PDA

View Full Version : can i use visual basic in ubuntu

residentevil
January 1st, 2008, 11:38 PM
hi, I have to use visual basic 6.0 not visual basic dot net so mono is not a possibility. The bad news are that i have to use visual basic for 2 years or more, it is long story, but i hate to switch to windows to use visual studio 6.0 and i really want to find a way to emulate or something else....
sry for my bad english, i'm from bulgaria

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 02:20 AM
See the stickies, VB is addressed.

If you have to use Windows language or programs, Windows is the best OS for your requirements. You can always use more than OS, so you aren't restricted.

Kadrus
January 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
You could try installing Virtual Machine...it runs an Operating System inside The operating system..so you can run Windows inside Ubuntu..and you can use Visual Basic...Good Luck :)

DavidBell
January 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
According to winehq.org, VB6 will run under WINE. My guess is that some controls/ocx's won't work, particularly hardware related ones. Still it's owrth trying. DB

pmasiar
January 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I have to use visual basic 6.0 not visual basic dot net so mono is not a possibility.

I prefer Linux but in situation like yours I would recommend to use Windows. Don't fight it, go with the flow to avoid all kinds of compatibility issues. And double boot to learn Python so in your next job you can use something better than in current one.

Hint: Python runs on Windows too :-)

residentevil
January 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
You could try installing Virtual Machine...it runs an Operating System inside The operating system..so you can run Windows inside Ubuntu..and you can use Visual Basic...Good Luck :)

I'm thinking for that possiblity, too.
I have been runing a virtual machine under windows it was program called vmware or something close.
and how i can run a virtual machine in linux ?

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I have been runing a virtual machine under windows it was program called vmware or something close.

You can use vmware (you were correct), but I would (and do) use VirtualBox.

Kadrus
January 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
First of all download it :
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Windows-and-VirtualBox-equals-Power-in-Your-Hands-48173.shtml
See this guide on how to install it
Good luck:)...hope this helped :)

residentevil
January 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
ok, it is pretty close to vmware, i thing it will be no problems with it :)
and i still have one question. How i can use files, that are storing in my hard drive?
example
i have file in /media/sda5/project/pcChemistry/pcChemistry.vbp and how i can use it in this virtual machine

Kadrus
January 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
ok, it is pretty close to vmware, i thing it will be no problems with it :)
and i still have one question. How i can use files, that are storing in my hard drive?
example
i have file in /media/sda5/project/pcChemistry/pcChemistry.vbp and how i can use it in this virtual machine
In the virtual machine you run an os normally..that means..that you see windows inside Ubuntu...and you can everything normally just like Windows...so it won't be a problem..good luck :)