PDA

View Full Version : most embarassing Ubuntu problem

jobsonandrew
January 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
whats the most stupid or embarassing thing you've done or asked about involving Ubuntu?

I once thought my VGA out wasnt working on my laptop, spent 4 hours fiddling with xorg.conf only to discover that the cable wasnt plugged in correctly. (seriously)

I also spent ages installing ubuntu on a machine with 2 hard drives, one of which was ntfs... then discovered that you cant write to ntfs partitions in ubuntu.. poor research on my part!

stoodleysnow
January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I learn from more mistakes than I can remember.:lolflag:

OffHand
January 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I removed my whole /home. Was interesting to see what happened though :lolflag:

Centx
January 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I once made myself a 40 GB swap space, and was wondering why my computer sometimes slowed down... :lolflag:

No linux-savvy's around though, so noone got to laugh at me

nickburns
January 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
changed my whole system:

chmod 644 -R (forgot file / folder name here)

broke lots of stuff.

sports fan Matt
January 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Mine is still goling on, just havent figured it out yet..Seems like Opera is locked cause when I start it, it says there is a lock in the opera folder and when I removed that, it still will not boot up..Not understanding why its such a problem, more of an annoyance

Scarath
January 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
within the first few weeks of using linux i did the classic 'nuts to r00t, make me the owner of every file on the whole computer!' mistake :D

gn2
January 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Tried to install Ubuntu using Norton Boot Magic and managed to wipe my hard drive clean.

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Mine is still goling on, just havent figured it out yet..Seems like Opera is locked cause when I start it, it says there is a lock in the opera folder and when I removed that, it still will not boot up..Not understanding why its such a problem, more of an annoyance

What version of Opera? If you deleted .opera you deleted all your personal settings (I hope you don't rely on Wand to remember your passwords like me)

In your case (if you wiped everything that is unique), you could just reinstall.

Dr Small
January 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
What version of Opera? If you deleted .opera you deleted all your personal settings (I hope you don't rely on Wand to remember your passwords like me)

In your case (if you wiped everything that is unique), you could just reinstall.
I always make a password file with all of my passwords in it (plain text) and then gpg encrypt it ;)

opus_az
January 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well, lately I've found the answer to my question just minutes after posting a question on the forum, even after googling for hours, sometimes days. Hate when that happens.

Poor poor pitiful me. :-({|=

stalker145
January 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
I went through my home directory (shortly after first beginning Linux use) and deleted all those pesky (dot) files and directories... you know, like .bashrc, .gnome, and the likes... yeah, i cleaned up some file space, but...

Then there was a few nights ago. I was extremely liquored up and tinkering with a 166 tower that I acquired (don't drink and hack, kids) and got pissed at the computer... sooo, I invoked the command that shall not be named just to see what would happen.

It didn't run so well after that :D

odiseo77
January 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Back when I was new to linux, like 4 years ago, I started using SuSE (9.2, I think); I was using a dial-up connection, so, since I couldn't figure out how to use kppp as user, I always logged in to kde as root, connected to the internet using kppp as root, and did the usual stuff as root (from the GUI, I mean) ...some months later, I realized I could use kppp as user; I only had to set it up...

Oh, and one friend of mine who has been using linux for about 4 years, got a new nvidia graphics card some months ago and he had to configure his X server again. Well, the guy simply saw something on the internet saying to remove the xserver-xorg package and he executed the command blindly and he got his linux installation all messed up (obviously)... I couldn't believe it :-?

Centx
January 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I went through my home directory (shortly after first beginning Linux use) and deleted all those pesky (dot) files and directories... you know, like .bashrc, .gnome, and the likes... yeah, i cleaned up some file space, but...

Then there was a few nights ago. I was extremely liquored up and tinkering with a 166 tower that I acquired (don't drink and hack, kids) and got pissed at the computer... sooo, I invoked the command that shall not be named just to see what would happen.

It didn't run so well after that :D

I did that command on purpose on one of my test-boxes just to see what happened (totally sober), it was really interesting!

$rm -rf /
deleting /etc... [blah blah]
command rm not found...
[uuummmm]
$cd /
command cd was not found...
$shutdown -r now
command shutdown was not found...

had to do a hard reboot =)

picpak
January 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Here's a dumb one. I made a Stylish script (http://userstyles.org/styles/4641) that hides the list of currently active users on this forum...but all you have to do is hit the minus sign to the right of the list.

Tristam Green
January 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I also spent ages installing ubuntu on a machine with 2 hard drives, one of which was ntfs... then discovered that you cant write to ntfs partitions in ubuntu.. poor research on my part!

how long ago was this? i have vista and ubuntu dual-boot and i save all the ISOs I download (while on Ubuntu) to the NTFS side.