PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart & Microsoft saved me $400

Tundro Walker
December 30th, 2007, 09:13 AM
There's been a couple Windows games I really wanted to play, so while at Wal-Mart picking up some stuff, thought I'd get a copy of Windows and the games.

Turns out all they sold were upgrade-only versions of Windows (XP & Vista) for $100+. I asked the electronics clerk if those could be used for a full install without needing a previous version of Windows installed ... he ho-hummed and didn't really say one way or the other. And, they didn't even have the games I wanted ... they had the 20th iteration of Deer Hunter Extreme and Lawnmower Tycoon, you know, the games kids REALLY want.

After getting annoyed, I started doing the math in my head, and it would cost me $200+ for a full-install version of windows alone, then adding in the games. It was coming out to $400+.

Then I factored in the annoyance of having to backup and re-install my Ubuntu (which I've taken care to tweak just the way I like) after Windows graciously hogs my whole hard-drive.

As you can tell, I pretty much gave up on the idea.

I guess it's true what they say...quitters never "win". (ugh, bad joke)

Sef
December 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I guess it's true what they say...quitters never "win". (ugh, bad joke)

Quitters never win, they just save money. :lolflag:

Bllasae
December 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM
You can check if it's an upgrade or not to previous Windows versions, you know, by checking the front of the box, where it says "Upgrade" in a box on the front.

CREEPING DEATH
December 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
LOL at least one of the Vista "upgrades" would let you do a fresh install, then refuse to boot. Then you re-installed, it detected the previously installed version of itself, and installed at booted!
I still wouldn't run Vista if M$ gave it to me though!

CD

Tundro Walker
December 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM
LOL at least one of the Vista "upgrades" would let you do a fresh install, then refuse to boot. Then you re-installed, it detected the previously installed version of itself, and installed at booted!

CD

After screwing around on the net, I found a site that showed how to use the "upgrade" versions to do a full-install. However, it violates license. So, while you can do it, it's illegal to do so.

It's ridiculous how difficult Microsoft makes things. But, they have the monopoly, and most of the shelf-software only runs on their OS. So, they get to make the rules there. Man, we need to talk Shuttleworth into boxing up Ubuntu and selling it for like $10 at Wal-Mart, that way it at least gets IN FRONT OF THE FACE of consumers to show them there is an alternative. Are they paying $10 for Linux? No, they're paying $10 for the packaging, the shipping, the shelf-space, etc that Canonical has to spend to get Wal-Mart to shelve it. But, getting the word out like that would help immensely.

Make Ubuntu seem like a low-cost, alternative "product" instead of a "freebie", and folks would probably start snatching it up in droves.

Get a version of "Deer Hunter Extreme" to run in Linux, and man, you'd have the Wal-Mart crowd for SURE!

Tundro Walker
December 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM

CD

Yeah, I had a nice chuckle when I noticed all the WinXP was sold out, but there were five boxes each of the Windows Vista Basic and Premium boxes left.

LOL!

eddin
December 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Maybe we could try droplifting some Ubuntu boxed cd on Walmart shelf.

Guide to droplifting : http://weburbanist.com/2007/12/26/shopdropping-the-subversive-art-of-reverse-shoplifting/

popch
December 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Maybe we could try droplifting some Ubuntu boxed cd on Walmart shelf.

On the other hand, perhaps they already do have boxed Ubunto or gOS CDs on their shelves, next to their Linux PCs?