PDA

View Full Version : parents and ubuntu

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Okay since my parents windows xp computer was hacked into with "hacktool" i was finally thinking about switching them over to ubuntu or kubuntu or xubuntu. They run about the same kind of machine as i run nvidia 7950 single core 2.51 ghz 2gb of ram 250gb hardrive. the quest really is they use like mircosoft open office but i know a replace meant for that(thunderbird or evolution) but the main thing i am wordy about is photoshop for them. My dads work requires to use adobe indesign for the work that he does and i was wondering if there is a replace meant for that. Also they use turbo tax to do taxes and what not and is there a place meant for that. Also for the cannon printer i was hoping they wouldnt half to spend any extra money on turbo print or what ever it is called. If yall can please give me some ideas and some fead back about what i should do Thanks.

Cheers
Fedex

mouseboyx
January 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Turbo tax currently does not work on wine and most of adobes products don't either. But the gimp is a great alternative to photo shop.

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 05:37 AM
Well is there any alternatives for those programs well they actually still use cs2 >_< cs3 is still a little to much. I herd that cs2 runs perfectly on wine. Also there is probley some other stuff they they use i can give more feed back tomorrow probley

jken146
January 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
It sounds to me like they'd have an easier life in Windows. Sad, I know, but until Adobe make apps for Linux or free the source code, there's not an awful lot you can do for a prefessional working with their products. By all means, give Ubuntu a shot. Don't let me get you down!

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
YEah that sort of makes me mad well is there a linux solution on secruiing the net work? and everything that comes in and out

arashiko28
January 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Well then go the easy way. Give them the chance to prove Ubuntu and allow your dad to work. Install some VM like VMWare or Virtualbox, there are a lot around there. That way, your dad can work with the photoshop and still be a lot safer than on windows. And install ClamAv, that will help you, or Panda, this one blocks the attempts of in filtering. I have a pretty good experience on Panda, since 3 years ago, I don't know what on earth is a virus, hack, worm, nor anything like that on Windows.

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
K. The funny thing is at work they use red hat servers but they use windows machines on there works laptop(not the one installing ubuntu onto) but on the desktops. Also my mom uses that computer and she is o so not good with computers ecept read email surf the web and turn it on and off lol. but i will keep looking in what else that linux migh have an alternertive for.

seachnasaigh
January 2nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
The GIMP handles most photoshop stuff very well ... lots of professional designers prefer it. There's a learning curve, sure, but it's not insurmountable.

TurboTax ... doesn't Intuit (the company that makes that) have a web version of TT out there now? Seems to me they were working on a beta of it during US TY 2000; should be well done by now. I'd look into that.

Thunderbird makes a nice switch from Outlook, as long as you're not on an Exchange Server. If you're just POP'ing a mail server or using IMAP, it should be an easy transition. If they're already using the ******* version of OOo, the switch to any flavour of Linux should be a snap.

Good luck mate ... I'd give it a whirl!

cheers ...

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Should i dual boot it for them at first or should i do a clean isntall of everything. My other question is there anyway that i can run there windows partition in a Virtual machine?

stmiller
January 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
There are some technical reasons why some need Photoshop. GIMP cannot handle 16bit images, and also cannot do other CMYK specifics for printing like Photoshop and InDesign. :-/

Scribus is always an option. But if it's for company work, I agree they may need win-blows. :(

Felix-the-Cat
January 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
For the programs that they need to run like photoshop or turbotax look into crossover office. Yeah it does cost but it is reasonably priced (less than windows) and works much more nicely than wine alone.

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
yeah sort of for a magor company. Well is there away that i could secure the network so like something like that doesnt happen again on there windows machine. Like acpt certian ips and like it goes to a certian computer and the connection either has to be acpte dor it is declined.

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
i will try out crossover for them i will probley re post some new programs that they use and see if there is any more alterntives

seachnasaigh
January 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I'd go with the virtual machine option rather than dual-boot. Ubuntu has a nice vm client in the repos; personally I like VMWare, but it's not free. Takes a little practise to get the hang of setting up IP chaining between the two, but well worth it. <caveat> You need a licensed copy of ******* to install to the VM ... not a recovery disk (most don't work in partition or VM's</caveat>

cheers!

stoodleysnow
January 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sorry, fedex, but that spelling and grammar needs work.

amadeus266
January 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Better solution: Let them have their windows but install a cheap linux based computer between their box and the interenet to act as a gateway/firewall and allow only what communications are necessary for your dad to get his work done. You can push for them to switch but getting a professional who is used to a certain program to switch may not be easy.

Dixon Bainbridge
January 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'd go the virtualbox route. One of the best bits of kit I've ever used. Before I went back to dual booting (for gaming reasons only),I ran all my adobe stuff via VB. Worked a treat.

mridkash
January 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
+1 for virtual box. You have 2 gb of RAM, more than enough.
windows runs on my parents pc on virtualbox which has only 512 megs, that too ddr1.

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Sorry, fedex, but that spelling and grammar needs work.

sorry i am dislex so please dont comment on my spelling thanks
there computer has 2gb same as mine so it should run perfect.

Crinos512
January 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
for a photoshop alternate, look into Gimpshop (http://www.gimpshop.com/)

evil316
January 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
There are a million turbo tax like sites on the web, use one of them. Besides, I think you can do turbo tax online as well.

dasunst3r
January 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
If your parents strongly dislike Windows and Linux isn't the best solution, remember that Mac OSX has a pretty solid foundation as well in terms of security. :) In your Dad's case, the premium is probably worth it.

fedex1993
January 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
i think i am going to either do a virtual machine or use cross over but i think i am going to get a second box to i can show him and what not and see what he thinks

stoodleysnow
January 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM
i think i am going to either do a virtual machine or use cross over but i think i am going to get a second box to i can show him and what not and see what he thinks

Good idea

Kingsley
January 8th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Or you can keep it simple, and just reinstall Windows for them. This time don't forget the antivirus and a good firewall.

fedex1993
January 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
they have good antivirus and a good firewall but i got kde setup with them and they like it alot so it was a sucessful