PDA

View Full Version : Windows Superamacy

wPwLUi3N
December 31st, 2007, 04:58 AM
I will be very grateful if you can take few minutes and review a reply on my article on Windows and Linux->

Windows Supremacy

This diatribe is an outburst of frustration simmering inside me ever since I left the windows operating system and moved to Linux. Being an computer science graduate in the making plus a 6 month introductory course on Linux in my kitty I thought I have copious knowledge to take the next big step, to make a life changing revolutionary transaction from Windows to Linux. Hitherto, I definitely did not see the pain accompanying it.

Being minion of Windows for almost ten years not knowing their exist an alternative, i did expect some technical problems to crop up, but as i grapple with them a new perspective started to emerge in my mind, a pristine vista i never thought i could see started to pigment my intellectual canvas. After a lot of pondering a stark image seems to emerge from the faint sketch which veer mind towards a unforeseen course. Slowly but surely i begin to comprehend that the problems are not technical but result of the crass policy employed by a software giant to make the world addicted to it, making the
change too agonizing to bear for most. More discomfort i face more committed i became to pull myself through.

Windows, so called best operating system in the world has a pitch black dark shadow casted by its ever luminescent halo. It has turned the computer world (at least personal computers) a servile servant under its tyrannous monocracy. Seeing my vituperation you must thinking this bloke is really antagonistic toward windows and his judgment seem to be shrouded by prejudices bias against Microsoft (maybe paid by Google). But my views are tentative not dogmatic and are based on pragmatic evidences. Below i present my avowals which I reached after scrutinizing my struggle which can be easily observed, especially if you have tried the big transaction. Also which is easy to see, is also easy to overlook so i behest your contemplation.

First and foremost is the extent of the hardware manufactures unflinching support Microsoft has garnered, providing its products unscrupulous advantage, making others available options look asinine (even though they seem to be much better). Most of the hardware designed today is created exclusively for windows and more over they blatantly put a vinyl sticker boasting it. What consumer fail to see is that by buying this hardware you are more or less stuck with Windows. I must say though very few manufactures do provide drivers for other operating systems increasing compatibility, their after sale support for them is appalling.This is a very effective method since no software is good until it is able to capitalize all your hardware efficiently. Also computer being a holistic device a signle non functional device can bring the whole system down.

Second, majority of software package created by software companies are windows targeted even though now a large number of architecture neutral platforms are available. I bet Microsoft is taking its share of meat out of the sale.

Third, when you buy an device which is designed to work in tandem with your digital box such as mobile phones, digital cameras, etc., the communication softwares are again only windows based. For example, the Nokia does not provide a PC Suite software any other operating system other than windows.Why?

Fourth, When you buy a laptop, notebook or a desktop from a branded showroom they forcibly bundle a Windows with it adding to the already hyper cost. Even if you refuse the operating system the discount they give you is a pittance which less than quarter of actual market price, conning you to believe that you are getting razor sharp deal. Why not give a free one such as Linux as an alternative? Probably because they think you are too dependent on windows and they do not want to miss a opportunity to cash on you, with Microsoft.

One reason for windows popularity in my country is piracy. You goto a torrent, download which ever version you want and distribute as many copies as you want. Even after all that blabbering about billions of dollars being lost every year, these software companies are one benefiting from piracy the most. It may be a little tricky to see but a little thought on the fact that reluctance of these companies to crack down on these pirated version is a very smart move. They do not monitor household PCs, but the software license of Computers in offices are mercilessly monitored. Reason for such an anomalous behavior is that this piracy makes the paid software free for a regular person with cost not being a deterrent to change. With time people get so accustomed to use them they refuse any change what so ever even in their professional lifes. Companies have little choice but to buy paid license of these softwares, even though free alternatives are available which may lower their production cost.

Personally i think windows is a acceptable operating system albeit it has uncountable flaws but addiction to it is a severe obstacle in personal and global appetite for better softwares.

But the aphorism "Software is like sex, enjoyed most when they are free", still stands an axiom.

Source : My Blog (http://anujpathania.blogspot.com/2008/06/windows-supremacy.html)

JohnnyBoy022
December 31st, 2007, 05:01 AM
Very nice :)

eolson
December 31st, 2007, 05:07 AM
=D>=D>=D>
I think they're clapping.
We need a beer smilie!

Whiffle
December 31st, 2007, 05:14 AM
Not bad. But, next time pleease put down the thesaurus. Big words are okay, but when you're launching them with a machine gun, it becomes tedious to read and tends to damage the point you're trying to make.

jken146
December 31st, 2007, 05:18 AM
Not bad. But, next time pleease put down the thesaurus. Big words are okay, but when you're launching them with a machine gun, it becomes tedious to read and tends to damage the point you're trying to make.

