PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent clients for the future!

Centx
January 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
With Bittorrent being as popular as it is, it's inevitable that new clients spring to life now and then, and I for one would like to know what alternatives (new ones that is) there is.

I have found some that I believe have some real potential (I shurely have missed someone though:KS).

And here they are, in random order, plus a little of what their "owners" have to say about them:

bitswash (http://www.bitswash.org/) - wxwidgets
"Bitswash is a bittorrent client built on crossplatform library wxWidgets, libtorrent and boost library. It supports multiple torrent downloading, automatic queue management, protocol encryption, peer exchange, upnp, natpmp, lsd, and IP and file filtering. "www.bitswash.org (http://www.bitswash.org/)

linkage (http://code.google.com/p/linkage/) - GTK
"Linkage is a BitTorrent client written in C++ using gtkmm and libtorrent.
Linkage is a lightweight client, it includes most common features found in other BitTorrent clients. And also some unique feature..."code.google.com/p/linkage/ (http://code.google.com/p/linkage/)

qbittorrent (http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/) - QT4
"The qBittorrent project was created in March 2006 with the idea of developping a new Bittorrent client for Linux (and possibly other systems) that would be easy to use, good looking, featureful but lightweight."qbittorrent.sourceforge.net (http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/)

torrentflux-b4rt (http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/) - Web
"Torrentflux-b4rt was originally based on the TorrentFlux BitTorrent controller written by Qrome, although has recently undergone a major rewrite to allow transparent integration with a number of transfer clients and protocols."tf-b4rt.berlios.de (http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/)

btg (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/btg/) - GUI(gktmm), CLI and web
"Linux bittorrent client implemented in C++ and using the libtorrent library. Provides both ncurses and gtkmm gui, which communicate with a common backend running the actual bittorrent operation."developer.berlios.de/projects/btg/ (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/btg/)

So, what do you think? do you see any of these as major clients in the years to come?

Sockerdrickan
January 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I think Transmission will continue to gain market share :P

rabid9797
January 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM

this man speaks the truth

dannyboy79
January 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
well, most private trackers won't just let you use ANY client. With that said, I use Bittornado in linux as well as windows. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how do I get it to shut down after it seeds back 100%.

Enginirical
January 3rd, 2008, 02:28 AM
I've been using qBittorrent, people seem to keep ignoring it, but it's AWESOME, best client used so far.

Itś not overcomplicated, it just works, and itś fast and doesnt infringe on performance of other applications. It has directory scanning with automated download of torrents inside so no manual jumping around torrent sites. It has 5 major search engines pre-installed with loads of plugins available to expand this. (yes it's Qt4, but so what? isn't that the most ridiculous reason not to choose a client, it works this well? It looks good enough if you a clever with your colour settings)

Definitely worth checking out, here is a blog that compares it against other torrent clients:

http://tuxoblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Reviews

bobbocanfly
January 3rd, 2008, 02:33 AM
well, most private trackers won't just let you use ANY client. With that said, I use Bittornado in linux as well as windows. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how do I get it to shut down after it seeds back 100%.

A lot of the private trackers i am on only allow uTorrent 1.7.5 which thankfully works in Wine.

Mateo
January 3rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Linkage sounds interesting, but i'm going through a frustrating case of dependency-hell trying to get it to install. I've installed at least 20 packages, mostly -devs, and it's still not working. i installed about 10 for Linkage, but then had to install libtorrent from source as well (because the repo version is not new enough), and have been going through dependency-hell with it too.

I can handle errors during ./configure, but errors during make are almost impossible to figure out for non-programmers.

lunke
January 3rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
4 of the listed clients are essentially the same (linkage, qbittorrent, bitswash, btg and as well as deluge), at least they use the same backend, namely http://libtorrent.org :)

Transmission is a great lightweight alternative.

@Mateo: mail the errors you get while building to linkage's google group and I'll try to help you out. Other than that comments/suggestions are always welcome.

