PDA

View Full Version : CNN reports on OLPC

Tundro Walker
December 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Not quite sure when the CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/12/25/onelaptop.onevillage.ap/index.html) was (it's copyright 2007), but it's pretty positive about One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) so far.

I agree with the concerns of the neigh-sayers, about the technology gap being pretty big for rural kids to jump into. Their educators need to learn about the laptop, so they can best utilize it in classes. And that might be hard for someone who's never seen a computer before. But, you have to start some where. Kids are young and eager, and they'll figure it out even if an adult educator can't or isn't comfortable with it.

My biggest concern is that the low-income families will sell-off the laptops that have been donated to bring in a little extra cash. I'm also concerned about Microsoft sticking their nose in on the project.

tuebinger
December 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Sounds like they've really done this right. Water resistant laptops with no dust-sucking fans that are designed to last 5 years... perfect for kids! I'd be curious to learn how they really do fair over time. At least they would be a heck of a lot more stable than their Windows-based counterparts.

JustinMoco
January 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with the concerns of the neigh-sayers, about the technology gap being pretty big for rural kids to jump into. Their educators need to learn about the laptop, so they can best utilize it in classes. And that might be hard for someone who's never seen a computer before. But, you have to start some where. Kids are young and eager, and they'll figure it out even if an adult educator can't or isn't comfortable with it.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree. I think IT is so different from any other discipline, especially with internet access the children can learn about it by themselves.

I was sent to a public school (This is the UK so this is a fee paying school) because they did not have computers. This was 1981 and parents were terribly worried that children in state schools were spending all their time "Playing" with computers instead fo doing real work, and it was thought to be worth paying alot of money to keep your child out of that enviroment, and public schools latched onto that concern and gave the parents what they wanted.

For this reason almost all of my early computing knowledge was from books and magazines from the library and then later I bought a VIC20 and played with it.

Now 25 years later I get the same feelings about IT that my parents did. My 8 year old daughters school has hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of IT budget and I don't understand what they are learning in the "IT Suite" (and I've spent alot of time in there while lessons have been going on) . The idea is apparently to get children used to computers. I'm not convinced that is nessesary. Surely much better to give them an XO laptop (Which I would buy for my daughter if I could ) and let them work it out for themselves, They get used to using a computer, and the school gets an extra classroom.

allforcarrie
January 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
computers are a part of childrens lives in the exact way that telephones, tv, movies, comic books were when you were growing up.

happysmileman
January 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Dunno what's happening in England but there are a lot of people over here in Ireland concerned because some schools (like mine) don't allow students to access computers at all (though my school just got a whole load of new computers set up and that seems to be changing now)