PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get distro "wanderlust"?

SomeGuyDude
December 31st, 2007, 07:13 AM
I can't be the only person who has this "problem". :lolflag:

A satisfied Ubuntu user for a whopping few months now, I am completely unable to shake the desire to install something new on a weekly basis, just to try it out. I have a small stack of discs beside me with all the various distros I could think of and just today I burned one for OpenSUSE's KDE version (I had the GNOME prior), and SimplyMEPIS.

I'm not dissatisfied by Ubuntu in any way, it's just that with so many options out there, I feel the constant desire to look at them all!

amlwaycooljr
December 31st, 2007, 07:32 AM
I have the same problem. I usually can't go a day without tweaking something or another. I'm always on the look for better applications and with 22K packages to download it'll take awhile to have a good look at them all.

Kingsley
December 31st, 2007, 07:42 AM
I get very curious about other distributions when a new version of Ubuntu come out (weird). If I try another distro but don't like it, I'll install the latest Ubuntu version. I installed Fedora 8 on this desktop 4 weeks ago as an upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04. I happen to like it though, so Fedora's staying.

gnomeuser
December 31st, 2007, 08:12 AM
I used to have that problem.. the cure for me was becoming a Fedora developer, now that I have users depending on me to update their packages that tingling urge went away.

Get involve and the problem goes away, that is my advice.

gyffes
December 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
Ahhh, and herein lies the joy that is known as VMWare Fusion!

I currently have the following distros installed/in use/in testing/in various stages of being Messed With Beyond All Recognition:

* Ubu7.10
* xUbu7.10
* gOS
* PCLinux
* RuckOS (a personalized CentOS I found online somewhere... I told you, I'm a sick sick man...)

Annnnnnd Feather, although I'm having trouble getting VMWare to play with this last.

Oh, and of course, the obligatory XP installs, all stripped of icons and themes via Blackbox and slickrun.

What I'm finding is that, once everything is stable and stripped to barebones look-feel, I prettymuch have become OS agnostic. And this is from a longtime Apple fanboy (wanna see my 128k ORIGINAL mac, bought new in 1985?).

So, yeah, I understand the wanderlust... lemme repeat: Thank YOU, virtualization!

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 08:17 AM
I have over 100 that I have on disk or on hard disk.

I have gotten 14 OS's installed on one hard disk, all bootable at the same time.

I then discovered VirtualBox :)

I have a large collection of distros.

I started a thread a while back about this.

jeffus_il
December 31st, 2007, 08:20 AM
We all tend to believe the neighbour's grass is greener, and like changes, it more disrupting changing partners than distros, but if you're feeling masochistic, why not try Hardy?

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM
We all tend to believe the neighbour's grass is greener, and like changes, it more disrupting changing partners than distros, but if you're feeling masochistic, why not try Hardy?

I do it for fun.

When I feel masochistic, I try Windows.

SomeGuyDude
December 31st, 2007, 09:12 AM

Y'know I'd kinda like to put Hardy on my other partition since OpenSUSE just blew the fark up as soon as I attempted to get Compiz running (I'm an effects junkie). Where do I get my hands on it?

jeffus_il
December 31st, 2007, 09:22 AM
here!

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/alpha-2/

toupeiro
December 31st, 2007, 09:50 AM
+1 to the VMWare post

I sometimes want to check out a new distro of Linux just to see whats different in it, but I am very happy with my ubuntu system, and all my other systems have dedicated roles. VMWare satisfies this for me for the most part. If I ever find something so good from an interface and package management system, i would consider putting a partition in place for it. Until then, I have VMWare.

My latest point of interest in regards to an OS is Pardus Linux (http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/). I'm interested because its the first distribution not built off the fab 3 of GNU/Linux distros (Debian, Redhat or Slackware) It's the latest root branch off of GNU/Linux in quite some time, and it looks interesting.

Scarath
December 31st, 2007, 10:00 AM
solution: 2nd computer (preferably an old thinkpad or something else you KNOW likes linux). And just install all ur various distros on there while still keeping you ubuntu work-horse?

I have this "wanderlust" of which you speak but its not a bad thing, it just shows the wondrous variety of linux :D

Anyway happy wandrin'

gn2
December 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Y'know I'd kinda like to put Hardy on my other partition since OpenSUSE just blew the fark up as soon as I attempted to get Compiz running (I'm an effects junkie). Where do I get my hands on it?

Here you go:
Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/alpha2
Kubuntu: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/HardyHeron/Alpha2/Kubuntu
Xubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/8.04/alpha-2/

Enjoy!

SteveHillier
December 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I am completely unable to shake the desire to install something new on a weekly basis, just to try it out. I have a small stack of discs beside me with all the various distros I could think of and just today I burned one for OpenSUSE's KDE version (I had the GNOME prior), and SimplyMEPIS.

