PDA

View Full Version : Car GPS navigation units

Mateo
December 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm talking about devices that companies like TomTom or Garmin make. How do these things work? Do you have to pay for a subscription to the service or are map updates, etc. part of the purchase price? Also, to update I'm guessing you plug the device into the computer via a USB cable and then there is some sort of propierty software that syncs it,is this correct? I'm considering getting one, but I want to know all about them first.

deloreanz1
December 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM
There is no subscription fee for any of them that I know of. I think for some brands, the map updates cost money, but there is no monthly fee or anything similar.

And yes, that is commonly the method for update.

TrailerTrash
December 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
I could be wrong, but i think the TomTom uses Linux. :confused:

SomeGuyDude
December 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
I have a Garmin StreetPilot c550. It works as a storage device, so to update you just download a file and put it in a folder on the thing. No need for any software.

There IS software to load other POI's, but I have that running through Wine problem-free.

tgalati4
December 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
Older Magellan units required a $100 fee to upgrade maps. But as prices drop, it makes more sense just to buy a new one than to upgrade the older technology.