Lol

bodhi.zazen
December 31st, 2007, 05:37 AM
I agree with everything you say. Most of you points fall under free as in free speech.

Commercial hardware/software corporations are out to make money. I really do not think they care if they sell you Windows or Linux.

Traditionally the Linux community has undercurrents of free as in free beer.

Bottom line, If we want to work with for-profit corporations we need to pay them. I am not sure I see the Linux community willing to do that as of yet.

My hope is to see change in ethics of both the corporations and the community.

################################################## ############
# Donate
################################################## ############

Just a comment about Linux being "free". Yes it is true, but are you willing to contribute to the cause?

By that I only mean to point out that many of the applications in the open source community are written and maintained by developers.

If you like this service consider donating 25-50 $ yearly to your favorite developer, application, ubuntu, whatever. This will keep the Linux community going and is certainly a small investment in return for the service. Think of like contributing to NPR or PBS.

...The beer may be free, but you should tip the bartender 8)

The other thing lacking in Open Source is Support. I am not saying support is good on the Windows side, it is not. The term "user debugged software" arises from the Windows method. I am saying there is an opportunity for the open source community to make inroads.

PartickThistle
December 31st, 2007, 05:41 AM
It's Supremacy.

RRS
December 31st, 2007, 06:00 AM
Well done!
The points made about using(allowing?) piracy as a marketing tactic were especially good.

I found myself with the same thoughts by the second paragraph but then noticed your location and decided that maybe English wasn't your first language. You might give some thought to a bit of editing as I think a "lighter"read may find a larger audience.

Overall though it's obvious you've given some time and effort to understanding the subject.

kamaboko
December 31st, 2007, 06:08 AM

Now that I know I'm not the first person to poke at your essay construction, let me say that you "really" need to work on grammar and punctuation. Toss the big words and go for smaller, more concise sentences. I know a second language is not easy. I grapple with it as well.

Whiffle
December 31st, 2007, 06:11 AM
I found myself with the same thoughts by the second paragraph but then noticed your location and decided that maybe English wasn't your first language. You might give some thought to a bit of editing as I think a "lighter"read may find a larger audience.

Overall though it's obvious you've given some time and effort to understanding the subject.

Exactly. It seems to me that it would be better to use fewer, but more carefully chosen words. Too many big words make it feel overly inimidating or obfuscated. While we're on the subject, there are a few spelling errors here and there, but hey, this isn't English class, this is the internet! :)

PartickThistle
December 31st, 2007, 06:24 AM
While we're on the subject, there are a few spelling errors here and there, but hey, this isn't English class, this is the internet! :)

Indeed, but if you're asking for a critique of written work, spelling the title correctly is a good start if you want a positive review.

wPwLUi3N
December 31st, 2007, 08:29 AM
Thank you for your valuable time.

I will make sure that I built myself on your constructive criticism.

As correctly identified English is my second language and writing is my new year resolution. And will try hard to improve.

And sorry about the title, my bad.

EdThaSlayer
December 31st, 2007, 10:04 AM
A really good article. Except that I don't think that piracy is the case, it's just that nobody has really heard of Linux, and if they have heard of it they probably think its some techie operating system on the command line. Also, I have seen pirated copies of Fedora Core 7 and Red hat where I'm at the moment.

bigbrovar
December 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Nice article .. and i must say that here in my country the number one reason pple use windows is bcus of piracy.. most pple here dont even know the price of an original vista / xp as long has they can get it for less than $3 at the local black market .. another thing working against linux is the lack of awareness.. Ubuntu maybe very popular by Linux standard but..almost everybody i have met have never heard of it before.. most pple dont know what it is. and i most confess even yours truly use to think Ubuntu was a kind of laptop maker..before i it was introduced to me by a friend.. the biggest problem of Linux is that billions of pple are in the dark..about all the progress that has been made by Linux distros like Ubuntu and others

salsafyren
December 31st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Good rant, I completely agree.

I think that a lot of people steer away from working in IT because of the Microsoft empire - I know I did.

Microsoft ultimately brings incompetence and lousy products. A lot of time and money is wasted on Microsoft ****** products. This is not only caused by Microsoft alone, but by incompetence of closed source developers.

Microsoft has caused so much grief in the history of software that it is hard not to cry.

It is true that it is very hard to be a Linux user in a Microsoft world. Today there is still a mono culture thinking in IT / IT related products so you MUST use a Microsoft product to be compatible. However, standards like USB mass storage, document formats, efforts like Firefox really make a difference - this is where Microsoft tries to impose their ****** standards on us.

I refuse to use Microsoft products and I refuse to buy any of their crap. It is time to stop the giant.

Bruce M.
December 31st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well said. :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Dark Hornet
December 31st, 2007, 05:44 PM

LOL...exactly what I was thinking.