PDA

View Full Version : linux needs to run on windows

rabid9797
December 31st, 2007, 01:43 AM
sorry for the misleading title but now that i have your attention:

http://rixstep.com/1/1/20070724,00.shtml

this is an article i just stumbled upon, they are emails in response to an article about linux as an alternative to Vista. i could stop laughing at them. :lolflag:

-grubby
December 31st, 2007, 01:46 AM
btw it does. Ubuntu can install on windows: http://wubi-installer.org/

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 01:48 AM
Yeah, that guy's posts are famous. I can't remember where he first made them, but I believe that a lot of people thought he was just playing dumb.

~LoKe
December 31st, 2007, 01:52 AM
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Redache
December 31st, 2007, 01:54 AM
Unbelievable. Truly.

I hope to god that he doesn't work in a region of the IT industry because that would just be shocking.

:lolflag:

He probably does though...

Bllasae
December 31st, 2007, 01:56 AM
I Lol'd at the part that said Windows Vista ran twice as fast as Windows XP.

FuturePilot
December 31st, 2007, 01:58 AM
Wow :shock:

:lolflag::lolflag:

new2*buntu
December 31st, 2007, 02:26 AM
:lolflag:

HermanAB
December 31st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Well, you could install VMware on Windows and then install Linux in a VM...

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 02:32 AM
Well, you could install VMware on Windows and then install Linux in a VM...
And vice versa, but it still wouldn't be running "in" Windows in the way that the infamous Jerry Lee Cooper believes it has to. The VM runs on the virtualized hardware, which in turn is being executed by the host OS.

This guy seems to believe (although I'm sure he was putting people on) that the BIOS itself is part of Windows.

bruce89
December 31st, 2007, 04:03 AM
I can't remember where he first made them, but I believe that a lot of people thought he was just playing dumb.

Either here, or on Digg, I can't remember.

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Either here, or on Digg, I can't remember.
Yeah, that's it: it was Digg. Someone posted a link here to that discussion, as well.

Griff
December 31st, 2007, 06:29 AM
How do you respond to something like that? One of my favorite lines was:
"Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function."
I broke out laughing on this one:
"But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available."

perlluver
December 31st, 2007, 06:36 AM
:lolflag: Just to funny. I have known about Linux since I was 15, when Windows 95 was around. Just WOW! :lolflag:

-grubby
December 31st, 2007, 06:37 AM
As another thought :lolflag:

p_quarles
December 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM
I broke out laughing on this one:
"But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available."
Yeah, same here, but this is also what made me think this guy is playing stupid: he's absolutely right about the difference between the high-level elements of the OS and the kernel. Once you understand that difference, it's kind of hard to mistake Linux for an entire OS that needs the Windows kernel to run.

The guy was just trolling for larfs.

init1
December 31st, 2007, 06:55 AM
sorry for the misleading title but now that i have your attention:

http://rixstep.com/1/1/20070724,00.shtml

this is an article i just stumbled upon, they are emails in response to an article about linux as an alternative to Vista. i could stop laughing at them. :lolflag:
lol i actually stumbled upon the same article today.

Sukarn
December 31st, 2007, 09:35 AM
That guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

beniwtv
December 31st, 2007, 11:42 AM
errr.... ROFL?

I don't know if I should cry or laugh at that.

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

... I think I'll laugh.

G. Cotgreave
January 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I just stubled on that page myself. My God this guy is HILLARIOUS!!!!
Do you think that this guy owns a computer or not? hahahahaha

koleoptero
January 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
OMG :shock: When I first read the responses in this thread I though "well OK what he says must be stupid but it might also be a classic linux-geek reaction to something concerning windows". But NO. This guy is indeed an idiot. And his idiocy is infuriating as far as I'm concerned. I mean these things he wrote should be erased ASAP! :shock:

wieman01
January 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I think this blog is bogus... the guy is pulling our leg. There is a MAC screenshot (http://rixstep.com/4/0/buy/) posted on his website. What does this tell us? That he is well aware that OSes can indeed run without Windows.

But it's a funny read anyway... with a pinch of salt.

Zero Prime
January 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I couldn't even laugh at this. I was hoping this was a joke but I wondered if this man truly is this stupid. It's people like this that make me wish they would take the warning labels off of everything and let natural selection take it's course.

Dan_Dranath999
January 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM
The creature known as Jerry Lee Cooper MUST be destroyed.

Or declared some kind of DEAF & BLIND GOD in an exotic and prehistoric island far hidden in the pacific ocean, like Ponapé or something.

Source of Pain: http://education.zdnet.com/?p=908

NovaAesa
January 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
*bangs head agaist wall*

Blondie
January 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
This bit,

"Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years"

does reveal a kind of truth that isn't often spoken. Measured in terms of the market value of the developer man hours Linux did take billions of dollars to get to where it is, as shown here (http://people.debian.org/~jgb/debian-counting/counting-potatoes/).