PDA

View Full Version : CTRL-F and F11: shouldn't we choose just one?

sicofante
December 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I know it's up to the app to choose how to go fullscreen, but shouldn't the Ubuntu team encourage developers to go one way only? I for one, would vote for F11, but I wouldn't mind if CTRL-F was chosen instead, as long as everyone adheres to just one.

shad0w_walker
December 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Incase you didn't notice it Ctrl-F is already a fairly cemented standard in alot of apps for find. So it would have to come down to F11 or some other key combo.

Mateo
December 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
i'm not familiar with any applications that use ctrl+f. I'm aware of that combo in windows some, but not in linux. the applications I use are:

Epiphany: F11
Evince: F11
Totem: F
Mplayer: F
Comix: F

LookTJ
December 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
i'm not familiar with any applications that use ctrl+f. I'm aware of that combo in windows some, but not in linux. the applications I use are:

Comix: F
doesn't epiphany use ctrl+f for the find funtion

-grubby
December 30th, 2007, 11:20 PM
doesn't epiphany use ctrl+f for the find funtion

so does pretty much every other browser out there

bruce89
December 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I remember hearing a debate about this (maybe on a GNOME mailing list). Apparently, the F keys are related to window management, so people were saying that F11 should be full screen.

mdsmedia
December 31st, 2007, 12:30 AM

Comix: FI use ctrl-F just to see if it works in any app I need it. It certainly works in Firefox.

F11 and any other "Function" Keys should probably be left for user created aliases rather than software default functions.

insane_alien
December 31st, 2007, 02:42 AM
Ctrl-F makes me think of Find rather than full screen.

sicofante
December 31st, 2007, 12:29 PM
These few posts show exactly what I was feeling: this is a mess. We need some standardization and consistency to make the desktop work better for end users.

I guess I should post a feature request at Launchpad.

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM
Ctrl + F does mean Find in some applications I think.

Anything is better than "Alt Enter" (Command Prompt in Windows)