PDA

View Full Version : hey all.

miscast
January 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM
hey,

I am a new member so just a clichéd hi thread. Just to make it more interesting here are a few facts about me:

+ I /don't/ hate windows!
+ I am a coder for an investment bank using .net
+ I want to get involved in open source development, thinking about joining the python project
+ I am interested in algorithms... sad!
+ I want to get to know linux well, I'm a beginner but learn fast.

Anyway... I am pretty much stunned by ubuntu (am using it on my laptop), I didn't think linux was this good these days.

:-)

Lorenzo

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome!

LaRoza
January 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
+ I want to get involved in open source development, thinking about joining the python project

Anyway... I am pretty much stunned by ubuntu (am using it on my laptop), I didn't think linux was this good these days.

Lorenzo

+ No body is perfect :)
+ Cool, see the programm and development forums. You might be able to spread coding knowledge/learn about Linux programming
+ Cool, Python requires heavy duty C knowledge. See the Programming Talk forum
+ I too, I started a thread on them, but it didn't go very far (it got fixated on my original example)
+ You'll learn fast :)

It is very good, in fact, I see people wanting XP, Mac OSX or Ubuntu on new computers.

miscast
January 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
+ No body is perfect :)
+ Cool, see the programm and development forums. You might be able to spread coding knowledge/learn about Linux programming
+ Cool, Python requires heavy duty C knowledge. See the Programming Talk forum
+ I too, I started a thread on them, but it didn't go very far (it got fixated on my original example)
+ You'll learn fast :)

It is very good, in fact, I see people wanting XP, Mac OSX or Ubuntu on new computers.

I will certainly be paying a visit to the dev forums :-)
I know C ok, my job is in C# so the general syntax is something I do day-to-day, but obviously CPython code is considerably lower-level, so LOOOOADS to learn :-).

Well algos are fascinating... am trying to plough through introduction to algorithms, 2nd edition, and want to one day read art of computer programming :-) a dream :-)

btw I'm already getting stuck in... fixed a problem then linked to it (seems loads of other people have this issue...) - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4052475#post4052475

blithen
January 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of linux.
Glad to have ya' on board.
Hope you enjoy your time! :popcorn:

mmb1
January 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hello, and welcome to the community!

Peyton
January 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Since you're a C# guy, be sure to check out Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page).

keeper of the wheel
January 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Welcome aboard!
I hope you find all that you are looking for within the confines of this great resource for Ubuntu!

ryanVickers
January 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
hey,

I am a new member so just a clichéd hi thread. Just to make it more interesting here are a few facts about me:

Lorenzo

I like how you properly use the accent in "clichéd", but yet...

make bullets out of pluses (+) instead of the actual bullets
use // instead of actual italic ;)

miscast
January 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
I like how you properly use the accent in "clichéd", but yet...

make bullets out of pluses (+) instead of the actual bullets
use // instead of actual italic ;)

Haha pedantic, but I like it... too used to using vim I'm afraid! You're lucky there wasn't a :w in there ;-)

miscast
January 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Since you're a C# guy, be sure to check out Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page).

Already had a butchers... am definitely interested. Currently experimenting with it.
I see there's a plug-in for eclipse so nice to have an ide to play with.

ryanVickers
January 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Haha pedantic, but I like it... too used to using vim I'm afraid! You're lucky there wasn't a :w in there ;-)

yeah, it's good to know these tricks if you have to do a lot of plain text work :p

Arwen
January 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Welcome and happy new year,may the source code be with you ;-)
:)