PDA

View Full Version : If you could have any type of Ubuntu...

EnergySamus
January 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hello!
Now that I am starting to get to know Ubuntu, I want to ask the community a question. If you could create any type of the Ubuntu OS, what would it be? For example: Gambuntu, a Ubuntu for gamers!

Feel free to post anything... Let your imagination fly!

EnergySamus

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
FunctionalBuntu - Ubuntu that works!

But I already have it.

aysiu
January 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
IceBuntu, because I could never get into Fluxbox.

Lord DarkPat
January 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
Ubuntu Mactel edition. Installing on Macs is so problematic

LaRoza
January 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ubuntu SE

-grubby
January 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM

well I would've said fluxbuntu but it already exists!

mmb1
January 1st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Goobuntu, though I suppose they already did that with gOS...

Dr Small
January 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
+1
I agree!

Hmm. I have the Ubuntu CLI... Maybe we could make an IceBuntu :)

SomeGuyDude
January 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
GamBuntu sounds like a great idea, actually.

MediaBuntu with the best video/audio/image editing software available.

jgrabham
January 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Slightly-less-idiotic-commands-buntu

I loath it when it says things like
The program 'apt-get' is not currently installed. You can install it by typing: apt-get install apt - you just think WHAT!!!

Or this morning; new graphics card in, get past GRUB and... no signal display on monitor, wait a bit (about 5 mins) then restart, go into recovery mode, I typed
xrandr - nothing. OK
startx I get a message telling me that there are no screens. Then how the bloody hell am I reading it then. :confused: Oh well, I couldnt be bothered to argue, its a job for another day, Ill just use xp tonight. :mad:

hessiess
January 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
blendbuntu, ubuntu with blender

oldb0y
January 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ubuntu...
Plain and simple, just the way I like it:)

EnergySamus
January 1st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Gameidaubuntu: A ubuntu for multimedia AND games!!!
Oh yeah, thank you SomeGuyDude for saying that my idea is good!:lolflag:

EnergySamus

FuturePilot
January 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
GLbuntu

-Ubuntu that's based around all that compositing goodness and 3D accelerated graphics. Or maybe that should be Compizbuntu. :)

gn2
January 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM
GUI-Tool-For-Configuring-Everything-Works-Perfectly-With-All-Hardware-Even-Runs-All-Games-Buntu

lyceum
January 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Wubuntu (wOO-bun-tOO) or Webuntu (web-OOn-tOO)

Web developer's Ubuntu. It would have programs like Bluefish and Aptana by default and GIMP would have all the extensions pre-installed. Blender would be there for 3D and Inkscape and Xara for svg. It would come with PDF how-to's for all the programs. It may need a sound editor for web sounds, but I do not know which one. There should also be a hexadecimal color wheel program. It would also not be brown.

:guitar:

bobbocanfly
January 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Wubuntu (wOO-bun-tOO) or Webuntu (web-OOn-tOO)

Web developer's Ubuntu. It would have programs like Bluefish and Aptana by default and GIMP would have all the extensions pre-installed. Blender would be there for 3D and Inkscape and Xara for svg. It would come with PDF how-to's for all the programs. It may need a sound editor for web sounds, but I do not know which one. There should also be a hexadecimal color wheel program. It would also not be brown.

:guitar:

Dont forget multiple pre-installed browsers, with web developing extensions already installed.

bmathis
January 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
I would like to see a thinbuntu. A thin install with nothing but thin client protocols to connect to MS terminal services, Citrix, NX, and VNC servers. I could really use something like this for my consulting company instead of having to piece together something or supplying a quote for MS thin clients.

stinger30au
January 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
i would have the Super Duper ,ultra deluxe, expanded , updated, mega huge, giant, really big, amazingly brilliant, one of a kind, super rare, never seen before, never to be repeated, Ubuntu all in one. it would be about 60 dvds long and when you install it , it would have gnome,kde etc and every single bit of software known to man on it including the ubuntu studio stuff as well

Sporkman
January 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
Qubuntu - Ubuntu for quantum computers

GothBuntu - Ubuntu for goths

LimpBuntu - Ubuntu for those with E.D.

