PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft patent: modular pay as you go OS.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 06:32 PM
I found this somewhere else.
A microsoft patent relating to restricting functionality of the OS/hardware depending on how much the computer owner has payed.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220060282899%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20060282899&RS=DN/20060282899

The foundation of it is DRM, which will enforce what hardware can run and to what extent. They speak of limiting access to hardware acceleration until a gaming pak has been payed for or cutting the number of comcurrent windows that can be used or programs that can be opened. It mentions the possibility of expiring licenses on certain functionality. In other words, you pay a monthly fee to keep using your video card, for example.

Something so complete as this is a probably ways off and might not happen in the exact way envisioned in the patent. However, it gives some insight into what MS is thinking and what is behind their obsession with DRM going forward. Ten years ago there was no WPA (activation). Now, Vista can already be crippled by an edict from Redmond if they believe you've done something against their EULA. This has even happened by accident. Users are annoyed, but they continue to fund these developments. Not that you have much choice if you're buying a new PC from a vendor.

Sometimes I feel we are going to tolerate microsoft's monopoly until we wake up one day and realise we are totally at its mercy. This is probably why some governments have been moving away from using MS software. The expense and closed, unverifiable source code aside, the fact is that it's a foreign company with the increasing ability to control your machines (even denying use) remotely.

Anyway, this is a forum of people that already decided they need alternatives (the proverbial 'choir'...ho). Just thought I'd share info on where the windows world might like to go if it could arrange things well enough to get away with it. It's very interesting that the mere existence of FOSS is probably helping windows users (like me, since I have not completely migrated yet) more than they realise.

EdThaSlayer
December 31st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Another nice anti-M$ article to fuel my hate.It's good the governments are changing though, act today, save the future.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Lol, and I didn't really start out anti-MS.
I'm getting there.... not out of irrationality or envy, but out of appreciation of facts that I had previously dismissed or ignored.

fatality_uk
December 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM
MS usually file a patent a day lol
They have lots and usually it's just to cover thier back.
However, this does seem a little too left field even for them

snickers295
December 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
lol don't worry, Microsoft is gonna get whats coming.
this is one of the reasons that i came to linux.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
However, this does seem a little too left field even for them

Yeah, I know, it seems pretty left-field and blatantly anti-consumer.

The things is, Vista already is anti-consumer to an extent (would you ask for all the resource consuming DRM 'features'), just that it's dressed up in a pretty Aero interface and nice marketing. If they ever decide to try something like the strategy outline in the first post they won't sell it in dry patent language; they'll dress it up in language highlighting your 'choice' and 'freedom' to buy functionality relevant to you and the savings of not having to pay at once.

They already have pay-as-you-go programs in some markets:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070222-8907.html)

Vista already has several feature limited versions with an option to upgrade online to get full functionality.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/windowsanytimeupgrade/overview.mspx

Did Windows Millenium have many different versions and did it have WPA?
XP had a few different versions and WPA. Vista has more versions and stricter, more tighly integrated WPA/DRM.
The obvious finale is an extremely modular OS where you pay for each little part or lose the functionality if you don't.

So, I'm not being alarmist and saying they're going to follow every letter of the patent starting tomorrow. What I'm saying is that the patent harmonizes with the company's recent technological decisions and actions and probably represents the trajectory of their thinking.

Mateo
December 31st, 2007, 07:54 PM
It's not a bad idea, actually. It could potentially cause computers to drop in price dramatically for those who choose to go this route. I wouldn't personally ever do this, but this isn't much different from how a TiVo works. TiVo doesn't limit your hardware's capabilities, at least not to my knowledge, but they do require you to pay a montly subscription for TiVo "service" (basically for the right to use your own property). Some people choose to buy the lifetime subscription and of course those units are more expensive. The same thing could work here.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Except that the infrastructure necessary to get this to work might end up closing the PC quite a bit. If you're too free to tinker with hardware you could upset Microsoft DRM schemes. You could write a driver that circumvents the checks. Expect device documentation to become even rarer and for there to be additional negative pressure against open source drivers for new products.

Also, if you have to pay in perpetuity, you WILL eventually pay more than you would have paid in one shot.
Besides, you can already pay for a whole PC in installements by buying from a vendor such as DELL.

It's one thing to apply a subscription model to application programs. If the program stops working you use something else.
However, when an OS stops working you lose use of hardware and other software programs that you have already paid for.
I think the main benefit of this is a constant revenue stream for Microsoft.

Personally, I don't care about it so much since I won't be using windows at that point.
It's not for me and I would never cede such essential control of my machine.
I'm more concerned about the potential effect on hardware manufacturers making open drivers even harder to come by.

Tundro Walker
January 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Remember those cartoons that always showed the house of the future. I can just imagine them as seen through Steve Ballmer's eyes...

You: "Ah, another day of work, and now it's time to relax at home. Hi, house, I'm back. Please open door, turn on lights, tv, and prep some coffee, please."

House: "I'm sorry, but I can't do that, Dave."