I primarily use Fedora so help with building .debs for linkage would be appriciated ;)

zolero
January 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I've had the same problems with building Linkage from source on Gutsy and these were the problems encountered even when i've tryed out the SVN-way.
Afther these tryed out a litle dirty workaround: using other distros' RPMs converted to deb. Bad luck... :sad: but i've found that Fedora packages were built against libboost-date-time.so.2 and company...
OK. What now? I've grabbed some Boost RPMs providing that, converted and installed them. Another problem: this is vers. 1.33.1; thus need to downgrade from Gutsy's 1.34.1 grrr... But some other Gutsy's packages depends on this version, thus i need them. Bad luck again... dependencies and conflicts! :mad:
This issue was solved by rebuilding debs obtained from alien conversion to installing themselves in /usr/local and changed packages name to libboost-old to avoid conflicts. Well done... now version conflicts were figured out. :)=D> ( If anyone need them just ask for ;) ) Don't worry: other problems coming...
From this point i was able to compile Linkage, but when i tryed out the package client won't start at all! Very weird... it seems to be something with GTK an DBus, but i can't figure out them. Below i post the terminal outputs with the error messages which i've got. Please help. Thanks in advance for yor kindness.

Configure command used to build linkage-0.1.4

root@asustopi:~/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4# ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-static=yes --with-curl=yes --with-gupnp=yes --with-gnome=yes --with-gnu-ld=yes --with-pic=yes --with-dbus-cpp=yes --with-upnp=yes --with-ssl=yes --with-notify-gtk2=yes --with-rb-libtorrent=yes --without-exo

First build attempts' compiling errors (figured out from now):

root@asustopi:~/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4# make

libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so -lXext -lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so -lz -lfontconfig -lpng12 -lXrender -lX11 -lXfixes -ltorrent -ldbus-glib-1 -ldbus-1 -lgconfmm-2.6 /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib/libsigc-2.0.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lrt /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libboost_date_time.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/libtorrent.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libboost_filesystem.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/libtorrent.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libboost_thread.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/libtorrent.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
TorrentCreator.o: In function `TorrentCreator::add_files(libtorrent::torrent_inf o&, Glib::ustring const&, Glib::ustring const&)':
/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4/src/TorrentCreator.cc:218: undefined reference to `libtorrent::torrent_info::add_file(boost::filesys tem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, boost::filesystem::path_traits>, long long)'
TorrentCreator.o: In function `file_pool':
/usr/include/libtorrent/file_pool.hpp:67: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::mutex()'
TorrentCreator.o: In function `TorrentCreator::on_button_save()':
/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4/src/TorrentCreator.cc:156: undefined reference to `libtorrent::storage::storage(libtorrent::torrent_ info const&, boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, boost::filesystem::path_traits> const&, libtorrent::file_pool&)'
TorrentCreator.o: In function `~file_pool':
/usr/include/libtorrent/file_pool.hpp:66: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::~mutex()'
/usr/include/libtorrent/file_pool.hpp:66: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::~mutex()'
UI.o: In function `boost::date_time::month_formatter<boost::gregorian::greg_month, boost::date_time::simple_format<char>, char>::format_month(boost::gregorian::greg_month const&, std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)':
/usr/include/boost/date_time/date_formatting.hpp:44: undefined reference to `boost::gregorian::greg_month::as_short_string() const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::is_complete() const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::no_check(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::create_directory(boost::filesy stem::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::detail::condition_impl::condition_impl()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::thread::thread(boost::function0<void, std::allocator<boost::function_base> > const&)'
/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4/lib/.libs/liblinkage-1.so: undefined reference to `libtorrent::torrent_handle::move_storage(boost::f ilesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, boost::filesystem::path_traits> const&) const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::path(char const*)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::operator<(boost::filesystem::path const&) const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::path(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::rename(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::filesystem::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::default_name_check(bool (*)(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&))'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::complete(boost::filesystem::pa th const&, boost::filesystem::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::detail::condition_impl::do_wait(pthread_mu tex_t*)'
/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4/lib/.libs/liblinkage-1.so: undefined reference to `libtorrent::session::add_torrent(libtorrent::torr ent_info const&, boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, boost::filesystem::path_traits> const&, libtorrent::entry const&, bool, int)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::thread::join()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::file_size(boost::filesystem::p ath const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::thread::~thread()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::do_unlock()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::iterator::increment()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::begin() const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::do_lock()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::has_branch_path() const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::branch_path() const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::lock_error::~lock_error()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::recursive_mutex::do_unlock()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::default_name_check_writa ble()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::create_directories(boost::file system::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for boost::lock_error'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::is_directory(boost::filesystem ::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::recursive_mutex::recursive_mutex()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::last_write_time(boost::filesys tem::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::do_unlock(boost::mutex::cv_state&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::native_file_string() const'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::mutex::do_lock(boost::mutex::cv_state&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::recursive_mutex::~recursive_mutex()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::initial_path()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::detail::condition_impl::notify_all()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::detail::condition_impl::notify_one()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::lock_error::lock_error()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::operator/=(boost::filesystem::path const&)'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::detail::condition_impl::~condition_impl()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::recursive_mutex::do_lock()'
/usr/lib/libtorrent.so: undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::exists(boost::filesystem::path const&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [linkage] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2
root@asustopi:~/linkage-0.1.4-4.fc8.src/linkage-0.1.4#

