PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Business.

xArv3nx
January 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
How would I go about doing this?

I want to start selling computers with a modified version of Ubuntu preinstalled. I have no funding, I'm 15, and I have no idea where to begin.

Help?

(This is what i want to do in life, so please take this seriously)

Sockerdrickan
January 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Have you ever built a computer from scratch?
And I would get some education first :)

jeffus_il
January 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Is there a demand for computers with preinstalled Ubuntu, in your part of the world? What edge will you have on other computer sellers? Why would customers prefer to come to you rather than go to others? Will you localize Ubuntu supplying it ready in a local language? Will your machines be optimized for speed, or will they be more stable than the competitors? Do you have enough money to invest for the initial purchase of computers, and a place to store them. How will you let your potential customers know that you are in business and waiting to do a deal with them? Can you promise service after you have made a sale? ...

I want to start selling computers with a modified version of Ubuntu preinstalled. I have no funding, I'm 15, and I have no idea where to begin.

Help?

az
January 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM

Help?

If you are asking about how the licensing affects a 3rd-party vendor, the answer is you can do what you want, so long as you do not change the licensing terms. That means that you can't take Ubuntu and change it into something without distributing the changed software under the terms of the GPL - which obliges you to distribute the source code as well. If you just stick an unmodified Ubuntu on the machines, you don't have to do anything, the Ubuntu repositories already provide the source code to users who want it.

That being said, there is no profit margin in computer sales. Unless you plan on distributing millions of boxes every day (like Dell), then you will not be able to compete. I would suggest another career.

hockey97
January 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
what part of the world are you in?? I mean country wise.

if your in U.S.A then I would say you need more education before starting a business.

becuse you have to have a good understand in financial subjects. and plua what ever your selling you have to be on a top noch level meaning haning with the pros.
if I was you I would plan mostly to start selling computers on the internet have a website and just do shipping it's alot cheaper that way then starting a business then doing ti from home or having a store or shop.

If this is what you want to do in life then I advise you to take some courses in accounting or at least some financial classes. Also take some courses on computer repair. It helps in a long run. I also suggest you to try and work at a computer shop just to learn the ropes on how they deal with people and just how they operate.

you said you don't have any funding you need to have funds to start a business raise some money.

you need to pay for computer parts to sell a computer with an OS even if the OS is free.

that's my advice if you live in the U.S If you in another country then ingnore my advice becuse it really depends where you are at and how your country runs.

Techwiz
January 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
I think that is a great idea! Provided that you can build a system quickly (just saying this because it took me quite awhile for me to build my computer.) I don't have any advice for you besides trying to get some money to start with (parents, friends...)

jeffus_il
January 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hey, young guy, don't let us scare you off, You have a great idea and sound full of energy and raring to go. You can't loose, I just posed lots of scary questions to get you thinking before you dive in at the deep end. GOOD LUCK.

Linuxratty
January 3rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Is there a local computer shop you could go to? perhaps the staff would be willing to let you volunteer a couple days a week to learn the ropes.

daynah
January 3rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
(deleted)

smartboyathome
January 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
I want to start a store around here that sells computers optimized for different distros (ubuntu would be my main seller, but I wouldn't object to using other distros). I know my education should come first, though, so I am not going to worry much about it until I graduate from high school and have a grip on my life in college.

Pethegreat
January 3rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
The only legal problems would come from the sales tax. I am not sure how it exactly works, but you can find out with some wikipedia-ing.

The first thing is lean how to build computers properly and fix software issues. The first one I built took me about 3 hours. I then cooked the motherboard with a PCI-e connector in place of the 12v ATX . I took my time trying to figure out what was wrong. Now the 2nd time I built a computer was different. I had it all together in an hour. I spent another hour testing the ram and installing Ubuntu.

Your best bet it to built computers for your friends and family. They will be more likely to buy from you than a person off the street. You will gain the experience you need to try to make a buck at it.

Lostincyberspace
January 3rd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Only about 2 hours in most states of the USA. The rest of the planning though can take a long time. I'm going on 2 years now here in running an developing a business plan.

Lostincyberspace
January 3rd, 2008, 05:50 AM
It took you a whole hour i had mine don in 20 minutes even taking all the pegs for the mobo from another case!

DarkOx
January 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
The only legal problems would come from the sales tax. I am not sure how it exactly works, but you can find out with some wikipedia-ing.

I've no idea how it would work in other jurisdictions, but I can say how it would work in Canada. The OP didn't mention where he was from, so it might apply (and if not, the tax systems in other nations are probably rather similar).

6% GST is collected on the sales price of all items, federally. This amount is held by the business and will be remitted to the Canadian Revenue Agency. Using an input tax credit, this amount may be offset by the amount of GST the company paid to it's suppliers (so, if you bought a $50 component for a computer, and paid $3 of GST on it, you can deduct $3 from the amount you owe the CRA).