Y: "What? Why not?"

H: "You let your subscription on the door module lapse. So, I'm not allowed to let you use the door."

Y: "What?! O c'mon! I paid everything up! I mean, I thought I did?"

H: "Sorry, Dave, but you decided to pay for the front-door separately from your other accounts, remember? You were afraid someone might get access to your account, so you created an ultra-super-secret secure account just for the door module. The money has run out of that super-secret account, and thus your subscripton has lapsed."

Y: "Oh, c'MON! You won't let me in my own house!?"

H: "Pardon me, Dave, but would you step aside so I may let the MicroRealty security officer in to patrol your home?"

Y: "Wait, you're letting some complete freakin stranger into MY house, but you won't let me into my own house?!"

H: "This person is a paid professional from the MicroRealty corporation, here to inspect your house to make sure everything is secure."

Y: "Oh, he's...HEY! He's reading my mail! And watching MY TV! What the...?! Oh C'mon!"

H: "Yes, Dave. He's making sure there's no malicious packages or programming in your house that might harm you."

Y: "He's...HE'S tossing my Playboys on the fire! What the hell!?"

H: "You did not purchase those, Dave. Hence, they are not yours."

Y: "I found them in a dumpster, so what...c'mon! This is insane! Stupid House, LET ME IN!"

Of course, by then, you'll have a micro-chip in your brain which will simply switch you off after work, making you a drooling vegetable while your brain interacts with some virtual world and your body is carted off to a storage bin for the night. But, that's in our next episode of ... The Microsoft Zone...

Mazza558
January 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
That patent is ridiculous!

allforcarrie
January 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Of course, by then, you'll have a micro-chip in your brain which will simply switch you off after work, making you a drooling vegetable while your brain interacts with some virtual world and your body is carted off to a storage bin for the night. But, that's in our next episode of ... The Microsoft Zone...

thats why I own linux house. the doors dont work rite on this versionn of the foundation so you have to go in threw the windows. The lites only turn on if you are in the living room. It comes with furnature and plumbing but you have to put that all together yourself. Linux house also has multiple floor plans but only some of them will work for your lot and price range.

Lord DarkPat
January 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
You buy 768 MB grafix card, a nice X-fi to pep you up, now, you pay your butt of for that stuff and at the month end, voila, "Money Out PLS"
It's Ludicrous

bobbocanfly
January 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thank god this will never really work. Even Windows sheep that dont know about the alternatives will realise that this is insane. If you buy a graphics card you are gonna want to be able to use it without paying extra. If someone pretty clueless about computers buys a PC and a shiny new game with the reassurance of the PC sales staff that it will work they are going to find paying to play the game at a high spec pretty dodgy.

Microsoft really have lost touch with the customer.

insane_alien
January 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Thank god this will never really work. Even Windows sheep that dont know about the alternatives will realise that this is insane. If you buy a graphics card you are gonna want to be able to use it without paying extra. If someone pretty clueless about computers buys a PC and a shiny new game with the reassurance of the PC sales staff that it will work they are going to find paying to play the game at a high spec pretty dodgy.

Microsoft really have lost touch with the customer.

indeed, even the most computer illiterate will remember that XP and/or vista did not require a subscription so they will be unlikely to upgrade. some users with a bit of internet capability might even start casting around for alternatives and switch as well.

snickers295
January 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Remember those cartoons that always showed the house of the future. I can just imagine them as seen through Steve Ballmer's eyes...

You: "Ah, another day of work, and now it's time to relax at home. Hi, house, I'm back. Please open door, turn on lights, tv, and prep some coffee, please."

House: "I'm sorry, but I can't do that, Dave."

Y: "What? Why not?"

H: "You let your subscription on the door module lapse. So, I'm not allowed to let you use the door."

Y: "What?! O c'mon! I paid everything up! I mean, I thought I did?"

H: "Sorry, Dave, but you decided to pay for the front-door separately from your other accounts, remember? You were afraid someone might get access to your account, so you created an ultra-super-secret secure account just for the door module. The money has run out of that super-secret account, and thus your subscripton has lapsed."

Y: "Oh, c'MON! You won't let me in my own house!?"

H: "Pardon me, Dave, but would you step aside so I may let the MicroRealty security officer in to patrol your home?"

Y: "Wait, you're letting some complete freakin stranger into MY house, but you won't let me into my own house?!"

H: "This person is a paid professional from the MicroRealty corporation, here to inspect your house to make sure everything is secure."

Y: "Oh, he's...HEY! He's reading my mail! And watching MY TV! What the...?! Oh C'mon!"

H: "Yes, Dave. He's making sure there's no malicious packages or programming in your house that might harm you."

Y: "He's...HE'S tossing my Playboys on the fire! What the hell!?"

H: "You did not purchase those, Dave. Hence, they are not yours."

Y: "I found them in a dumpster, so what...c'mon! This is insane! Stupid House, LET ME IN!"

lol i like that, whens the next episode. lol