink normal coffee in the mornings, but after lunch I have to have decaf.
It doesn't taste as good but it's not too bad.

swoll1980
January 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
speedway coffee blows

cartisdm
January 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM

:popcorn:

Two things. First, I have to agree with the french press. In fact, that's half the reason for my recent coffee addiction. My roommate first introduced me to it in September and it's so much better, try it if you haven't had it.

Second, I must give credit to Ubuntu for the rest. Seeing coffee talk all the time really gives me the craving. Actually I just had my 2nd cup like an hour ago

Drink on ubuntu fans

Flying caveman
January 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
My girlfriend refers to the Ubuntu forums as the "Coffee bean forums". Seriously!

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
My girlfriend refers to the Ubuntu forums as the "Coffee bean forums". Seriously!

same with mine bro, well sort of to her its the "coffee forum" but close enough

im personally a tea man myself

AbtZ
January 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I go both ways... :-\"

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I go both ways... :-\"

haha you go both ways

/preteen snickering

jsheeren
January 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
you know what they say: 6-8 cup's of coffee a day, keeps the doctor away ;)

what's your average use of coffee anyway? i drink around 7 cups a day, black, no sugar....

AbtZ
January 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Two.

Unless I'm working.

haha you go both ways

/preteen snickering
I see my sharp wit is not lost on you, my friend. :roll:

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Two.

Unless I'm working.

I see my sharp wit is not lost on you, my friend. :roll:

;-) you know it

cartisdm
January 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
same with mine bro, well sort of to her its the "coffee forum" but close enough

That's funny, my girlfriend refers to it as "get off that stupid website and stop playing on your computer like a little kid" forum :)

bufsabre666
January 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
That's funny, my girlfriend refers to it as "get off that stupid website and stop playing on your computer like a little kid" forum :)

might i say she is quite good at coming up with quick simple direct names

TheKyle
January 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think a coffee hobby compliments the computer hobby: They're different but go well together.

barbedsaber
January 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
you know what they say: 6-8 cup's of coffee a day, keeps the doctor away ;)

what's your average use of coffee anyway? i drink around 7 cups a day, black, no sugar....

around 7 cups a day, you need help

cartisdm
January 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM
yea I can't imagine that being healthy by any means

CouchMaster
January 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Dark Roast Sumatra,
or Texas Pecan (HEB brand)
Ubuntu even sounds like a coffee name...

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/
http://www.andersonscoffee.com/home.html

Iehova
January 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Coffee, no. Tea all the way. :guitar: I love the stuff, I simply cannot start the day without a nice cup of tea...

esmerine
January 9th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Being a child I couldn't imagine how my mom could possibly drink that horrible liquid????????
But then something happened. I'm not a coffee maniac though but I adore those sacred moments of drinking it.
There is no surprise I love ubuntuforums.org not only for being soooo helpful but also for this wonderful coffee theme!

recoding
January 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Can i just ask [even tho I'm a tea drinker] where all the coffee came from? i come here and it tells me someone has "Fresh Brewed Ubuntu" or "First cup of Ubuntu" [as mine is as i post this] i just don't get why you chose coffee :P

AbtZ
January 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I don't want to sound like an *******, but you could at least have made the effort of reading the first few posts. Sure, 5 pages might be too much, but <5 posts?? Your question has already been posed and answered in the very beginning of this thread.

Seek and ye shall find.

recoding
January 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
i did look.. all i can see is the question:
"What's with the coffee theme here, anyway? Now that I think of it, a coffee brand named Ubuntu just sounds awesome, hehe. I'd buy it."

Then alot of people saying they like coffee, sorry to seem such a idiot, just this has been on mind for a while, i couldn't think of a link.

I have read all posts on this thread, sorry if i missed anything, seem to be good at that atm

/*Edit
Ah, i missed the quote on post 2..my bad? urg back to work i guess :P sorry to cause disruption
Edit */

tigerplug
January 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
... well, not entirely true, but I cannot deny the fact that I've been influenced. (Though I guess my 5 am job has helped.) Anyway, I've gone from disliking coffee, to being indefferent, to feeling like drinking it every time I boot Ubuntu, to actually enjoying the bitter black beverage.

What's with the coffee theme here, anyway? Now that I think of it, a coffee brand named Ubuntu just sounds awesome, hehe. I'd buy it.

Ubuntu ---- > Kinda like fairtrade tea

Now theres an idea ;)

erykroom
January 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
coffe and cigarettes

ARhere
January 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
When the same question "mount NTFS" gets asked over and over, then the subject is true for me, minus the last word!

Ubuntuforums made me start drinking...

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

tigerplug
January 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
coffe and cigarettes

Can't beat it at 3AM with a Dual Core Laptop sitting infront of you and an open terminal. :)

AbtZ
January 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ah, i missed the quote on post 2..my bad? urg back to work i guess :P sorry to cause disruption
Don't worry. I was just amazed how someone could miss the second post in a thread, lol :)

erykroom
January 14th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Today I'm out of sugar. I have to drink my coffe with honey

Presto123
January 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Only on occasion do I like cream and/or sugar. RARE. I don't connect it with geekdom as much as Redbull or other energy drinks (Our IT guy drinks a crapload of redbull).

I grew up with it because it calmed me down when I was young (hyperactive). I take that over Ritalin any day. It really has no real effect on me now, unless I have a really strong dose at one time. It seems to quickly metabolize in my body, so a cup at a time makes no difference. I think I average about a 1/2 to full pot a day with no jitters. :P

Why I went into this whole lot, I don't really know.

JR Tyner
January 16th, 2008, 03:30 AM

It's said that you could stick a spoon in my Great Grandpa Tyner's coffee and it wouldn't touch the side of the mug.

When offered regular coffee, he would say "I don't want any of that root water.".

Pethegreat
January 16th, 2008, 04:16 AM
you know what they say: 6-8 cup's of coffee a day, keeps the doctor away
One guy I work with is like that with the free coffee. One day he complained of chest pains.

Why bother with coffee? Get pure caffeine, which is extremly bitter in pure powder.

Lostincyberspace
January 16th, 2008, 04:27 AM
They sell little caffeine shots that you could put in any thing.

AbtZ
January 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Which is a lot more dangerous than coffee. Stay away from it -- stick to coffee.

nikoPSK
January 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
It does things to me... :p

Lord Illidan
January 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Redbull's crap. Expensive crap. I took it once or twice, makes you hyper for an hour, then I go to sleep.

Coffee..is a slow burning fire, never goes out.

Sam
January 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I can't drink coffee (allergic), but I am addicted to DR. PEPPER (4-6 liters a day).

o_O

havoc_joe
January 19th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I didn't used to like coffee as a kid, but somewhere through college I finally saw the light. Now, I don't go a single day without getting a cup.

I think it's an adult drink in many respects, at least for me. It was something that I grew into. It's a lot better than soda health-wise for me, so I have no regrets. :)