Sales tax laws will vary by province or state. Similarly to GST, as a business you will collect the tax and then pass it on to the revenue agency. However, there may not be an input tax credit available to use like GST.

Finally, income tax probably won't be an issue, unless you incorporate -- and at this early stage, I don't see why you would. As a sole proprietor (or a partnership, if you get someone to help), the income from your business is considered personal income, and will be taxed the same as a salary.

The first thing to think about is acquiring some knowledge about computers and business -- so when you apply for college explore subjects like business, computer science or management information systems. In the meantime, tinker. See if you can take a computer apart and put it together again, see if you can package and modify a distro, etc.

When it comes time to actually start the business, think first about marketing. Who's your target market? Who are you selling to? What is the competition like? How are you priced in relation to them? What kind of unique selling proposition are you offering, if any? Once you figure out those, you can begin to figure out how to produce and deliver your product.

hockey97
January 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM

The first thing is lean how to build computers properly and fix software issues. The first one I built took me about 3 hours. I then cooked the motherboard with a PCI-e connector in place of the 12v ATX . I took my time trying to figure out what was wrong. Now the 2nd time I built a computer was different. I had it all together in an hour. I spent another hour testing the ram and installing Ubuntu.

Your best bet it to built computers for your friends and family. They will be more likely to buy from you than a person off the street. You will gain the experience you need to try to make a buck at it.

Pethegreat I see your form PA U.S.A

that is not the only legal problem.

I am right now taking accounting and I plan to start my own business.

just in one semster just 12 chapters had alot of stuff based on situation.

he really needs money to start.

In the U.S he has to do book keeping mainly has to record how much he sold his computers and how much he bought and at what price.

and has to declare his method of salesmenship.

fifo or lifo or average.

fifo= first one in is first one out.

lifo = last one in first one out

average you mainly sell the average amount.

he has to declare that to the IRS when he starts his business.

becuse if he dosne't have will get a big fine and also may go to prison.
becuse it they calim your playing fruad.

the reason becuse if you keep switching between fifo and lifo you will make a huge profit after you do the formula you will see a big different.

so if he has no money at all and get's money just enough to pay for a couple of computers he will need to still book it by a certified accountant.
he can do it himself but mistakes can kill ya.

I mainly say advise him to work at a local shop make money on the side save up and find way's to invest or any way to raise more money.

so you can afford to run a business right.

their is alot of cost that go on.
if you have employees or plan to have some you need to be insured so if somthing happens to your employee you can cover them.
like mainly being robbed or the person got hurt on the job.
their is liabilites on your part and in the U.S you can use ignorance of the law as a excuse.

Their is alot to running a shop. if you plan to buy a shop you have to get the city to inspect it. and renting is also kinda expensive in the long run good for getting start I guess.

but I mainly would just work at a local shop save money and sell them on ebay or somthing.

and do that for a while hope fully you can raise some $$ to start a business.

their is no way you can start a business without any $$.
Not even on the internet.

and if you really think running a shop is easy then mainly everyone would do the same.

not to discourage you . It's just alot of work. I am mainly right now looking for a job and it's hard where I live.

just take it in steps it will take you a while to get up and running you just have to figure out the over all stuff you have to do to be legal ect.

and not violate the laws and have money.

I personaly wouldn't start a business with out learning accounting or a finacial isubject. Becuse it really gives you an over all picture of how your business is doing and what you can predict on up coming sales.

learning some accounting would help. Becuse you must know how to read ledgers and your book keepings so you don't lose money it's very easy to lose your shirt if you don't have any know how in the accounting world.

that's just my suggestion.

my fav saying is that : their is alway's more than what meets the eye.

that mainly means what ever you see touch in store or business their is alot of stuff that you don't see that goes on behind the scenes on how it was made and published and how it get's on that shelf.

just keep at it and you may some day open such a store or make a business. just takes patience

curuxz
January 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Seems everyone here is looking at him getting a chartered company and incorperating.

If he wants to sole trade its relitively simply, least here in the UK and I asume the USA too. Just let the tax office know what you wana do, write everything you do do down and you should be fine.

Business plans are great but normally only needed when you need investment. I have been running my own business since just under 15 (now just about to turn 21) and while its very difficult until your 18, and can enforce contracts, it is possible to do hardware repair on the side and make some really good money for your age.

I would not knock anyone who wants to make a serious go at a business at a young age, I know it did me the world of good, looks great on my CV and now I'm a good few years in I have a good solid business (Still soletrading for my main company but I also have a couple of partnerships I am invested in).

Good luck :)