PDA

View Full Version : Valusoft Office Suite 2007 at Walmart

JacobRogers
January 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I was at walmart and in the office section there was something called "Office Suite 2007" made by valusoft for $20.00 American. The box for it didn't say very much but it said something about sun microsystems on it. I was wondering if "Office Suite 2007" is based on Open Office or something like that. I could barely find anything about this product online but I did find this page:

Office Suite 2007 (http://www.valusoft.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=valusoft&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=75761100)

Have you ever heard of or seen this? Do you think it's based on Open Office. I think it's cool that it's in the stores.

lisati
January 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Well, "open office" is based on a product from Sun Microsystems - this could be another offshoot

sumguy231
January 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Odd, I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere other than that page. I just hope it's not as terrible as almost everything else THQ publishes.

Edit: They call those things screenshots?

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Edit: They call those things screenshots?

I was thinking the same...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_office_suites It is didn't make the list.

ugm6hr
January 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
There are other similar examples. This looks like something else that is presumably OpenOffice-based...
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126060

Techwiz
January 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Never heard of it.

popch
January 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
They call those things screenshots?

There's one (1) screenshot, in the top left sample. Looks more like a shot of Firefox than some office suite to me.

rowanparker
January 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
If they are OO based then shouldn't they have to release the source somewhere?
And yeah, most awful screenshots. A google image search didn't yield any results either.

bobpaul
April 14th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Sun StarOffice is OpenOffice with some extras. I realize StarOffice is the product that was used as the starting point for OpenOffice, but since StarOffice is a superset of OpenOffice, I believe it is considered a derivative.

So if StarOffice is a derivative that contains closed source code (grammar check and whatever else) then may be legal ways for others to branch off as well.

I see OpenOffice is licensed under the LGPL. Maybe there's a dual license in effect for StarOffice?

swoll1980
April 14th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Thq single handedly destroyed the credibility of the nintendo entertainment system

calc
April 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Sun StarOffice is OpenOffice with some extras. I realize StarOffice is the product that was used as the starting point for OpenOffice, but since StarOffice is a superset of OpenOffice, I believe it is considered a derivative.

So if StarOffice is a derivative that contains closed source code (grammar check and whatever else) then may be legal ways for others to branch off as well.

I see OpenOffice is licensed under the LGPL. Maybe there's a dual license in effect for StarOffice?

Sun requires copyright assignment for anything contributed to main OpenOffice.org codebase so that they can release StarOffice under a different license. Other companies are not allowed to do this since they don't own the copyright to OpenOffice.org. So third parties selling a derivative of OpenOffice.org would have to provide source to customers who bought copies of software from them if requested (aiui). Or at least object code for their changes that can be relinked with the openoffice.org code. See LGPL license for details.