I'm not dissatisfied by Ubuntu in any way, it's just that with so many options out there, I feel the constant desire to look at them all!

The nub of the question is this. Isn't everyone who has even tried Linux someone who is prepared to try out something new?

It must be in the nature of us all. If we were not prepared to experiment we would all be sitting in front on Windows machines rather than joining the exciting and sometimes frustrating world of Linux.

I have been using Ubuntu some 15 months now and it works for me but still the other week I had to try out Open SUSE 10.?? (latest release) - I thought I should have a go.

Interesting I got a GRUB error 22 on the install (several times), I reported a bug to Novell (349529 if any one is interested) and am still awaiting a satisfactory response.

Until Ubuntu the big boys always seemed to have distros that just did not cut the mustard. Ubuntu gives a workable out of the box solution. but I suspect I shall keep looking.

That's the development challenge - to keep Ubuntu interesting enough that we don't wonder too far.

BFN

SteveHillier
December 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have gotten 14 OS's installed on one hard disk, all bootable at the same time.

Sorry!!!! I have read a lot of your posts and would consider you one of the wise ones, but really!! 14 all bootable!! That is just sad!!!!!!!
lol

allforcarrie
December 31st, 2007, 03:04 PM
it usualy takes me a month of tinkering for something to go wrong and reinstall XP.... :( I have been an off and on user for a few years now. Now that i have WUBI its alot easyer. Now i need is mint installable form WUBI!

fuscia
December 31st, 2007, 03:46 PM
hey, somedude, i just wanted to make sure you knew about the other OS (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147) forum.

gn2
December 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Now i need is mint installable form WUBI!

Once you've got Ubuntu installed via Wubi, perhaps you could change the repos over to the Mint ones (or just add them to the Ubuntu ones) and add the Minty flavoured packages, theme, artwork, menu and suchlike?

ruz322
December 31st, 2007, 03:58 PM

I don't like to try the new versions before the final release is made. It would almost be like peeping at my Christmas presents before Christmas actually came. That would completely take the surprise and fun out of the release!

Tux.Ice
December 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM
dont try hardy i warn you its exactly like gutsy eyecandy wise

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry!!!! I have read a lot of your posts and would consider you one of the wise ones, but really!! 14 all bootable!! That is just sad!!!!!!!
lol

Sad? It was quite fun having Windows, 12 Linuxes and a BSD all working together.

Don't worry, it was not my main computer, which I keep stable, and only have two OS's on, Ubuntu is my primary OS.

The other computer I just used to play around with, until I sold it. (With Windows, Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS)

fuscia
December 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Sad? It was quite fun having Windows, 12 Linuxes and a BSD all working together.

isn't that a little like writing the lord's prayer on the head of a pin?

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM
isn't that a little like writing the lord's prayer on the head of a pin?

I only had a 160 GB hard disk, so I was limited.

In my computer now, I have two 250 GB hard disks, but do not mess with my primary system (although it would be more fun to do so)

kamaboko
December 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Virtualbox has been my down fall. Knowing that I can toss an OS on w/o destroying my stable system has been both a blessing and a curse.

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Virtualbox has been my down fall. Knowing that I can toss an OS on w/o destroying my stable system has been both a blessing and a curse.

Just installed Windows 98 in VirtualBox.

allforcarrie
January 1st, 2008, 07:08 AM

LOL might as well get windows ME.

yabbadabbadont
January 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM
LOL might as well get windows ME.

Better duck... I just started throwing things at you. (It would help if I knew where to aim. ;))

My very thoughtful brother in law gave my mother an old system with Windows ME on it so that she could play some games. Even though I'm a six and half hour drive away and he is 15 minutes away, can you guess which one of us has to help her use it... Ugh. It's OK though. I'm teaching my two year old nephew all sorts of fun words to only be used in church. :twisted:

I just need to get hold of her games to see if they will work in WINE. Probably not, as they are standalone versions of MSN games. :(

SomeGuyDude
January 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
hey, somedude, i just wanted to make sure you knew about the other OS (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147) forum.

Oh I'm aware. Read it constantly, got into a debate over Mint just recently actually. I keep tabs on the SuSE and Fedora subforums mainly (for some reason I find SuSE to be the one distro I want to "force" to work over any other since it feels the most professional to me), and am always on the lookout for a new something or other.

I'm going to check out this VMWare business as well. I nuked the HD tonight after a totally botched attempt with Mandriva again.

Lostincyberspace
January 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
My latest wandering geubuntu. Its actually really nice development of a gnome enlightenment desktop.

Linuxratty
January 2nd, 2008, 01:41 AM
My latest wandering geubuntu. Its actually really nice development of a gnome enlightenment desktop.

I'm trying out SimplyMepis7 right now.

