PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Translation help; or "gah! stupid cheap hardware!"

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 02:53 AM
Background info first: my desktop PC (Pentium D) was packaged as a "bilingual" computer. The end-user was supposed to choose between Spanish and English during the initial setup process. I chose English, and the BIOS rebelled and set itself up in Spanish anyway.

So, this morning when I boot it up, I get this:

¡ERROR: Fallo en el sistema de ventilación
Su PC debe repararse para evitar daños en el sistema.
Now, I know enough Spanish to believe that I can translate that accurately, but if someone more fluent than I can confirm, I'd appreciate it. Anyway, this is my understanding:

ERROR!: Ventilation system failure.
Your PC needs to be repaired to avoid damage.
I'm positive about the "ventilation system" part, and that it's broken (I have other evidence for that), but I thought I'd make sure I've got the whole thing right.

Anyway, the fans are currently only failing on some bootups, and the box hasn't overheated yet, but obviously I'm going to have to put some time and/or money into this.

Actually, come to think of it, this post is really mainly to say "gah!"

Gah!

(this PC is about 8 months old, btw).

amingv
December 31st, 2007, 03:23 AM
Ok... since you already said GAH!!!, here's the not-so-important part:

Yes, that's pretty much what it says.

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 03:45 AM
Thanks for confirming.

Now, I hope I can get this fixed without having to say "Gah!" too many more times.

hhhhhx
December 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
GAH!!

Gogle transalate :

ERROR: Bug in the ventilation system
Your PC should be repaired to prevent damage to the system.

tgalati4
December 31st, 2007, 06:24 AM
I have a pentium D and the motherboard (Aopen) has a BIOS warning that sounds a klaxon whenever the CPU fan looses power or falls below a minimum RPM level. Put your finger in the fan and stop it and see what happens.

Perhaps the fan is dirty and needs some oleo.

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 06:33 AM
I have a pentium D and the motherboard (Aopen) has a BIOS warning that sounds a klaxon whenever the CPU fan looses power or falls below a minimum RPM level. Put your finger in the fan and stop it and see what happens.

Perhaps the fan is dirty and needs some oleo.
I've actually been hoping that's the problem. It is dirty inside, and I wasn't able to give it a thorough cleaning today, as I only had about four seconds of compressed air left. Obtaining some more and giving it the thorough cleaning is on the menu for tomorrow.

Current uptime is just under five hours, and both fans seem to be working fine, so I guess this is looking more and more like a dust issue. :) Crossing my fingers.

p_quarles
January 7th, 2008, 05:34 AM
For what it's worth, I think I've figured this out.

I neglected to mention before that in the two days prior to this warning, one of the fans was frequently making a buzzing noise. That went away, as did the warning, after a good cleaning.

But: the buzzing noise came back today. I opened up the case, and started spinning both fans around to try to replicate the buzzing. The case has two fans: one directly above the CPU, and one that pushes air out of the back vent. The latter, I discovered, has blades that are very poorly mounted. They can be easily moved -- along the axle -- toward or away from the vent. After I moved it away from the vent, the buzzing went away. I am guessing that this horizontal mobility was also responsible for the Spanish-language warning I got.

In the spirit of wishful thinking, I am marking this solved. ;)

Lostincyberspace
January 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Why was it in spanish?