PDA

View Full Version : hdmi vs dvi vs component

software pimp
December 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM
I've been looking around for HD equipment and recently came across a small dilemma.

My TV supports 720p - but the question i have is if i my media source is digital does it really matter if i use the DVI/HDMI cable ( $20 retail) or the s-video that came with the video card (geforce Fx 5500 - 256MB) and for future purposes, if i get a hd source (dvd /receiver) do i really need to invest in the HDMI cables or am i good with the analog?:confused:
is there any real noticeable difference between the analog & the digital cables other than the price?

hessiess
December 31st, 2007, 01:21 AM
DVI/HDMI are both capable of HD resolutions, s-vidio can only use standerd def

only s-vid is analogue

Pethegreat
December 31st, 2007, 01:21 AM
S-video is an older connector that was used for better standard def TV picture quality. It won't work give you 720p.

Is your TV an LCD TV? I know that some of the LCD TVs have a DVI port to be used as a giant computer monitor. If the TV does not have a DVI port, then you will need the DVI to HDMI cable.

I did not notice a difference between R/G/B and HDMI. I used component(RGB) on my xbox 360 for a year. I got a newer one with HDMI and I don't notice a difference. HDMI will carry audio and video in one cable. If you have multiple HDMI ports and don't want tons of cables, then use HDMI to connect your other equipment.

software pimp
December 31st, 2007, 08:47 AM
LCD tv - thinking of getting a receiver but need to know what input & output i should look for
ie (RBG) component/hdmi ?

prizrak
January 1st, 2008, 04:57 AM
HDMI - High Defintion Media Interface
Capable of both audio and video transmission and supports HD resolutions up to 1080p

DVI - Digital Video Interface
Capable of video only and supports very high resolutions (more so than HDMI)

Component - Analog interface
Capable of 1080p HD resolution and only transports video. Video is divided into the RGB components hence the name.

S-video - analog interface
Capable of 480p video only. Divides the signal into luminocity and RGB information.

If you want HD on your TV either HDMI/DVI or the Component will work. The difference in quality is fairly small, however from my own experience the digital interface creates a sharper picture that is noticeable by the naked eye. One significant difference between HDMI and Component is that the audio signal through the HDMI interface can be up to 8 channels (7 satellites 1 subwoofer generally) with Component audio is generally carried by a stereo cable which is only capable of 2 channels. Of course if you have an S/PDIF out on your HD source it won't matter.

A major thing to consider is the HDCP protocol that is generally built into HDMI and very rarely will be built into DVI. Certain content may not play without HDCP protection enabled. Also things like upscalling DVD players will often not upscale a signal that is not outputted over an HDMI w/ HDCP despite Component being capable of same resolution.

Another thing to consider is wiring. A Component cable + audio could be up to 5 jacks on each side. An HDMI cable will require only one cable/one jack for both audio and video signal.

As far as audio recievers go if your TV is capable of outputting in SPDI/F (be it optical or coax) you should look for a reciever that has such an input.

For instance the way I have it setup is that my TV outputs audio over optical S/PDIF to the reciever. All A/V input is going into the TV first allowing for the convenience of only having to switch the TV inputs without touching the reciever.

I would say that for HD movies/cable HDMI would be a better solution as a digital signal will not degrade quite as much as analog and will be less prone to interference. On the other hand most TV's only have one HDMI so it needs to be prioritized. Component cables work well for gaming and general TV watching as for the most part over 90% of channels are SD and thus will not be as crisp anyway and games are not likely to have realistic enough graphics to make much of a difference.

software pimp
January 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the reply man - detail is great - at least now i know its worth the $$$ im about 2 drop for this baby and i really hate those home theaters so building it is a greater cost but is sure worth it :):):)

prizrak
January 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Not a problem, feel free to ask more questions :)