Now the errors when trying launch in terminal:

root@asustopi:~/Worker/Linkage# linkage

(linkage:17273): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

** (linkage:17273): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
process 17273: arguments to dbus_connection_get_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 5551.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
process 17273: arguments to dbus_connection_set_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 5515.

** ERROR **: Not enough memory to set up DBusConnection for use with GLib
aborting...
root@asustopi:~/Worker/Linkage#

The second error screen:

root@asustopi:~/Worker/Linkage# linkage

(linkage:17623): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

** (linkage:17623): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
process 17623: arguments to dbus_connection_get_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 5551.
process 17623: arguments to dbus_connection_set_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 5515.

** ERROR **: Not enough memory to set up DBusConnection for use with GLib
aborting...
root@asustopi:~/Worker/Linkage#

And finally the third one:

root@asustopi:~# linkage

(linkage:5683): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_resize: assertion `width > 0' failed
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Glib::FileError'
aborting...
shooter@asustopi:~#

Edit: Excuse my bad english. I'm not english native... If this is an off please admins to move it to the right place. I haven't offing intention. Thanks.

Quillz
January 27th, 2008, 09:03 PM
The thing is, as many clients as there are, we already have "winners" of sort. On Windows, the best is uTorrent. On the Mac, Transmission is becoming the strongest client. And on Linux, we have Azureus and Transmission.

Polygon
January 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM
dont forget deluge, deluge is becoming highly popular, especially on linux. It also has mac and windows ports.

~LoKe
January 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
rTorrent. I don't understand the need for such a complex GUI which will just cause someone to screw something up.

koleoptero
January 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I use deluge and I think it's the best choice at the moment. Transmission also worked perfectly but I couldn't get it to stop seeding after reaching a certain ratio.

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM
all i want is a native utorrent, no other that i have found beats it. sorry but ktorrent or deluge just don't cut it. :(

inversekinetix
January 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM
uTorrent 1.6.1 is by far the best client I have used. fast, feature packed, highly customizable.

ynnhoj
January 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
rTorrent. I don't understand the need for such a complex GUI which will just cause someone to screw something up.
i'll say! rtorrent does all i need it to and it's nice and simple.

bruce89
January 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM

Due to this:

ubuntu-meta (1.87) hardy; urgency=low

* Refreshed dependencies
[...]
* Added transmission-gtk to desktop-recommends-i386, desktop-
recommends-amd64, desktop-recommends-powerpc, desktop-recommends-
ia64, desktop-recommends-sparc, desktop-recommends-hppa, desktop-
recommends-lpia
[...]
* Removed gnome-btdownload from desktop-i386, desktop-amd64, desktop-
powerpc, desktop-ia64, desktop-sparc, desktop-hppa, desktop-lpia
[...]

-- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:30:14 +0100

Polygon
January 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
finally. took them long enough to get rid of that crappy gnome torrent download program, which was really bad for trackers as once it finished, you closed it and you never seeded back what you dled.

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
all i want is a native utorrent, no other that i have found beats it. sorry but ktorrent or deluge just don't cut it. :(

utorrent ia by far the best i ever used but im big fan of deluge and azureus, i wouldnt say they dont cut it, i just like utorrents very simple GUI

but as long as we're on linux ill stay with deluge until it gives me problems then i goto azureus ((although since i upgraded deluge it works just fine again))

graabein
January 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
uTorrent and foobar2000 are the only programs I miss from Windows (OK maybe Photoshop and Visual Studio also). I used to have Azureus on Ubuntu but it was such a hog on my dated hardware so I've recently switched to Deluge and I think it's great.

I don't know about the seeding stuff on Deluge... I'd like to use labels and seed certain torrents because of stupid ratio regulations where I get ballgames.

Polygon
January 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
i tried transmission, and had to compile it myself as the getdeb deb didnt work (couldent choose where to save a file), and after i added a torrent, it wouldent connect to any peers. I tried the same torrent in deluge and got like 10 seeders and 4 peers and was downloading at 100 kb/s

oh well.

ezphilosophy
January 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have been using ktorrent for quite some time. I haven't found anything it can't do. I tried deluge based on others advice, but I think in no way it stacks up to ktorrent.

It might be interesting to see a table of different torrent clients and show a comparison to what they can and cannot do. Does something like this already exist?

qbittorrent does look nice. I will give it a try. Thanks Centx for info.

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
It might be interesting to see a table of different torrent clients and show a comparison to what they can and cannot do. Does something like this already exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client

:popcorn:

ezphilosophy
January 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks bufsabre66. I guess I was talking about a table with even more comparisons. For example, ktorrent has an option to move completed downloads to another folder. So, I have a folder named "unfinished" and another named "finished". Just a little more organized. :) Nevertheless, that table does a pretty good job. (although I live in China and have to use answers.com) http://www.answers.com/BitTorrent_client

Sockerdrickan
January 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Due to this:

ubuntu-meta (1.87) hardy; urgency=low

* Refreshed dependencies
[...]
* Added transmission-gtk to desktop-recommends-i386, desktop-
recommends-amd64, desktop-recommends-powerpc, desktop-recommends-
ia64, desktop-recommends-sparc, desktop-recommends-hppa, desktop-
recommends-lpia
[...]
* Removed gnome-btdownload from desktop-i386, desktop-amd64, desktop-
powerpc, desktop-ia64, desktop-sparc, desktop-hppa, desktop-lpia
[...]

-- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:30:14 +0100

I saw this too in a daily build yay :lolflag:

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
maybe its just me but transmission has the ugliest gui ever

i think they should of gone with deluge, but then again my favorte tracker recently blocked alot of clients and deluge is one the list

zekopeko
January 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks bufsabre66. I guess I was talking about a table with even more comparisons. For example, ktorrent has an option to move completed downloads to another folder. So, I have a folder named "unfinished" and another named "finished". Just a little more organized. :) Nevertheless, that table does a pretty good job. (although I live in China and have to use answers.com) http://www.answers.com/BitTorrent_client

deluge those that. with a plugin that's part of the base system. the next version (0.6) is going to have a backend + frontend design meaning: a whole lot of GUI's for it ie. gnome gui, kde gui , CLI gui , webgui etc.