PDA

View Full Version : Who's never used Windows on their computer?

2cute4u
January 1st, 2008, 04:13 AM
I'm proud to say I've Never used Microsoft window on any computer that Ive owned, and the most I've ever done with Windows is browse the web from someone else's comptuter.

On the other hand I've seen alot of posters who write from the point odf view that assumes that everyone using LInux swtched from windows, and that pisses me off. SO I decided to create this thread and see how many people will go on the record as "Windows Virgins", who don't use Windows as the frame of reference for everything.

nikoPSK
January 1st, 2008, 04:31 AM
it doesn't really matter. I have had windows and linux on at all times (up till 4 months ago) using vmware... so ya.

steveneddy
January 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM
My 22 yr old daughter has never owned a PC with windows on it. when we did hers, we installed PC Linux OS. Her choice. We had 2000 Pro and XP Pro to choose from at the time, also.

She now prefers PC Linux OS over Ubuntu.

:popcorn:

I have never had Windows installed on my laptop. first for me, I guess.

BTW - there is no installed windows in our home.

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
Proof that people only say Windows is better/easier because of their conditioning. They're used to Windows, and some cynics aren't willing to give Linux a shot, or when they do, they're of such a negative opinion that they find reasons to say it sucks.

-grubby
January 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
well most people assume that they come from windows because most users do, and it's not like it's a crime to use windows.

Sef
January 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
I have one I built that never will have Windows on it. Two others have had Windows written over in favor of GNU/Linux.

kevdog
January 1st, 2008, 04:45 AM
My seven year old niece who only uses the computer to go to webkinz.com managed to figure out how to go to my Ubuntu computer, start firefox, and browse to that site. I asked her if she thought anything was different on the computer, and she said "NO".

I later showed her the compiz cube and multiple desktops. She thought that was very cool. She later went to my Windows Vista Computer and asked me to do the cube thing. I told her I couldnt since the OS was different. She had no idea what I was talking about. All I know is that she went back to the Ubuntu laptop to show her friend the "cube".

Its funny how kids interact with computers. They dont seem to be bothered by change since they have no reference to compare.

picpak
January 1st, 2008, 04:51 AM
Nope! I bought this computer with Ubuntu and my dad is planning to do the same.

Dr Small
January 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM
This system and hard drive here, has never seen the likes of Windows :D
Of course, my old system came preinstalled with it, but I don't buy computers anymore.... I make them :)

Dr small

slimdog360
January 1st, 2008, 04:54 AM
on my current computer, no I haven't.

kerry_s
January 1st, 2008, 05:03 AM
i don't think i could ever say that, i help people with there computers no matter what they use, to tie yourself down to only 1 os no matter what it is, is just not me. i use what ever i can get my hands on no matter what it is, i try and remember how to use all of them and when i get rusty i'll got back to it to freshen up. i'm currently freshing up on winxp now. :)

Pethegreat
January 1st, 2008, 05:29 AM
This computer I am on never has ran windows. I tried to install it once from a copied disc, but it did not work thankfully.

I finally got flash working on this thing, and thus my need for windows has been eliminated.

I will still use windows if someone needs their fixed. I won't strand someone just because they are not using Linux.

cenTrea
January 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
I have switched to Linux, but I also install Virtualbox in order to run a Windows guest. I have no choice: most friends still work with Windows and in this way I can easily help them when they are in trouble.

metalpancake
January 1st, 2008, 06:14 AM
My laptop is currently dual booting gutsy with xp, but I hardly use windows.
My sister's computer is running Gutsy and nothing else. she used to run xp, but thatt got trashed by viruses and she went to Ubuntu. She loves it so much she doesn't want xp anymore, so that's the way it stayed!:)

bonzodog
January 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Nope, I built this computer myself with the express purpose of running Linux on it, and that is all it ever has done. My wife's laptop came with vista pre-installed, which I ran for 6 hours to see what it looked like (curiosity, you know?), then wiped vista off and installed Ubuntu on it.
My last system also never had windows on it.
Personally, apart from playing around with others machines with windows on them, I haven't used windows since win98se, and find Slackware Linux easier to use and install than windows.

happysmileman
January 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
My wife's laptop came with vista pre-installed, which I ran for 6 hours to see what it looked like (curiosity, you know?), then wiped vista off and installed Ubuntu on it.