FuturePilot
January 2nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
I have a rather large stack of Linux CDs on my desk :shock:

gn2
January 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
I have a rather large stack of Linux CDs on my desk :shock:

I use CD-RW :wink:

el_ricardo
January 2nd, 2008, 03:28 AM
yes, yes, oh yes i do, I constantly have to stop myself from installing a new distro to my laptop, i always forget that openSUSE is the ONLY distro that appears to work with my graphics card, I keep ubuntu on my main PC all the time, and keep a partition spare to experiment with, i currently have reactOS installed to it. My other PC is pretty much devoted to running liveCDs

but yeah i organized my CDs the other day, and all my linux distros took up 2 and a bit 16 sleeve CD cases lol!

new2*buntu
January 2nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
I also do! Good thing I have a few CD-RWs :)

FuturePilot
January 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
I use CD-RW :wink:

Yeah, I started doing that especially for the Ubuntu Alpha releases. I have a bunch of old dev versions of Feisty and Gutsy. I don't know what to do with them:-k

mr32123
January 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Yes! haha I've tried so many, I can't even remember them all. The last ones I tried before Gutsy were Sabayon, PC Linux OS amd openSuse. I have to admit though, openSuse and Sabayon were very impressive and worked flawlessly right away.

Can't lie though, I keep coming back to Windows(XP). Its a combination of being frustrated with not getting things to work or not having things and just being more familiar and comfortable with XP. Maybe someday I will find a worthy distro... but thats why I keep trolling Linux forums :(

the_darkside_986
January 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
The last time I tried to multi-boot Ubuntu and openSUSE was a complete mess and it didn't work. So I have my partiton table setup such that /home is separate from / and this allows me to try different distros without losing my personal data. Of course, I make backups anyway.

Right now, I became bored with Ubuntu and decided I would try a more slightly challengine distro such as openSUSE 10.3. It took me forever to figure out how to get my wireless card to work. But there are one-click installers for other things like NVIDIA and restricted codecs. I installed only off the live KDE CD since the DVD was taking too long to download. That made it more challenging.

It seems like a nice distro and I'll probably use it until Hardy Heron is released. Or I might find another distro to try.

Also, I installed Windows XP, and I installed the Bitstream Vera fonts as my default fonts in Windows so I could make my desktop look more like Gnome or KDE, something I'm used to. Besides, MS Sans looks stupid as a font anyway, IMO. I also have cygwin installed and I am currently wondering how I can replace the default shell from explorer.exe to the cygwin x-server + cygwin KDE. But i haven't even built or installed cygwin KDE or Gnome yet. This would make using Windows XP somewhat more tolerable.

SteveHillier
January 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM

There is just one comment to this. Followed by a whole row of '?'

WHY??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

Please, I don't need to know the answer!!

Saint Angeles
January 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
2 nights ago i re-installed Kubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 2, and Linux Mint.

nothing satisfies me like Ubuntu Gutsy.

eljoeb
January 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I only consider switching when I need to clear the computer for some reason. Like now, I'm reinstalling Vista to play Eve (that Linux client... grr. Plus S.T.A.L.K.E.R is not tolerable in wine) So I'm considering dropping Arch for... something. Not sure. Either Fedora or more Arch.

allforcarrie
January 3rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
I cant wait to try out Fedora 8, i have been reading about it.

Nunu
January 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Don't worry man we are all like that... thats why we like linux we like new things more bang for your buck.

I am already counting the days to 8.04

dmitrijledkov
January 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Ubuntu gives a workable out of the box solution. but I suspect I shall keep looking.

That's the development challenge - to keep Ubuntu interesting enough that we don't wonder too far.

BFN

I like the recent Ubuntu fork gOS. Online always, Google Gears, Enlightnment desktop, and lots of internet junkie goodies =D. Thinkgos.com.

Perpetual
January 8th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I am stuck in a sad cycle of back-and-forth between Ubuntu and Fedora. I can't decide which I like best and may change more than once in a day. I have always been the type that hated Restaurant Menu's because all of the choices...can never decide. Linux is even worse for me. :(

But not once have I went back to Windows. I think I need counseling.

sujoy
January 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM
i am a complete Linux user since this last two months and all this time I have had gutsy and slackware (now i have gentoo in its place) installed in my laptop while on my PC it was first fiesty, then fedora 6, then opensuse10.2 then debian etch, then mandriva, then dreamlinux and now its probably going to be arch or wolvix !!!

i didn't because I had problems, i changed because i just want to try them out all......... well can't really try them out in 1 week but atleast have a look :)

alwiap
January 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I've been fooling around with every Ubuntu product, DSL, Puppy Linux, openSUSE, and I recently started using dyne:bolic and love it. I too should take a picture of all the live CD's I have on my desk, since I both 32-bit and 64-bit of mostly everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have 40+ cds :)

Amazing how the idea of customization to individuals can open up so many computing possibilities :D