PDA

View Full Version : Dell and DVD Playback

andrew.46
December 31st, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hi,

Just read the following:

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/12/18/38935.aspx

and the quote that stuck in my mind was:

.... we now include built-in DVD movie playback with all Ubuntu 7.10 systems.The experience we wanted is simple — when you put a movie in, it plays. It is easy enough for a child and an example of the steps we are taking to make Ubuntu as enjoyable as possible. Is that really the path of Ubuntu: "easy enough for a child"???

Andrew

zenwhen
December 31st, 2007, 01:05 AM
Is that really the path of Ubuntu: "easy enough for a child"???

Why wouldn't that be the path of Ubuntu? Why wouldn't we want the OS to get to the point that a child and an adult can use it?

andrew.46
December 31st, 2007, 01:11 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your comments:

Why wouldn't that be the path of Ubuntu? Why wouldn't we want the OS to get to the point that a child and an adult can use it?

But I believe that the OS can be used by a child now. But that child has to have some understanding of Linux, has to have the ability to troubleshoot, has to have the understanding of all the issues of DVD playback, licensing, Open Source, region-coding etc.

Take away the need for this sort of understanding and you have something like a Play Station, or a child's toy where you use it without any requirement to understand it.

Andrew

Teg_Navanis
December 31st, 2007, 01:26 AM
It's in Dell's best interest to sell a system that 'just works'. You say it is becoming a child's toy. I say this is the beauty of Linux: nobody's taking your freedom to tinker with the system away. Dell is just providing one more possibility from which we (or at least those who buy a system from Dell) can choose from.

banjobacon
December 31st, 2007, 01:28 AM
But I believe that the OS can be used by a child now. But that child has to have some understanding of Linux, has to have the ability to troubleshoot, has to have the understanding of all the issues of DVD playback, licensing, Open Source, region-coding etc.

I don't see why a child who wants to watch Blue's Clues should be troubled with understanding patent law.

software pimp
December 31st, 2007, 08:40 AM
Let's be real - the one thing that made Windows so popular is the fact that it is, dare i say this,
user friendly AKA dumb proof.
If Linux has this feature while maintaining its ability to be modified by the user to suit the user's needs then isn' t that the "path" of a true OS. Why would people want to use something that you trouble shoot for hours/days/weeks when you can get it right out of the can?
Understanding is a choice. I am jsu tseeing Linux for the first time and believe me when i say this - totally different world - it would have been a much faster transition if it just worked but now I have to dual boot while i get the hang of things (slow learner). Took me a week to get my MP3 working, now imagine some1 with less patience!

EdThaSlayer
December 31st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Hi,

Take away the need for this sort of understanding and you have something like a Play Station, or a child's toy where you use it without any requirement to understand it.

Andrew

Think about Ubuntu's slogan:Linux for human beings.
That child seems to fit into the category. All I have to say is, "GO DELL!!"

Spike-X
December 31st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hi,

Andrew
"But...if we make it too easy, everybody will be able to use it!"

And this is a bad thing how?

aysiu
December 31st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Let's be real - the one thing that made Windows so popular is the fact that it is, dare i say this,
user friendly AKA dumb proof. You can dare to say it, but it doesn't make your statement true. Windows isn't "dumb proof" at all. Try working in tech support some time for Windows users.

P.S. DVD playback is not included in vanilla Windows XP installation.

CCNA_student
December 31st, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hi,

Andrew

Most people do not feel like working for countless hours to get their computer to work. Why exactly would a child care about understanding patent laws, DRM, and the like? I see no problem with what Dell is doing. But maybe I am missing something.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

happysmileman
January 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
P.S. DVD playback is not included in vanilla Windows XP installation.

But the majority of Dell compuers have DVD-playback software installed on the windows machines. And now they have the DVD codecs on Linux machines as well.

aysiu
January 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
But the majority of Dell compuers have DVD-playback software installed on the windows machines. And now they have the DVD codecs on Linux machines as well.
Exactly my point. It isn't Windows that is "dumb proof" because it "has" DVD playback; it's the preinstallation experience that seems easy, because OEMs like Dell include DVD playback.

Even with DVD playback, though, I don't know any OSes that are "dumb proof." Most users put more effort into learning to drive a car or fix themselves breakfast than they do into forming good computer use habits.

software pimp
January 3rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
I am not saying windows is perfect but their objective was to make it "dumb proof" It still has a lot of bugs - trust me i WAS an avid user of XP (still use it coz i am in transition) but why would it be such a bad thing for Linux to work towards that. If you still have the source code and you can modify it to suit your needs is that a bad thing?

Not dumb proof? tell that to my Sansa e280 (check the forums on how to get playlists on it ) or maybe I am too dumb for Ubuntu?:confused:
maybe i should have said user friendly?
PS name me an item made by man that is "Perfect"

Linuxratty
January 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
"But...if we make it too easy, everybody will be able to use it!"

And this is a bad thing how?

When I used Linspire,way back when,I'd watch the people dissing the 'spire cause they wanted to make it easy for the average person to use Linux and I would ask the same thing.(Not trying to hijack the thread and get into a 'spire flamefest here...Just making an observation.)
I think it's great that Ubuntu will have DVD playback...I feel Dell is on the right track here.