PDA

View Full Version : sigh.. I need to make a XP cd

hhhhhx
December 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM
ok, this is going to sound realy wrong, but i need to make a Windows XP boot disk. Its not for me, its for my friend at work. His computer is getting way overboated and he needs to reinstall Xp, but he doesent have a disk. I thaught about telling him about linux, but quite frankly i dont think that he is ready to move on to a new OS. I have an XP disk i just need to make a copy of it for him. Is there anyway that i can do this in ubuntu?

P.S. : I'm sorry Tux :(

lisati
December 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Depending on how new his machine is, it might have come with a recovery partition or a recovery CD/DVD - is that an option?

Kingsley
December 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Isn't that illegal?! :shock: :shock:
You may as well download and burn him a new copy. Just my $.02.

hhhhhx
December 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
The thing is that he is extreamly computer illiterate, so i figgure that its better to start from scratch than to have him try that

hhhhhx
December 30th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Isn't that illegal?! :shock: :shock:
You may as well download and burn him a new copy. Just my $.02.

Holy Heck, i dident even think of the legality part. OMG. I guess that i am just so used to everything bieng free and opensource i just forgot.[-X

lisati
December 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM
If the OP's friend's machine has a recovery partition that's ina reasonably healthy condition, a CD might not be needed.....

hhhhhx
December 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM
If the OP's friend's machine has a recovery partition that's ina reasonably healthy condition, a CD might not be needed.....

I highly dought it, even if it were healthy he wouldn't know what to do with it. I figure that ill just lend him my XP boot disk

init1
December 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Making a copy of the disk is probably illegal, so make sure that you don't run this command:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=illegalcopy.iso

to make the ISO and

cdrecord illegalcopy.iso

to write it. Other programs like K3B and Graveman can do this too so make sure that you don't use them either.

KiwiNZ
December 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
He needs to buy XP. If he has a legit key but has lost his media , contact Microsoft.

I am closing this thread now