PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Professor and his bet about Ubuntu vs MS?

kevdog
January 1st, 2008, 04:06 AM
As the year wraps up, just wondering whatever happened to professor fate and his bet with his friend about Ubuntu vs Microsoft. That was one of the more popular threads at the time before it was closed. Just looking to see if anyone knows what happened, who won the bet, who payed, etc?

Lostincyberspace
January 1st, 2008, 04:11 AM
I was going to post this just now and it came up in the related things. really how is it going prof?

aysiu
January 1st, 2008, 05:23 AM
I don't know.

The professor requested to close the thread and gave this link as the place for updates:
http://thebetison-ubuntu-microsoft.blogspot.com/

I don't see any updates there, though.

GSF1200S
January 1st, 2008, 05:23 AM
His last activity on these forums were November 18th. He never updated his blog which was made after the thread was closed. Hes made no effort to resolve this, and that in itself is an answer.

With the demeanor he had in the first place, and the ungodly bet that was in no way fair to reason, hes back on Vista now as we speak. You cant force one to like an OS, especially if it isnt there thing.

He moved on to Windows.

aysiu
January 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM
His last activity on these forums were November 18th. He never updated his blog which was made after the thread was closed. Hes made no effort to resolve this, and that in itself is an answer.

With the demeanor he had in the first place, and the ungodly bet that was in no way fair to reason, hes back on Vista now as we speak. You cant force one to like an OS, especially if it isnt there thing.

He moved on to Windows.
But don't you find it weird that after all that activity, the professor wouldn't put even one blog post up to say "Hey, I won the bet and am still using Vista"?

picpak
January 1st, 2008, 05:29 AM
I missed something here. Anyone care to explain it to me?

aysiu
January 1st, 2008, 05:34 AM
I missed something here. Anyone care to explain it to me?
For more details, read The bet is on! Ubuntu vs. Microsoft (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589243)

meindian523
January 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM
But don't you find it weird that after all that activity, the professor wouldn't put even one blog post up to say "Hey, I won the bet and am still using Vista"?

I thought that too,have been visiting his blog now and then but no posts,no responses to comments.

@picpac
We are talking baout this thread....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589243

Caffeine_Junky
January 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM
Hmm, ...maybe he is just busy at the moment (it is a busy time of year) ..just my thoughts

GSF1200S
January 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM

Yes I do.. It would be nice to at least have closure!

picpak
January 1st, 2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks for that link, meindian. If nothing else, I got a cool panel background out of it :lolflag:

-grubby
January 1st, 2008, 06:04 AM
Hmm, ...maybe he is just busy at the moment (it is a busy time of year) ..just my thoughts

well it's been a month and a half since we've seen him. Don't you think he would've at least posted something?

verb3k
January 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
I think he wasn't really making a bet, he just wanted to take advantage of the enthusiastic ubuntu users to help him directly whenever he faces a problem, this way he won't need to wait for the answer nor he will need to open new threads for his questions.

GSF1200S
January 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM
I think he wasn't really making a bet, he just wanted to take advantage of the enthusiastic ubuntu users to help him directly whenever he faces a problem, this way he won't need to wait for the answer nor he will need to open new threads for his questions.

Good possibility... Never did hear from his advocate friend who supposedly pushed him so hard...

aysiu
January 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I've written about that:
A Plea to the Community: Don't Reward Bad Behavior (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=634322)

yabbadabbadont
January 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I've written about that:
A Plea to the Community: Don't Reward Bad Behavior (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=634322)

Unfortunately, it seems like the community just can't help themselves.

kevdog
January 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
If that guy was faking the entire bet (which he probably was) that was not very ethical of him. That thread was probably the busiest thread I have seen in some time, and he received a lot of good one on one help. To stoop to that level to get that level of support ..... Grrr just makes me angry.

Lostincyberspace
January 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
You have to admit it was really affective.

Could an admin please email him just so he can atleast clear his name up.

forrestcupp
January 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
If that guy was faking the entire bet (which he probably was) that was not very ethical of him. That thread was probably the busiest thread I have seen in some time, and he received a lot of good one on one help. To stoop to that level to get that level of support ..... Grrr just makes me angry.
Well, from the very beginning I thought it was probably fake. Someone would have to be crazy to make that kind of a bet. He kind of sounded like someone using an alias to write an undercover article for some webzine.

People need to learn the lesson that aysiu tried to teach us. Show no favoritism. Don't give one person better support than another just because he has a good story. Out of the thousands of people who need help, we don't have time for the whole community to be one man's personal tech support. Canonical has paid support for that.

But at least maybe other people can read those threads and find solutions to their problems.

some_random_noob
January 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Clearly a fake, who the hell would do such a stupid bet? Like others have said, the guy who claimed to be doing the bet was obviously just doing it to take advantage of certain members here. The sad thing is that people actually contributed to his temporary fame.

kevdog
January 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
As stated above there was a lot of useful information in that thread about various problems, etc. Its a shame that thread with a lot of its useful information will be buried were no one else will spend the time to fish through it to find the perls b/c its so long.

ÜbuntuMensch
January 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Check out his profile info on that blog...he claims to be an accountant in Afghanistan.

I don't doubt his bet. If I were an accountant in Afghanistan I would probably be looking for any kind of non-lethal distractions. But it is possible his communications are not entirely reliable or that other projects have become higher priorities.

God willing, he will surface and let us know what happened.

gn2
January 2nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
The Prof's bet thread was an interesting enough one, there was a lot of lively debate and I'm fairly sure many readers learned some new stuff as a result.

Whatever OS he's ended up using now and whether it was all real or fake, who cares, it was fun while it lasted.

kevdog
January 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Id like him to reappear also....fat chance on that however.