QuackBuntu - Ubuntu for homeopathy practitioners

YargBuntu - Ubuntu for Pirate enthusiasts

SneezeBuntu - Ubuntu for those with colds or allergies

XLbuntu - Ubuntu for plus-sized users

bmathis
January 1st, 2008, 11:38 PM
LimpBuntu - Ubuntu for those with E.D

funny :lolflag:

blithen
[QUOTE=LaRoza;4053335]Ubuntu SE[/QUOTE
SE == Satanic Edition?
xD

gn2
I would like to see a thinbuntu. A thin install with nothing but thin client protocols to connect to MS terminal services, Citrix, NX, and VNC servers. I could really use something like this for my consulting company instead of having to piece together something or supplying a quote for MS thin clients.

Have you seen this: http://www.linutop.com/ ?

Bruce M.
January 2nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Chipbuntu1 and Chipbuntu2

They come in all flavours previously mentioned as well as the ever popular version: Ubuntu

Chipbuntu1 c/w swap area
Pull the CPU out of your motherboard, plug in Chipbuntu1, plug the CPU back in on top of Chipbuntu1.

Chipbuntu2 c/w swap area
Pull the CPU and throw (or give) it away, Chipbuntu2 is your new CPU and OS all in one!

And they're both EPROMs too, so you can burn new versions into it.

Add an UbunBoard with 120G Memory (or bubble memory) and do away with HD's.

sudo wake-up -you're dreaming
Bruce :lolflag:

urukrama
January 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM

That'd be like Ubuntu Studio (http://ubuntustudio.org/).

I'd like to have an Ubuntu Urukrama Edition ;-)

I'd like to create my own custom install cd. I don't use Gnome or KDE, and the other versions of Ubuntu (Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu) come with a load of applications I don't use (Abiword, Rox-filer, Gnumeric, etc.). I like a lightweight window manager/desktop environment (Openbox, Pekwm, and occasionally Xfce at the moment), but use plenty of 'heavy' applications that lighter versions of any distro don't carry (OpenOffice, Opera, etc.). Having my own install cd would make the install procedure a lot easier. I know it is possible, but I haven't tried to do so yet. The documentation for applications that allow you to do this type of thing is a bit over my head.

Nekiruhs
January 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
DevBuntu- Ubuntu with all the tools required for software development. VMs (Python, Ruby, Perl, Java, the works), build-essentials, a couple good text editors, Glade (A GUI designer), and a ton of libraries and bindings (OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, etc..) all would be installed. And documentation for as much as possible.

Hey, I can dream can't I?

el_ricardo
January 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
intellibuntu - a linux based brain replacement that thinks for you

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
Ubuntu SE
SE == Satanic Edition?
xD

Yes. On the Ubuntu SE forum I said I was going to make a Live CD with Ubuntu SE, but the developer got back and said he was going to do it when the art was done.

Sporkman
January 2nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
StinkBuntu - Ubuntu for the sanitation industry

bmathis
January 2nd, 2008, 04:04 AM
Have you seen this: http://www.linutop.com/ ?
Yeah, the only issue with that is the USB thumb drive that must be plugged in. I would like one thats installed to a 4GB media card and contains everything you need for terminal service/remote connectivity (you wouldnt need any room for storage since most of the apps youll be using will be on the TS server).

dlegend
January 2nd, 2008, 04:37 AM

They do have Ubuntu Studio which tries to achieve this.

But as for the question... hmmm... Gambuntu sounds like it'd be great.. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Maybe SecuriBuntu? Based on security / firewall aspects of things. Would be installed for the sole purpose of making a machine into a firewall/router.

gn2
January 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, the only issue with that is the USB thumb drive that must be plugged in.

Superglue it in! :lolflag:

hakimaki
January 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
PhotoBuntu

Ubuntu for photographers

Nunu
January 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
DSBuntu almost like DSLinux but ubuntu flavoured :)

Kingsley
January 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Pharmbuntu - Ubuntu for legal "drug dealers" :D

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
How about <snip />

How about, not.

lyceum
January 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
Dont forget multiple pre-installed browsers, with web developing extensions already installed.

Good Call!!!

:popcorn:

markharding557
January 3rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
i would like an ubuntu that's like mint but not with mint menus with thunderbird instead of evolution and with a default blue theme

picpak
January 3rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Workable-Eye-Candy-Ubuntu: An Ubuntu with Compiz-like eye candy for people who can't run Compiz!

Darkhack
January 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I would like a website that lets me create my own Linux distribution. I go to this website and go through a series of questions asking me what I want along with a checkbox for different kinds of applications. They'd have like a Browsers category for example where I can check off a list of browsers I want included. Same thing with a DE/WM and themes. I could select my hardware so I would have a custom kernel optimized for me, and maybe even have a settings dialog on this website where I enter certain configuration information (like say wireless device info) so as soon as I boot the CD, it connects to my encrypted wireless without needing to configure it inside the OS. Then it generates an ISO on the spot for me to download.

Sporkman
January 3rd, 2008, 03:32 AM
I would like a website that lets me create my own Linux distribution. I go to this website and go through a series of questions asking me what I want along with a checkbox for different kinds of applications. They'd have like a Browsers category for example where I can check off a list of browsers I want included. Same thing with a DE/WM and themes. I could select my hardware so I would have a custom kernel optimized for me, and maybe even have a settings dialog on this website where I enter certain configuration information (like say wireless device info) so as soon as I boot the CD, it connects to my encrypted wireless without needing to configure it inside the OS. Then it generates an ISO on the spot for me to download.

:o

Now you're talking...

...but then again, it's pretty ambitious... I don't think anybody here would want to take on such a formidable challenge...

<..whistles, strolls away...>

tdrusk
January 3rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
StinkBuntu - Ubuntu for the sanitation industry

brown theme would apply.

I like my Xubuntu thankyouverymuch.

Bruce M.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
:o

Now you're talking...

+1 ... to that! A really nice dre... idea!

...but then again, it's pretty ambitious... I don't think anybody here would want to take on such a formidable challenge...

Well, I would if I could,
But I can't :( so I won't.

<..whistles, strolls away...>

:-\" and strolling away with Sporkman!

snickers295
January 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hello!
Now that I am starting to get to know Ubuntu, I want to ask the community a question. If you could create any type of the Ubuntu OS, what would it be? For example: Gambuntu, a Ubuntu for gamers!

Feel free to post anything... Let your imagination fly!

EnergySamus
gambuntu would be good.
it could have wine and good graphics and sound support.
and maybe it cost money that way you could get cedega with it.

picpak
January 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM

Generating 700MB ISOs for each user? That'd eat up bandwidth pretty fast, wouldn't it?

Cavalryman
January 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'd like to have Medbuntu with a built-in electronic medical record system, billiing software, etc. Now that would rock! :guitar:

Cavalryman
January 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Generating 700MB ISOs for each user? That'd eat up bandwidth pretty fast, wouldn't it?

Nah, you could have it mailed out. I'll bet people would pay $5-$10 for the service. I certainly would.

snickers295
January 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
DevBuntu- Ubuntu with all the tools required for software development. VMs (Python, Ruby, Perl, Java, the works), build-essentials, a couple good text editors, Glade (A GUI designer), and a ton of libraries and bindings (OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, etc..) all would be installed. And documentation for as much as possible.

Hey, I can dream can't I?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656325
me and some other people are talking about that

kamaboko
January 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hmm...how about T&A Ubuntu?

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Special sauce lettuce cheese on a sesame seed ubuntu.

Sporkman
January 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Hmm...how about T&A Ubuntu?

Hmm - Tools & Advice, not a bad idea! :)

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
CinnamonBuntu

snickers295
January 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Special sauce lettuce cheese on a sesame seed ubuntu.
lol my dad says something like.
instead of ubuntu server, ubuserver.

tdrusk
January 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
lol my dad says something like.
instead of ubuntu server, ubuserver.

my dad says

"that linux ****"

snickers295
January 4th, 2008, 02:21 AM
my dad says

"that linux ****"
lol.
he will change his mind when winblows (no, i meant to spell that) starts forcing you to pay a subscription fee for windows.

barbedsaber
January 4th, 2008, 02:35 AM
How about no-evolotion-thunderbird-instead-bunutu.
because eveytime you try and configure evolotion, a kitten dies.