Did she have a say in this?

oldos2er
January 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
With one exception (a poorly considered impulse to buy an eMachine about 10 yrs. ago), I haven't bought or owned a DOS/Win computer since 1993. I used OS/2 exclusively from then until just this past summer.

Presto123
January 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
I wish I had never, but, I still have ******* on my laptop. My desktop is pure Ubu bliss. :)

Since I dual-boot on my laptop, I haven't used Win in I guess, two to three weeks. If I do, it's just for Office 2007 or to troubleshoot something.

Otherwise, Ubuntu can run any of my other college schoolwork without a sweat.

kenweill
January 2nd, 2008, 04:44 AM
Everytime a new release of Ubuntu came out, I always switch to Ubuntu but always come back to Windows.

Im an Internet Cafe owner and its just the most applications i need/or customers need runs on windows only.

The most apps needed are:
1. Yahoo Messenger(with voice chat and webcam support)
2. MSN(with voice chat and webcam support)
3. Skype(ubuntu runs skype, though, i haven't tested it)
4. Online Games(MU Online(private), RAN Online, etc.) -This one doesn't run on Linux.
5. MS Office(customers prefer it, especially students)

I have tried using CrossOver Pro to no avail.
Yahoo Messenger, MSN wont run in CrossOver.
MS Office works fine, but got a problem with printing documents. MS docs created in windows changes when being opened in MS office in Linux(using Crossover).
Online Games, don't actually run. Before, under Ubuntu 6.10, it works fine. But on newer versions, it won't.

Ocxic
January 2nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
I have never used windows on my main computer, other then the 2 cdrom drives nothing else has seen windows. yay

sefs
January 2nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
Just remember heterogeneous / diversity is always a good thing. Trouble will arise from homogeneous knowledge, systems ind due time. So don't be shy. Mix it up.

hydramatic
January 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've always used windows on my computers, I run a dual-boot now.. I'm just trying to merge ubuntu to my main OS but I still use windows for a lot of things.

swaroop_cool21
January 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
:guitar:UBUNTU Rocks

there are 2 ways of computing---

the sluglish way(windows)
& the fast power way(LINUX)

i love power way..........

wat abt you

mobileking
January 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
currently i don't have windows in ma system too ! bcz ! i have deleted the Viruses [including Windows]:lolflag:

Nezing
January 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I know I will probably get into trouble for this.But have a look at this link.I spilled my coffee all over my jeans.Damn:

http://www.mslinux.org/

Er...dont bother about the site links....they dont work....!!!

:lolflag:

Praadur
January 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I used to dual-boot into Windows primarily for the gaming, and I never really felt good about that because I've always felt that OS to be a bit of an offense, at least to the machine poor enough to have to run it.

Lately though, gaming has gone downhill on the PC and things have become overly generic; Two Worlds, the Witcher, Oblivion, and so on had nothing on the likes of Vampire: TM Bloodlines, the first Gothic, the Fallout series, Neverwinter Nights, et cetera. I feel really that the reason PC gaming has gone down the tubes is in part because of Vista, and gaming companies just don't know who to support.

I've told this tale before but I'm more than happy to tell it again: My latest laptop is 'buntu-only and has been since I bought it. These days, my primary PC gaming enjoyment comes from older games (such as the aforementioned, one of which I'm currently playing), indie games (which wine seems to have no trouble at all running, and even if it does then often the next version of it handles said article fine), and Free games. Aside from that, I have a PS3 which serves as my mainstream gaming outlet, as it seems to have some stuff that's unmatched by other platforms (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank, et al).

I've now got the OS I've always wanted, one that I control in ways that I never could with Windows, one that feels perfectly tailored and clean. I'm quite pleased by this and by the fact that Windows will never have to touch another of my machines. I'm also hoping that when mainstream PC develoeprs pull themselves out of this stagnative rut they've gotten themselves stuck in, they'll start supporting Linux too, as that might just be the way the wind is blowing these days.

Babbage
January 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I built my own computer and put Ubuntu on it. Mainly it's because having dual-booted it on my other Windows PC I liked Ubuntu, and also because I didn't want to shell out about €100 to put Windows XP on my computer. So I'm proud to say this computer has never had Windows on it! :) Instead I packed it with maximum memory, decent hard drive and a good graphics card. That's another thing I love about Linux, I get value from my hardware, with brilliant super fast performance.

