PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, the truth is better then the made up stuff

fatality_uk
December 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/31/home_server/

* A home server is under an extreme load. For example, lots of files are being copied to the home server
* At the same time, a user is editing files that are already saved in a shared folder on the home server.
* The program that the user is using to edit these files is one of the programs that are listed in this article.

Tristam Green
December 31st, 2007, 07:45 PM
funny stuff!

"All right folks, we have this here Home Server! But it's really not a server, it's more or less a network storage device. But buy it from us, because it's got the trusty 'Designed for Windows Vista' badge affixed! We're serious!"

Microsoft; Oh, you cards.

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Then what is the point?

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Extremely amusing.
I can't believe people pay for this stuff.

Get a cheap tower and ...
http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=28

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Copying files can produce an "extreme" load? Is this thing running on a 286?

I've put my home server (P4 1.8GHz, old) under an "extreme" load a couple times. For instance, compiling Apache -- that caused the CPU to overheat and scale down; but it didn't shutdown, and I could still access other services with no noticeable slowdown. I've done multi-gigabyte file transfers on the same machine, and that produces nothing even close that kind of load.

insane_alien
December 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
lucky my windows home server only performs one function which exposes it to none of those conditions. that function is: heated foot stool.

i'm actually kidding. i use ubuntu as a server but it still occasionally fulfills the function of footstool it just does other server type things as well. along with bringing you this post.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 08:50 PM
Copying files can produce an "extreme" load? Is this thing running on a 286?

I've put my home server (P4 1.8GHz, old) under an "extreme" load a couple times. For instance, compiling Apache -- that caused the CPU to overheat and scale down; but it didn't shutdown, and I could still access other services with no noticeable slowdown. I've done multi-gigabyte file transfers on the same machine, and that produces nothing even close that kind of load.

Yeah, I've found the Freenix systems to be very stable.

On FreeBSD you mostly build everything from 'ports' so I've put my system under some stress that way too. I've had the Evolution and Firefox browsers crash on me on occasion but NEVER had the whole system die under ordinary use. Even when the browser crashes it doesn't stop responding or do "illegal operatons" it just goes away. When I launch it again it remembers my session and tabs so it's like nothing happened.