PDA

View Full Version : Dell ignores Ubuntu

Linuxratty
January 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
I just got a booklet from Dell..Guess I'm on their mailing list forever..
Anyway,they had lots of machines for sale...Not ONCE was ubuntu mentioned...Althought there was a picture of what looked like Gnome on a desktop, but under it it said VISTA!

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
o_O
Dell ships Ubuntu and Fedora PC's, surely that's not "ignoring" Ubuntu. Perhaps the "booklet" is just outdated?

some_random_noob
January 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
You have to remember that Dell is only interested in profits. Their job is to sell computers, not to sell computers with Ubuntu on them. Dell is already happy with the Windows market. Profiting off Ubuntu works to some extent, but selling Ubuntu-PCs brings in issues, as Dell relies heavily on Microsoft. It's easier for them to continue on with the Windows market.

As everyone here knows, there is obviously "some" sort of market for Ubuntu-PCs; Dell is already trying to cash in on it. Their objective is to make a few extra dollars, not to phase out Windows-PCs. But due to consumer demand, things are going to change - don't expect it to happen overnight though.

DoctorMO
January 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
It boils down to ego I reckon; Michael got annoyed at Bill for jacking up the price of OEM windows by double, given that Microsoft already knew the profits were razor thin. Michael then pushes Ubuntu as an alternative, if ubuntu catches on then Dell will lead the market, if it doesn't then at least it'll put the wind up Microsoft and cause chair sales to double in Redmond.

lyceum
January 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
You have to remember that Dell is only interested in profits. Their job is to sell computers, not to sell computers with Ubuntu on them. Dell is already happy with the Windows market. Profiting off Ubuntu works to some extent, but selling Ubuntu-PCs brings in issues, as Dell relies heavily on Microsoft. It's easier for them to continue on with the Windows market.

As everyone here knows, there is obviously "some" sort of market for Ubuntu-PCs; Dell is already trying to cash in on it. Their objective is to make a few extra dollars, not to phase out Windows-PCs. But due to consumer demand, things are going to change - don't expect it to happen overnight though.

True, and it makes sense. It is just too bad for them that they only put Ubuntu on their low end PC's. I need a better laptop than they offer, so I am buying a Macbook Pro to put Ubuntu on. Their loss.

jrusso2
January 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Dell seems to be finally getting it together by offering the Nvidia drivers installed now along with LinDVD and modem drivers.

This should make for a much better out of box experience for users.

Hopefully Dell will realize that some of the more advanced windows users might like to try linux and promote it more.

gn2
January 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Anyway,they had lots of machines for sale...Not ONCE was ubuntu mentioned...

What country are you in?

Dell doesn't do Linux in all countries.

zipperback
January 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Anyway,they had lots of machines for sale...Not ONCE was ubuntu mentioned...Althought there was a picture of what looked like Gnome on a desktop, but under it it said VISTA!

They sell machines and support them with Ubuntu preinstalled on them.

For example....
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

And also...

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I'd like to also point out that they are using Ubuntu Linux Gutsy 7,10

- zipperback
:popcorn:

w7kmc
January 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Dell may be under marketing Ubuntu a tad, but so are other manufacturers that do both Linux and MS. The market just is not quite ready for Linux. But as long as MS keeps putting out products like Vista, and Mac's remain expensive, the niche for Linux will only get bigger.

BreathEasy
January 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Dell figures their Ubuntu systems are only appealing to a niche sector, so that's why they aren't marketed as widespread as other systems. You have to know they exist before you can purchase them basically. Dell currently do not see the Ubuntu machines as alternatives for "normal" people just yet.

Linuxratty
January 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
What country are you in?

Dell doesn't do Linux in all countries.

The USA...And this was one of those after-Xmas promotions..

gn2
January 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
The USA...And this was one of those after-Xmas promotions..

In that case they're definitely slacking!

some_random_noob
January 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
True, and it makes sense. It is just too bad for them that they only put Ubuntu on their low end PC's.

Yes, but that's the whole idea of Ubuntu isn't it? To have a low-spec option which runs on cheap hardware? What is the benefit of putting Ubuntu on a high-spec computer? Maybe it would be good for gaming and photo editing, but other than that I can't see the point :confused:

gn2
January 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
What is the benefit of putting Ubuntu on a high-spec computer?

Because you wouldn't want to run a bad OS on a good computer?

I use Zenwalk on an old P3 laptop and Xubuntu 7.10 64-bit on a Core 2 Duo desktop, purely because that's what suits me best.

I prefer Linux to Windows and today I removed Xp Home from the C2D desktop because it wasn't getting used and was a waste of space.

dlegend
January 2nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
Because you wouldn't want to run a bad OS on a good computer?

I use Zenwalk on an old P3 laptop and Xubuntu 7.10 64-bit on a Core 2 Duo desktop, purely because that's what suits me best.

I prefer Linux to Windows and today I removed Xp Home from the C2D desktop because it wasn't getting used and was a waste of space.

Also because you can't do stuff like virtualization as well on low spec machines. Having a high-spec machine running linux just gives you tons of more possibilities in terms of what you can do with your machine. Just think -- running multiple vms on separate sides of the desktop cube on a quad-core PC!

user1397
January 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM
o_O
Dell ships Ubuntu and Fedora PC's, surely that's not "ignoring" Ubuntu. Perhaps the "booklet" is just outdated?dell ships fedora PCs ? When did that happen? I thought they only sold SLED, Red Hat, and Ubuntu systems?

some_random_noob
January 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Also because you can't do stuff like virtualization as well on low spec machines. Having a high-spec machine running linux just gives you tons of more possibilities in terms of what you can do with your machine.

True. I guess it would also be nicely future-proofed (Provided you have more than $2000nzd spending money at the time of purchase, otherwise most people would opt for something cheap which they can afford immediately ;) ).

lyceum
January 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
Yes, but that's the whole idea of Ubuntu isn't it? To have a low-spec option which runs on cheap hardware? What is the benefit of putting Ubuntu on a high-spec computer? Maybe it would be good for gaming and photo editing, but other than that I can't see the point :confused:

As a web designer I do photo editing and other art. Anyway, is it a crime to want a good OS on a good PC or Laptop? Ubuntu CAN run on a low-spec PC, that doesn't mean it HAS to.

:popcorn:

ÜbuntuMensch
January 3rd, 2008, 03:52 AM
I was just at the Dell website. It states quite clearly (on every page):

Dell recommends Windows Vista® Home Premium.

Yes, Ubuntu is available, but...

Dell recommends Windows Vista® Home Premium.