2cute4u
January 13th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Well I'm really dispapointed to seem that in all the replys, I'm the only one who hasn't used windows. :(

I was really hoping to get aunch of people proclaiming they haven't been contaninated by the dark side.

Xzallion
January 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Well I'm really disappointed to see that in all the replies, I'm the only one who hasn't used windows. :(

I was really hoping to get a bunch of people proclaiming they haven't been contaminated by the dark side.

It is the most common OS out in the wild, and few people build their computers which means it either came with OSX or Windows on it. I'm surprised theres even one person on here that has never used windows.

Now whats this thing about being "contaminated by the dark side?" Seriously, using windows is not wrong or evil. I'm happy that your happy with Linux, but your sounding like a zealot proclaiming all things MS are evil.

cybergal
January 13th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I qualify! :)

My first desktop, "Baby Blue", was an IBM PS/1 running IBM-DOS, no Windows, but did come with MS's word processor which I didn't like and removed and replaced with WordPerfect.

Second desktop, "Pandora", is an emachines which came with Windows 98se. Removed and replaced with Mandrake 7.1

First laptop, "Princess", is a Compaq Armada 1571 DM, which I bought used with Windows 98se installed. Replaced with Debian 3.0.

Current laptop, "ASCII gal", a Toshiba Satellite, came with Vista which was removed and replaced with Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

The last three computers were delivered to and configured for me by a Linux friend before I took possession of them.

wana10
January 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
the computer i'm posting from has been straight ubuntu from when i built it to now. my laptop has been straight winxp sp2 from purchase to now. i like both computers equally and unlike some users i've seen on the forum have never had a problem with windows, i (and i probably should say this) like windows...just as much as i like ubuntu. one is a nice sirloin steak and the other a rib steak.

corn13read
January 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Proof that people only say Windows is better/easier because of their conditioning. They're used to Windows, and some cynics aren't willing to give Linux a shot, or when they do, they're of such a negative opinion that they find reasons to say it sucks.

I would also like to point out that there are some windows programs that still aren't rivaled in linux. Photoshop, Publisher, Quickbooks, Lightroom, powerpoint... personally These are all examples of programs that keep people from moving to linux.

perlluver
January 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
The only program keeping my wife from moving is Publisher. She has XP on her computer and it is slower than molasses. Mine is straight Ubuntu.

wana10
January 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I would also like to point out that there are some windows programs that still aren't rivaled in linux. Photoshop, Publisher, Quickbooks, Lightroom, powerpoint... personally These are all examples of programs that keep people from moving to linux.

my largest crutch right now is vectoring and drawing...i just can't find linux alternatives to my favorite windows programs for those activities.
for painting i use programs like painterX and opencanvas and despite searching i haven't found any linux program like them.
and then vectoring, in windows i use illustrator and i love its pen tool, it has the ability to click on an anchor point you just placed and convert it from a curve ancor to a corner anchor and i have yet to find a linux vectoring program that allows me to do that.

2cute4u
January 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Well those aren't WINDOWS, programs., those are programs that have versions for Windows, but not for Linux. Most of the programs you mentioned were available on Mac OS X before they were for Windows, so there's really no reason you HAVE to use windows to use them.

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well those aren't WINDOWS, programs., those are programs that have versions for Windows, but not for Linux. Most of the programs you mentioned were available on Mac OS X before they were for Windows, so there's really no reason you HAVE to use windows to use them.

given 90% market share, i say they are windows programs in the sense that id bet more people own them for windows then mac

xpod
January 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
On this PC...................me.
Never will either.

First new pc i`ve put together in my 2 years of using the things and Windows is getting nowhere near it.
It`s been running the 64 bit Xubuntu quite happily now for the week or so i`ve had the thing and although i know that will possibly change i know it aint gonna be for any of the Windows offerings.

It said "Certified for Vista" on the Motherboard box and the CPU box as far as i recall but i`ll be certified myself before it ever says anything similar on the big silver box i put it all in:)

mr.propre
January 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I never used Windows on this laptop, but my desktop is and stays with windows (vista) even though I prefer Linux over windows for most tasks. Some of them still needed to be done on a windows computer, like paying games and Photoshop/Flash.

marco123
January 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I've never used windows on my current box and never will.:) My 9 year old daughter has never used windows.:)

MONODA
January 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Nope! I bought this computer with Ubuntu and my dad is planning to do the same.
thats so cool did you get it from system76??
i am planning on getting my next computer preinstalled with ubuntu and dont know where to get it from.

