PDA

View Full Version : Still going strong:)

MinoltaLuvR
September 13th, 2005, 09:35 PM
the info in this forum has been invaluable, i'm on week two.. maybe 3 of using ubuntu.
EVERY single question i posed to myself i've found an answer for in these forums!
mostly little things, config questions etc. so i havnt had to post one question..
had to be creative with the search function though:) (though i feel i have a couple coming up)

i just burned my first Audio cd in linux, been sweating that after reading all the odd posts of probs burning. GnomeBaker just wasnt cutting it, not wanting to install anything KDE.. at all. i went with Graveman, worked like a charm!

some of the programs i have running thus far problem free:

Graveman
splashy
gdesklets 35.2
side candy app for weather, ram, hdd space, clock/calander.
Inodomesticsbar
Notificationbar
Monica (monitor profiler of sorts)
Xine
XMMS
Crossover office with photoshop 7 and Forte Agent (ps7 till i get Gimp down, Agent till Pan becomes more like it;))
Nvidia 7176 drivers with settings panel
amule
bittornado

i did try Tribes2 in here, and it did fire up, but i couldnt log into my account, so i removed it (i should have tried a local game, but just didnt care) i dont care about gaming in linux.. at all.

so to anyone considering trying this fabulous OS out, and you have some time, patience, and an ounce of courage.. go for it, there are some success story's, but most of the time, the only thing you see in forums is people posting with a problem..but thats okay, they make it easier on others when we need to search out a solution or two:)
i'm thinking of posting some screenshots in the gallery.. but done know if my desktops worthy.

good luck all, and thanks again to the many helpfull moderators, and experienced peeps in here answering all the questions. keep it up!

cheers
john.

tseliot
September 13th, 2005, 10:12 PM
It's good to read good news some times. Enjoy your Ubuntu, I can't get enough of it, it's my love ;-)

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 12:16 AM
i'm thinking of posting some screenshots in the gallery.. but done know if my desktops worthy.

Seems like you need some gdesktlets.

I'm glad to read that things are going well.

skoal
September 14th, 2005, 01:38 AM
[...] i'm thinking of posting some screenshots in the gallery.. but done know if my desktops worthy.
If they're anything like your avatar, then I'd say yeah. Please do. That's one of the coolest looking avatars I've seen in a long time. In fact, I deliberately stared at those repetitive flashes for about an hour or so yesterday, as an audio tape played in the background, "you will exercise tomorrow morning. you enjoy it. you will go running at 5 am, you love it...you will exercise tomorrow morning, you..."

Well, I did one whole pushup and jogged, not walked, down the sidewalk to get the paper this morning. Now, that's progress...all thanks to your hypnotic avatar!

\\//_

MinoltaLuvR
September 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM
heh thanks skoal.. heres one just for you, and yes, i love Grace Park, and i love the new BSG:)

hehe whoops... it wasnt THAT bad, so you guys dont think bad thoughts of me. heres a "clean" version (sorry skoal;))

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/1883/screenshot7ni.th.jpg (http://img355.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot7ni.jpg)

weasel fierce
September 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM
on the topic of CD's, I've found graveman to be quite good, and very straightforward to use

bored2k
September 14th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Ubuntu user for 7 months now.

GreyFox503
September 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I don't know why you don't like KDE, but I use GNOME exclusively and I love K3b.

MinoltaLuvR
September 14th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I don't know why you don't like KDE, but I use GNOME exclusively and I love K3b.

i've never really liked kde. cant explain it. kinda like why people buy fords or chevy's, if taken care of either brand will last you.. but they still have their preferences.
i used to not even like using gnome though, but seems their really coming along nicely. i was always a big WindowMaker fan.
which i'm still debating on giving a go on here;)

cheers
john.

skoal
September 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Nice wallpaper, John. I used to watch Lorne Greene in the original BSG. Sweet series while it lasted. I haven't seen the newer series yet, since I don't have cable TV, and to be quite honest, I really do prefer the old skool sound affects of breaking celery sticks and bending saws.

Houston, huh? Houston?? I have heard of this city you call Heww-stunnn. Is that near College Station, TX? muahahaha...

\\//_

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Houston, huh? Houston?? I have heard of this city you call Heww-stunnn. Is that near College Station, TX? muahahaha...

Houston is an hour and a half south of College Station (I know because I live in College Station....sitting here right now...and I go to houston a lot).

MinoltaLuvR
September 15th, 2005, 01:40 AM
heh, actually i live outside houston, college station is barely an hour from me.

as for the new BSG series.. its awesome. best show out there imo.
tbh, if you have broadband you could still watch them (its not illegal to download tv shows)
one thing though, if your a fan of the old series, your either gonna love or hate this one.. shame fans cant get over silly stuff, and just be happy someone brought back this series.. and made it incredible.
also Apollo (richard hatch) from the original series is in the show... but not in a role you'd expect.

starbuck and boomer (my avatar) are female in the new series.
if you do watch it.. go to best buy, or a local video rental place if they have it, and rent the original miniseries.. that final scene where they show the Galactica go toe to toe against a base star... awesome.. nothing like it in the original series.. you get an idea just why their called battlestars;)

cheers
john.

skoal
September 15th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Houston is an hour and a half south of College Station (I know because I live in College Station....sitting here right now...and I go to houston a lot).
muahahah...

whoop! '91, baby! Good to know someone else 'round here bleeds maroon...

Shoot, we used to drive on out to Galveston for the weekends when I was at TAMU. I remember that stretch of highway 6 going south to Houston, between Millican and Navasota. We used to call it "death 6" - seemed like everytime we drove through, some poor guy was off in a ditch next to his car, rolling around in the grass while patting out the fire. That was one poorly designed section of highway. I remember running by pig farms on my daily jog route to Easterwood Airport. They threw up the George Bush Presidential Library over that same spot where those farms used to be. All that land's been developed now. Hell, I remember Bonfire when it caught house rooftops on fire over where the corp of cadets drill, Simpson (?) field I think. Lots of good memories over at the Dixie Chicken with my prof buddies too. Back in '90, a bottle of Shiner could strip the paint off of walls. It was just that good. Now, it's just better than all the alternatives, which is still pretty dang good. That's some good land with good people down in them parts.

Anyways, much love to all my Ubuntu Texan homeys out there...

\\//_