PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about Hardy.

Gigamo
December 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I don't really know in which subforum I should put this, but here goes:

If I install Ubuntu Hardy alpha 2 now, would I need to reinstall everytime a new alpha/the beta's/the final version comes out? Or does it update from itself?

Thanks.

danpre
December 30th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't really know in which subforum I should put this, but here goes:

If I install Ubuntu Hardy alpha 2 now, would I need to reinstall everytime a new alpha/the beta's/the final version comes out? Or does it update from itself?

Thanks.

It will update itself.

adam.tropics
December 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
It will update itself.

It'll break itself too!.....So backup first please!

Gigamo
December 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
It'll break itself too!.....So backup first please!

How so?

bruce89
December 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I wondered when this question would start being asked, it was the same with Hoary, Breezy, Dapper, Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy.

23meg
December 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
How so?

Development versions always break; that's why they're development versions. Don't use it for anything other than testing.

Gigamo
December 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Development versions always break; that's why they're development versions. Don't use it for anything other than testing.

Aha, okay :) I just burned alpha2 so I will try it out in the livecd.

Linuxratty
December 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Sounds pretty safe...

~LoKe
December 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Development versions always break.

I disagree. I've run Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy from the moment the repositories became available and never experienced any "breakage". Now, I realize that it's most likely that it will break, but not always. ;)

teet
December 31st, 2007, 12:15 AM
I usually wait for at least the beta to come out. Then, if everything seems to be working, I just don't upgrade until the final release. Of course, you may want to upgrade if they add a cool new feature :)

-teet

23meg
December 31st, 2007, 07:55 AM
I disagree. I've run Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy from the moment the repositories became available and never experienced any "breakage". Now, I realize that it's most likely that it will break, but not always. ;)

Depends a lot on how often you update, how much you know what you're doing, whether you're hitting the brakes and playing safe in order to keep things working, so on.

If one keeps up to date all the time, they'll always break. For an inexperienced user hoping to use a development version day to day, for purposes other than testing, it's safe to say things will always break.

-grubby
December 31st, 2007, 08:39 AM
well I used gutsy from tribe 3 on if that counts for something :)