PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a free PC

evil316
December 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Any ideas on the best places to find a free PC to use for tinkering with Linux? I was thinking companies but don't know how to get in touch with the right people. Anyone have any experience or pointers?

earobinson
December 31st, 2007, 08:19 PM
schools are always good

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 08:21 PM
I don't know, try the junkyard or the garbage of a rich neighbourhood. :P

Alternatively, you could try installing in a new VM such as VMWare Server, Microsoft Virtual Server or Virtual Box. That way you can run it on your existing system in you existing OS. Wont' be perefect for everything but if you just want to tinker...

Mateo
December 31st, 2007, 08:22 PM
free? good luck there. unless you are into robbery, you might have a hard time. But you can find PCs for dirt cheap at yard sales and flea markets.

evil316
December 31st, 2007, 08:24 PM
I would think companies would be one place. I'm sure the larger companies either give to schools or get rid of computers in bulk like the government does but smaller companies might be an option.

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 08:40 PM
I would look for ones that are thrown out. nathangrubb, a member of this forum, got one of his computers from a junkyard, apparently, Windows didn't work (everything else did)

evil316
December 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Exactly, you wouldn't believe the stuff people throw away these days. I'm placing free ads to see what is available. I already have someone that wants to give me a free 486 but I'd prefer something a little bit newer so I'm going to hold out for something better keeping my fingers crossed.

qpieus
December 31st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Free - maybe from a garbage dump, a business, or ask your coworkers.

Also ask at your local school district. My city's school district holds a pc sale once a year and they have older PCs plus monitor, keyboard and mouse for $25. That is worthwhile to me. I bought a P3 667 MHz beauty that is happily running debian etch and acting as my file/backup server. For $25 I'm very happy with it.

Steveway
December 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Schools are a good Place. I got 2 old 166MHZ PC's from a School here where I was working on the Firealarmsystem (Cables that go through the whole school).
They got some new ones and wanted to throw the old ones away, so I jumped in and got those 2. (Pretty nice things, from Siemens with a lock and keys.)
They are running Debian and in case one breaks, they are both the same.

thatswhatshesaid
December 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Check out freecycle. I have seen a few in my area but they go really fast.

DjBones
December 31st, 2007, 10:24 PM
i know that the computer-surplus store around where i live recycles computers for free..
if there was a business like that around you then you could just ask for one lol

the best luck i've had with old computers is using the debian (testing) installation floppies to do a minimal net-install and then apt-getting X and a few other apps

sounds like you already posted on something like craig's list ..
ask around, i'm sure most people have a windows 98 sitting in their garage :)

cartisdm
December 31st, 2007, 10:32 PM
definitely companies. I work for an issurance company and every once in a while they will ask if any employees want some old desktop PCs for like 5 bucks, otherwise they go out to charity.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Put a sign in the back window of your car with something like

Wanted, Free PC
Must Work
Phone #

I've tried to give away PC's before. Most charities want relatively new PCs these days.

ugm6hr
January 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM

Depends on how old the computer is. Worth keeping an eye out. In my local region, a couple of guys recycle old computer parts into fully functional units and redistribute:
http://www.freecycle.org/

xuCGC002
January 1st, 2008, 02:00 AM
Schools are a good Place. I got 2 old 166MHZ PC's from a School here where I was working on the Firealarmsystem (Cables that go through the whole school).
They got some new ones and wanted to throw the old ones away, so I jumped in and got those 2. (Pretty nice things, from Siemens with a lock and keys.)
They are running Debian and in case one breaks, they are both the same.

My school gets new computers every 2 years. They have these sweet rigs that they'll just toss next year, so i'll pester them. Hopefully they won't send them to the NT freak of an admin we have, but there are about 200 of them, so there's a chance they'll give me a few.

LaRoza
January 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
Do what I did, sneak into the school's library and take it.

I actually did do this, but not for keeps, just for a presentation. So I did "steal" the computer, and take it apart for the presentation. I put it back together and snuck it back in the lab.

xuCGC002
January 1st, 2008, 02:09 AM

I actually did do this, but not for keeps, just for a presentation. So I did "steal" the computer, and take it apart for the presentation. I put it back together and snuck it back in the lab.

I just remembered that i asked them for one, and they said: "No, they are district property and must be sent to the district administrator." Then they made themselves look literate and said: "Also, we do not want you formatting the Gigabyte or downloading the floppy." seriously. I cracked up.
:lol:

Ripfox
January 1st, 2008, 03:03 AM

Oh man that is funny...

dasunst3r
January 1st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Try thrift stores -- they're not free, but they can get pretty close.

Paqman
January 1st, 2008, 03:18 AM

^This^

I've given away a couple of old boxes to Freecyclers. It tends to be people looking to tinker with Linux that snap them up.

sdowney717
January 1st, 2008, 03:20 AM
church yard sales. We run 2 yard sales per year to help pay for youth aflame mission trips to help people in Peru, Africa, Phillipines, Mexico.
There are always a bunch of them at the end of the sale and they go super cheap.