Arkaniad
January 4th, 2008, 02:35 AM

MaWindostosUbuntu, Compatibility with any an every file and program and reliable, more reliable than anything in the world, and could run on any system perfectly, without any fail whatsoever, and it just works, and the world uses it forever. (And bash gives you donuts and tells you what to do)

INFINITE PENGUIN POWER!

Arkaniad
January 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
oh and mediaubuntu is availible, its just named different.

snickers295
January 4th, 2008, 02:42 AM
MaWindostosUbuntu, Compatibility with any an every file and program and reliable, more reliable than anything in the world, and could run on any system perfectly, without any fail whatsoever, and it just works, and the world uses it forever. (And bash gives you donuts and tells you what to do)

INFINITE PENGUIN POWER!
Perfectbuntu

Darkhack
January 5th, 2008, 01:00 AM

I'd worry more about the storage space for storing the ISOs and the processing power needed to generate them than the bandwidth part. It was meant to be a dream more so than a practical solution.

Bruce M.
January 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM
lol.
he will change his mind when winblows (no, i meant to spell that) starts forcing you to pay a subscription fee for windows.

You know, I can almost see that happening.
Glad to be here now.

Paqman
January 5th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Megajapanesebattlerobotbuntu - Like regular Ubuntu, but with massive hydraulic legs and a jetpack. Rarg!

allforcarrie
January 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM
winbuntu, its ubuntu that supports windows apps nativly.

ispy
January 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I already can have any kind of Ubuntu. It's open source. :lolflag:

snickers295
January 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I already can have any kind of Ubuntu. It's open source. :lolflag:
Ya, your right!

dmitrijledkov
January 8th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'd love to have true GoogleUbuntu, or perfected gOS. Waiting 6 hours for new release =D

inversekinetix
January 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Playbuntu, one that plays all the games I want it to play, properly, without any fuss. It would also be nice to have it do some things as easily as in other OSs

Espreon
January 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Bloodbuntu - Ubuntu for people who like bleeding edge software, it would have a repos with SVN,CVS,Bzr and GIT versions of software, the oldest being 1 month old...

EnergySamus
January 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM
WinBuntu was a good idea allforcarrie!
I just can't wait for Hardy Heron

BackwardsDown
January 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
FireBuntu

A distro that can *only* run firefox. It would start up super fast and then you can browse about instantaniously (for checking your mail in the mornings and stuff). I know there are bios programs that can do that but I'm searching for something I can install on my harddrive.

For now reactOS seems very quick, only its very very very unstable:( .

brunovecchi
January 16th, 2008, 01:01 AM
mm I could use something like Scienbuntu? Ubuntu highly packed with math, engineering, chemistry and biology applications. Maybe there's something like that around already!
I liked the Devbuntu idea.

EnergySamus
January 16th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Dude, there is a Scibuntu!:lolflag:

http://scibuntu.sourceforge.net/

Check it out!

EnergySamus

brunovecchi
January 16th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Dude, there is a Scibuntu!:lolflag:

http://scibuntu.sourceforge.net/

Check it out!

EnergySamus

:lolflag: I had it coming! I checked it out, turns out I already installed all those apps by hand... they pre-packaged Emacs, and I use vim! that was pretty much the only difference!

Thanks!

Linuxratty
January 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Nothingcanever gowrong Ubuntu.

And I mean nothing...

bufsabre666
January 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM
everyEXEworksbuntu

Sedivy 94
January 17th, 2008, 04:02 AM
I would have mad Flybuntu. It would have a custon, whole new, revolutionary desktop environment (almost looks like eyeOS) with an intergrated (hidden) DOS engine to run windows applications if needed. The DOS engine would be almost "meshed" with ubuntu's supreme kernel and super grub.

________ ________
______( )______
___ ___

(logo would look like a pilot badge with "ubuntu circle" replacing the center).

Releases:

1. Neebly Nuns (Still baby birds - falling off the nest)
2. Gliding Geese (First takeoff - improved system files)
3. Clearview (Best GUI and interface so far)
4. Hefty Hark (Getting close to most improved)
5. Areo Angel (final release - or atleast the most improved)

Arkaniad
January 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
XP998ME2KSTABuntu, with support for any and all windows programs:guitar:

like Visual Express