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
thats so cool did you get it from system76??
i am planning on getting my next computer preinstalled with ubuntu and dont know where to get it from.

this may sound stupid but you can save money by buying a cheap desktop and putting linux on it, sure you wont get that dell or system76 support, but honestly, thats what we're here for at the forums, ill always try to help people if i have a possible solution ((trust me i f'd up enough installs that i have alot of little tricks to make things work))

nikoPSK
January 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM

well, be glad we are using linux now.

gcornett
January 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
This computer came with Vista. I ran it only to create the restore CDs in case I decide to sell or give the computer away later. Once that was done, I installed Gutsy on it.

I have to use XP on my working laptop. Certain apps require it. Once I retire (in 1.5 years) Windows will leave my life.

xpod
January 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I've never used windows on my current box and never will. My 9 year old daughter has never used windows.

My 2 1/2(she watches her videos and plays Linux letters & numbers like a demon child),10 & 12 Year old girls have used Windows and indeed do,at school but even they all prefer *buntu on their own machines.
The exception is my 7Yr old girl,she still prefers her Puppy installation she`s used for over a year now, because it`s just soooooo darn quick she says.
I`ll need to keep her off my shiney new one me thinks:)

They all have access to whatever they want/need though and i would never remove Windows from the house completely i dont think.

EDIT:

this may sound stupid but you can save money by buying a cheap desktop and putting linux on it, sure you wont get that dell or system76 support, but honestly, thats what we're here for at the forums, ill always try to help people if i have a possible solution ((trust me i f'd up enough installs that i have alot of little tricks to make things work))

Nothing stupid about that whatsoever.Every one of the previous 7 or 8 pc`s i used/had before this one these last 22 months have been rescued machines,revitalised & upgraded into perfectly good pc`s.
Theres nothing funnier than watching as the previous owners(friends,family,neighbors etc) wonder at why their old machines now seem to work better a damn site better than those shiney new things they bought from PCWorld and the like.

2cute4u
January 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM
why is everyone talking abou t the nbew computers they have that they didn't put windows on, this thread isn't supposed to be about your computer it's supposed to be about YOU.

The only reason I said "never used windows on your computer", is because almost everyone has browsed the web at one point or another on a computer they didn't own, and I didn't want to include that as windows use.

nikoPSK
January 14th, 2008, 01:35 AM
why is everyone talking abou t the nbew computers they have that they didn't put windows on, this thread isn't supposed to be about your computer it's supposed to be about YOU.

The only reason I said "never used windows on your computer", is because almost everyone has browsed the web at one point or another on a computer they didn't own, and I didn't want to include that as windows use.

yes, whatever, calm down. It's fine. :)

Best,
nikoPSK

Lysander10
January 14th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Unfortunately, I wasted countless hours learning the ins and outs of Windows, before switching to Ubuntu over a year ago. Now, I won't touch a computer with Windows on it unless I absolutely have to.

DouglasAWh
January 14th, 2008, 04:54 AM
My laptop is a ******* virgin...even under virtualization...I do have WINE installed though and use it for Firefox (PandoraFM doesn't work with the Linux version for some reason).

EDIT: haha, just went back and saw the rant about the computer virgins.

I do think the computer being a virgin is important though. It shows that people are gaining confidence in Linux. :)

sagarhshah
January 14th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Before I got to university i had never used windows.

Now i need it for my course. We have modules in VB.net and some other stuff that I need for uni.
At least I didnt have to buy it. The uni gave it free.

I recently introduced my little 6 yr old niece to the wonderful world of xubuntu via an old laptop that i had.

She has customised her desktop and installed some themes she found that she liked. She understands basic command line.I think she enjoys it very much.

I wonder what her reaction will be the first time she comes across windows!!.

swoll1980
January 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM
i don't think i could ever say that, i help people with there computers no matter what they use, to tie yourself down to only 1 os no matter what it is, is just not me. i use what ever i can get my hands on no matter what it is, i try and remember how to use all of them and when i get rusty i'll got back to it to freshen up. i'm currently freshing up on winxp now. :)

I do the same thing I quad boot mandriva unbuntu xp and vista I like to stay sharp
on all of them