Tundro Walker
January 1st, 2008, 11:07 AM
My school gets new computers every 2 years. They have these sweet rigs that they'll just toss next year, so i'll pester them. Hopefully they won't send them to the NT freak of an admin we have, but there are about 200 of them, so there's a chance they'll give me a few.

I can just picture it. Folks are always worried about "crazy cat ladies", with wall-to-wall cats bouncing around. But now we have "crazy computer guys" with wall-to-wall computers in their apartment, all blinking and whirring, doing god-knows-what. I imagine that might be how a couple of the Folding@Home folks are racking up the big scores. Ugh, my brother is turning into one of these types...

JustinMoco
January 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
In Europe (Probably the US as well) CRT screens have to be recycled in our local tip there is shipping container set aside for this and on the side t says "TV's and computer screen". inside is stacked loads of screens .. and a whole heap of computers and laptops. I dunno why but hey :)

The wife was very pissed off, I went with a screen and came back with five laptops an IBM intelistation and a Compaq presario ..

allforcarrie
January 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
i bet you could use craigslist.

tbroderick
January 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
In Europe (Probably the US as well) CRT screens have to be recycled in our local tip there is shipping container set aside for this and on the side t says "TV's and computer screen". inside is stacked loads of screens .. and a whole heap of computers and laptops. I dunno why but hey :)

They're hazardous materials. Dumps usually frown on taking stuff without permission as they can receive money for how much they recycle.

jman623
January 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
I don't know about free, but I bet you can find some machines pretty dirt cheap on craiglist

evil316
January 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I had a few bites on some cheap and one free 486 computer but ended up getting a PIII from my mother in law. Works great for what I needed and since I bought her a new PC a while back it's kind of like I paid for it anyway. :)

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I had a few bites on some cheap and one free 486 computer but ended up getting a PIII from my mother in law. Works great for what I needed and since I bought her a new PC a while back it's kind of like I paid for it anyway. :)
Sweet deal. If you get more familiar with running a Linux server and want to build yourself a real one, it's really economical to build a low-cost AMD-server. I just built my parents one for about $400; 3600+ X2 (dual core), with 2GB of RAM and 500GB hard drive. Runs like a dream. I also bought a Phenom-capable board (which is the only reason the price is as high as it was), so that if they ever need it, I can throw a Phenom quad-core on there ($150-$250), maybe another 2GB of RAM ($50), and even another 500GB hard drive ($100). It's a little cheaper than going with an Intel setup, so I tend to use it for my servers. I prefer to go Intel for my desktops, though.

jgrabham
January 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
This thread has reminded me, a couple of weeks ago, at school, we were trying to watch a DVD last lesson of the year, teacher couldnt be bothered etc. SO, me and a mate tried to put it on, decided there was no DVD drive and we were floored. But then we realised the file server in the corner... it had a dvd drive in it... I bet tomorrow (first day back) a technician will be sat there scratching his head trying to work out whats wrong... the keyboard, mouse, interactive whiteboard, and monitor are all now plugged into the server.

XD

jgrabham
January 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Sweet deal. If you get more familiar with running a Linux server and want to build yourself a real one, it's really economical to build a low-cost AMD-server. I just built my parents one for about $400; 3600+ X2 (dual core), with 2GB of RAM and 500GB hard drive. Runs like a dream. I also bought a Phenom-capable board (which is the only reason the price is as high as it was), so that if they ever need it, I can throw a Phenom quad-core on there ($150-$250), maybe another 2GB of RAM ($50), and even another 500GB hard drive ($100). It's a little cheaper than going with an Intel setup, so I tend to use it for my servers. I prefer to go Intel for my desktops, though.

Thats not a real server, a real server is a P2 running with some obscure amount of RAM, with several IDE hard drives in a plastic box, cos you couldn't be bothered to get a real case XD

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Thats not a real server, a real server is a P2 running with some obscure amount of RAM, with several IDE hard drives in a plastic box, cos you couldn't be bothered to get a real case XD
....? The parts would go bad pretty fast if you just stuck them in a plastic box

That being said, I did make a file server for them a couple of years ago with an old P2 with 128MBs of RAM, but I could only piece together 3 hard drives for 120GB, Since that filled up a few months ago, they said they wanted more space, and I advised them to just spring for some new parts that would last them longer. They wanted to spend $1000+ buying a new computer from HP or Dell, and they were amazed when I told them I could piece together a computer for $400.

While the P2 certainly did its job, it did get hung up a lot, even just transferring files across the local network. They're getting much better read/write and transfer speeds with the new box. And they have tons more space that's easily expandable if they ever run out.

oldb0y
January 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I imagine that might be how a couple of the Folding@Home folks are racking up the big scores. Ugh, my brother is turning into one of these types...

Hey! What's wrong about a little folding?:lolflag: